Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

713 posts, read 759,802 times

Advertisements

I think the perception that CCSU is not so great is the caliber of the students that go there, they are usually not top tier grade students.

Also, your school can make a big difference in landing an entry level job out of school, as you really don't have much to base your qualifications on.

I know for a fact some companies, will only hire Ivy league type school students. I have even seen jobs requiring 3.2+ gpa.

It's all about beating the odds of landing the better jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furfina View Post
If you really think CCSU can offer you something you cannot get at Madison, you should definitely visit the campus and New Britain before deciding. Sadly, there is a lot of sprawl near that part of New Britain and in Connecticut in general. New Britain proper was once a vibrant city but like many cities here, it began to die in the late 20th century and has been subject to poverty and crime. There are still a few nice neighborhoods, but they contain single family homes, not places you could rent. It has a few nice features: a good hospital, an American art museum and Walnut Hill Park, but a lot of the city is broken down and poor and the part by CCSU is sprawl-y. I would strongly suggest your staying at the University of Wisconsin, which I believe has a much better reputation than CCSU, and I'm speaking as a life long Connecticut resident. Even having never been to Madison, I would bet my entire paycheck that it has a better quality of life than New Britain - walk-ability and bike-ability, good restaurants, cultural offerings, less sprawl. Rent is not cheap in Connecticut and you MUST have a car to get around here. You seriously should have some uncompromisingly compelling reasons to leave Madison for New Britain. I don't want to be a downer, but I think it would be a mistake. If you are still interested because of CCSU (which has an OK reputation, but not that of the University of Wisconsin) you should absolutely visit first.
Furfina - You really need to get out of Connecticut if you want to see real sprawl. Connecticut does not have real sprawl which involves massive new developments stretching over large areas. You don't really have that here. And you certainly don't have that near CCSU. All you have is some retail development in the West Farms area which includes one mall and a half dozen small tto medium sized shopping centers.

As for the area around CCSU, it is residential that is mostly single family but there are some apartments too. Several are right next to campus. We thought they were campus housing but were told by the guide that they were off campus housing not part of the school. Jay

Old 03-03-2012, 08:37 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
I think the perception that CCSU is not so great is the caliber of the students that go there, they are usually not top tier grade students.

Also, your school can make a big difference in landing an entry level job out of school, as you really don't have much to base your qualifications on.

I know for a fact some companies, will only hire Ivy league type school students. I have even seen jobs requiring 3.2+ gpa.

It's all about beating the odds of landing the better jobs.
Give me a break. Only a select few people go to Ivy League schools. Not all companies or even the majority only hire from them. I know CCSU students are hired by MANY major employers. Travelers name is all over the campus and I know they hire a lot of students from there. Jay

Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,782 times
There no sprawl around here... go to Salt lake city, Vegas, Phoenix to see mega sprawl... this guy must be not even from Connecticut

Old 03-03-2012, 09:54 AM

26 posts, read 32,539 times
Agree with hit or miss. Some areas are agghhh others are ah it is a city. It was ranked one of the top 10 worst cities in the US several years back. Don't know were it is now. That was the year CT had 4 in the top 10 and 4 in the cellar.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Give me a break. Only a select few people go to Ivy League schools. Not all companies or even the majority only hire from them. I know CCSU students are hired by MANY major employers. Travelers name is all over the campus and I know they hire a lot of students from there. Jay
I didn't say many or even majority will hire Ivy league type school students only. I said some companies will only hire Ivy league type school people and that is the truth, I seen some job ads with that statement. I got no agenda here, and no, I didn't go to an Ivy League school either.

My point is that when you come out of college, the school that you went to can give you an advantage for entry level jobs.

Local companies will try to recruit local for PR reasons.

I bet you the top tier schools get more recruiters from all over the country.

Again, this is just enhancing your odds of landing a better job.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:

Only for SOME companies, and mostly in the finance industry. It's far from the majority. And in the end, you're looking at 160,000 in student loans vs 60,000. So an extra 100k for a private ivy league? No thanks.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I agree with others on here that paying much more for education is a complete waste of money. Don't ever underestimate the burden of DEBT. I have a Master's degree from UConn and it took me 6 years to finally pay it off on my own. I don't even feel like employers choose me over someone else with a bachelor's degree, for hiring decisions (I could be wrong though). Luckily, I recently paid off all of my student loans and basically feel like I burned $19,000 for no reason. It's sad and it really sucks, especially because I don't love my profession. I hope things improve, however.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Only for SOME companies, and mostly in the finance industry. It's far from the majority. And in the end, you're looking at 160,000 in student loans vs 60,000. So an extra 100k for a private ivy league? No thanks.
100k means little when you land that upper management job later on in life because of your education.

Again, it's all about increasing your odds.

You think all those people that goes to the top schools are doing it for nothing?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
100k means little when you land that upper management job later on in life because of your education.

Again, it's all about increasing your odds.

You think all those people that goes to the top schools are doing it for nothing?
You're going on the assumption that only ivy grads land upper management jobs. That's ridiculous. In fact, at the most prominent companies, the first to go are the "above all" 40k entry levelers from Brown.

It's obvious you have zero experience as a hiring manager. Experience trumps education every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut