Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 07:20 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times

Advertisements

We are trying to choose between West Hartford and Rocky Hill as communities to relocate to. I am somewhat familiar with West Hartford from a recent weekend trip, and will be visiting Rocky Hill this weekend. A few questions:
  • Any thoughts on the weekday commute time between Rocky Hill (areas near I-91) and I-84 Exit 37? Any known bottlenecks or slow spots?
  • What are the resale values like in Rocky Hill for young homes...i.e. is there a lot of new building planned?
  • How common are sidewalks in this area, and access to bike trails?
Any other thoughts/comparisons between the two towns would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,118 times
Rocky Hill is a nice town. It is more suburban than West Hartford which is more densely populated and has an urban type downtown. If you're looking for a newer type house and a bit larger yard, Rocky Hill is the way to go. West Hartford has a lot of older housing and a lot of small lots.

Crossing from 91 to 84 from either direction is going to be somewhat of a bottle neck during high commute times. If commuting from Rocky Hill to exit 37 off I-84 I suggest going through Rocky Hill to Berlin(forget the name of the road) but it eventually crosses the Berlin Turnpike and just continue and catch Rt. 9 in Berlin.

Rocky Hill has more newer construction which is still continueing. As with many of Hartford's suburbs, this new construction consists mainly of colonials in the $450,000-$500,000 range.

Sidewalks are definatly common in West Hartford, maybe a bit less in Rocky Hill, but most newer neighborhoods require them to be built.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Exit 37 off I-84 is Feineman Road in Farmington. There are many offices in this area. The commute to this location would be easier from West Hartford since it is the next town over from Farmington. You may not even need to get on a highway to get there.

From Rocky Hill, you would need to travel back roads across Newington to catch Route 9 to I-84. This is not bad but would take longer. Without traffic it is about 25 minutes, with traffic a bit longer.

Rocky Hill is a maturing suburb which means it is developed but there is still some new construction. West Hartford is a mature suburb which means it is almost fully developed. I do not think that there are a lot of sidewalks in Rocky Hill and if there are, they are mostly limited to the neighborhood you are in. West Hartford has an extensive network of sidewalks. You could pretty much walk from one end of the town to the other without having to walk in the road.

As for resale of homes, both towns are desirable and homes will sell well there. I think West Hartford though is considered to be a bit more desirable (it is one of the most desirable towns in the greater Hartford area) and given the popularity of its downtown, I believe a well located home there will sell a little easier than a similar home in Rocky Hill. JMHO Jay

Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,953 times
The commute from Rocky Hill to Finneman Road should be fairly easy. Hop onto I-91 south to the Route 9 north expressway in Cromwell, which branches off as the Route 72 west expressway right in downtown New Britain to I-84 east, and it's the 1st exit off I-84 east, and it only takes about 15 -20 minutes.
You'll be on the highway the whole time.

Last edited by sun; 09-11-2007 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2007, 06:47 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
To all who responded: many thanks! We stayed at a hotel in Rocky Hill this past weekend, drove through some subdivisions, and also simulated the commute. Overall, really fit my idea of a traditional suburb, vs. what we saw of Farmington the previous weekend.

So far though, my wife is leaning toward the (more expensive) West Hartford...the walkability of the neighborhoods and the general feel of the area are quite appealing!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
rajmelk - You can't go wrong with any of these towns. They are all considered very good. I must agree with your wife though, West Hartford has a lot going for it and is worth the extra expense when considering how short your commute would be. Good luck with your decision and let us know if you have any other questions. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut