Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 PM

6 posts, read 21,238 times

Advertisements

Hi,

In next 2 weeks I am moving to Bloomfield, CT to work for CIGNA on 6 month project. The location will be probably "900 Cottage Grove Road Bloomfield"

I am moving there with my small family i.e wife and almost 3 month old baby.

I need suggestion to find a best place to rent an apartment or house.

As my wife is home maker and baby is tiny my preference would be near hospital and market and try to be as much as close to my office so that do not spend much time on house-office-house traveling.

What would be the average cost of 1 bhk house ?

Suggest best place to live with the recommended apartment name.

Thanks,
Anil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM

42 posts, read 105,350 times
Hello,

There are two apartment complexes very close to Cigna: 600 Apartments and The Hawthorne. I believe they are both popular with those temporarily working for Cigna. Both complexes have their own websites with all the information. 1 bedroom apt would start at 1100 dollars. Heat and hot water are generally included as well as trash removal, snow removal and grounds maintenance.

Do contact the leasing office for both these apartments via email to find availability etc. Another good resource for rentals is Hartford's Craigslist. Beware of making any payments in advance on Craigslist. If the advertiser seems legitimate, I still advice you see the place before making any deposits from elsewhere.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Another suggestion: I am aware that Cigna has a large population of employees who work on a project basis, like yourself. If you can somehow reach out to a few people through their HR department, those people would be in a good position to advice you.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks Pinto .. Your information is indeed very helpful.. one of my friend who were there sometime back saying Manchester is best place to live though it is far from Cigna office .. He said the place around Bloomfield is forest and less population so not good to live and Hatford is very crowded and have some crime so not good with family .. Anymore suggestion will be really appreciated ..

Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,177 times
When I worked in Bloomfield, I lived in Simsbury, a nice quite little town.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Manchester is a good option as well but will increase your commute considerably. Manchester has good shopping at the Buckland Hills Mall and has a wider choice of apartment homes. It also has an Asian/Indian Grocery store (I am assuming you are Indian from the name). There is a recent thread called Manchester/Vernon apartments that has plenty of useful information on a similar requirement.
If you are considering Manchester, then Simsbury, West Hartford and South Windsor are also options but they may be a little pricier esp West Hartford. Since you are here for just 6 months, in my opinion, you are better off living close to work and then heading to the malls etc on the weekend.
In terms of being close to a hospital for your child, there is the Childrens Hospital in Hartford, Hartford Hospital in Hartford, St Francis in W Hartford and ECHN/Manchester Memorial in Manchester. If you are looking for routine care for your child then you should be just fine being near a Pediatrician's private office, of which there are plenty.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Bloomfield is suburban but has some shopping, it's not that rural. If it's too rural for you, and you want something walkable like a small city that's safe and close to Cigna, West Hartford is really your only option in the area. It can be a little on the pricey side compared to Bloomfield.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM

I checked the 600 apartments & The Hawthorne web sites.. their rent is pretty high >$1100 (good space).. I don't mind even if the sq/ft area of house is less cz I have small family and does not have much stuffs but rent should comes in my wallet $700 - $800 .. Kindly suggest

Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,157 times
$700 will put you in a really rundown apartment or a dangerous neighborhood. You need to go higher to get what you are looking for.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 AM

From what I can see, 700-800 will not be able to place you in any of the larger complexes. What you could possibly find is a multi-family home that will rent out a space to you. This may fit your budget. However, you need to be aware of location and also your family will have reduced access to neighbors and other families. Keep checking Craigslist and Hartford Courant and include Vernon.
I do not know if this is allowed on this forum, but if you do find an interesting rental on craigslist etc, maybe you can post the location here (not the actual house but just the street and town) and we could give you an opnion on the area. Senior members, is this allowed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut