Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 AM

713 posts, read 759,802 times

Advertisements

Stop and Shop's meat prices is good, but their Veggies are little higher compared to the other super markets. I don't really buy anything else other then meat and veggies at super markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM

199 posts, read 421,327 times
I think they could afford to price up in CT since their biggest competitor (Shaws) has downsized in-state. Aldi is a discount super-market, fine for staying in budget but the selection wanting, it isn't fair to compare the two. Price-Rite is more in competition with Aldi for the budget-cutting items, although the selection is better - produce is only good at certain times of the day there. Stew Leonard's is more niche, Trader Joes and Whole Foods similarly health-niche. Shop Rite appears to be the biggest direct competitor with Stop & Shop in CT now, I would say some deals at Shop Rite are better but the produce selection at Stop & Shop is usually superior, at least in my experiences (certain stores stock better and have better overall appearance than others). I agree with the previous poster about Hannafords being a good grocery store. The Price Chopper (a Schenectady, NY chain) is usually very varied also, and the prices consistent with Stop & Shop. They recently expanded into Connecticut, I know there's a store in Torrington and was one in Waterbury, I think I'm missing a couple locations though. I'm most often in the city or LI so Pathmark, Waldbaum's or King Kullen are the best local options. Would love to see Wegman's expand in the region - it's a Rochester based company, often among the top in the nation to work for, and has stores as close as NJ. They have in-store burrito, sub, pizza, pasta, sushi, and other niche food stations, plus large fresh mix & match salad, Asian, Indian, Vegetarian and other food bars. Price-wise a little less than Stop & Shop (then again I shop at them Upstate where all prices are a little less). One would do well in the state in a community not already over-saturated with grocery chains.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:36 PM

47 posts, read 87,535 times
got to LOL
i shop at a very small store in port chester ny. most of the time
they for sure do have better meat and get this... fresh veggies.. no cans
and the price is like back in the 1990,s... a pound of
roast beef at 1 dollor and 50 cents.. beat that...its a little store on main street
near a bank. close to the hardware store.. and i am teling you the meat
is very good.. anyone in my area at the port chester / greenwich line
just try the place

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I stopped shopping (no pun intended) there regularly when Big Y opened near me, and then after I moved I started shopping from a variety of stores: Whole Foods, Costco, farmer's markets, Robert Treat Farm, Trader Joe's, Aldi, ShopRite, etc. There's also an indie grocery store near me when I need something basic and quick (Beachside Supermarket).

IMO S&S is overpriced and their produce/meat is usually not very good.
Agreed especially in terms of meat quality and selection Stop & Shop isn't that great. Big Y's has a really good meat selection I usually go there specifically to buy steaks and other cuts.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:10 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Lastly, S&S is not an American company, so I try to avoid shopping there for this reason. Stop & Shop is owned by Dutch company "Ahold." Altho S&S did start as an American company it was sold around 1995.
At one time Ahold was rumored to have been interested in purchasing the Great Atlantic & Pacific Company. I guess they realized that Stop & P wouldn't be a good name here in the US.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM

145 posts, read 257,129 times
I've noticed it too. I'll usually make a 15 minute commute to Big Y in Massachusetts rather than going to the S&S right down the road from me.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,423 times
This morning I went to S&S. As I went down the frozen breakfast aisle, I couodn't help but notice the ice cream o my right. Almost half the ice cream shelves were bare. I don't know if I missed that there was a sale, and that stuff is sold out; or if they just got rid of so much stuff.

But it certainly made me go "hmmmm".

Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I was at Stop & Shop this morning too. I was mad because they did not have the large boxes of Kleenix I like but they redeemed themselves by bringing back the bag of rawhide bones I buy for our dogs. They had not had those for a couple of weeks now. Oh and the ice cream case was full here. I think Hood was on sale and there was a large selection. Jay

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
S&S does seem to vary a lot from store to store. For instance the one in Danbury on Mill Plain is much nicer than the one on Newtown Rd. I like the Bridgeport Ave store in Milford better than the one by the mall, and like both better than the Dock location in Stratford. Despite having the best hours, I've had bad experiences there and it seems especially unkept.

I still barely go anymore.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM

428 posts, read 831,860 times
Stop and Shop has gotten more expensive, but overall it is the cheapest store I go to (aside the 2-3 times a year I might go to Price Right). Generally, I prefer going to Asians, Whole Foods or the new Co-op in New Haven for fish, the Asian stores for West Indians vegetables, Ferraro's for Southern/Black food and Ferraro's or Whole Food for Meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut