Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM

28 posts, read 46,623 times

Advertisements

Hello all once again! This was a post I previously posted. I have visited the area and found some places of interest but it looks like I will only be able to afford an one bedroom. I was told to look further out and I saw that Meriden has some rentals in my price range that are nice and are two bedrooms. Below is some info about me. But I wanted to know about the area and would it be worth the commute?

I will be moving / transferring to CT for a position at the West Haven VA Medical Center. I'm looking for a "good" place to live and area.

A little about me and what I need information on:

Single mother of a four year old
Afr. Amer.
late 20's
I have a vehicle but I will probably do PT if neccesary

Safe neighborhood
rental- apartment, home, townhouse, condo
price range- up 1200
1 or 2 bdr
Safe neighborhood
Good school/ before/after care

Churches in the areaAny suggestions, advice, and best places would be very helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Meriden has low crime, but too far. You can find just as cheap places in Derby and Ansonia, which are a lot closer. Meriden is not that great of a city and certainly not worth the commute.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Meriden is a small city and the schools there do not perform well on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. I know people with students in Meriden schools as well as faculty and they too note there are issues. The link below will give you informaiton on schools in Connecticut. For good schools look for towns where the schools perform at or above the state averages on the tests noted above.

Also Meriden is not an easy or convenient commute to the VA Hospital in West Haven. Have you tried Hamden? It is closer and the schools generally perofrm better. Jay

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Plenty of 2BR's in your budget in the VA area:

West Haven:
West Haven Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - West Haven, CT Rentals from - Realtor.com®

Milford:
Milford Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - Milford, CT Rentals from - Realtor.com®

Ansonia:
Ansonia Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - Ansonia, CT Rentals from - Realtor.com®

Derby:
Derby Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - Derby, CT Rentals from - Realtor.com®

Not sure why you're having problems finding one.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM

28 posts, read 46,623 times
I have tried hamden and I might just settle with a place I found there. I'm looking for modern and nice ( that seems to be the reason I cant decide on anything because the places I have went are older looking per say). The complex in Hamden seems to be the only thing in my price range that is nice and modern. And the school for that area performs average. I just wanted to see if there were any more options and I came across a complex in Meriden. Thanks for the feedback this is why I love City Data!!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
I just moved from Meriden and never had a problem. However, back in 2005 I did have a neighbor who put his mother outside in a chair a week after she died. Other than that it was pretty uneventful.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Parts of meriden are completely ghetto and very dangerous. Drive a few blocks north or south of record journal building and you'll think you were in the north end of hartford. There's two large apt towers there. It's really bad

Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicaljewel View Post
I have tried hamden and I might just settle with a place I found there. I'm looking for modern and nice ( that seems to be the reason I cant decide on anything because the places I have went are older looking per say). The complex in Hamden seems to be the only thing in my price range that is nice and modern. And the school for that area performs average. I just wanted to see if there were any more options and I came across a complex in Meriden. Thanks for the feedback this is why I love City Data!!
You're going to have to sacrifice the nice and modern place for your budget if safety and good schools are priority in most cases.

If that's in a good part of Hamden (not south Dixwell), I'd say go for it.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicaljewel View Post
Hello all once again! This was a post I previously posted. I have visited the area and found some places of interest but it looks like I will only be able to afford an one bedroom. I was told to look further out and I saw that Meriden has some rentals in my price range that are nice and are two bedrooms. Below is some info about me. But I wanted to know about the area and would it be worth the commute?

I will be moving / transferring to CT for a position at the West Haven VA Medical Center. I'm looking for a "good" place to live and area.

A little about me and what I need information on:

Single mother of a four year old
Afr. Amer.
late 20's
I have a vehicle but I will probably do PT if neccesary

Safe neighborhood
rental- apartment, home, townhouse, condo
price range- up 1200
1 or 2 bdr
Safe neighborhood
Good school/ before/after care

Churches in the areaAny suggestions, advice, and best places would be very helpful!!
I was born and grew up in Meriden. We moved to NY when I was in third grade though because the schools refused to take me out of "slow" classes. Some posters on here have told you that Meriden schools don't perform well and I think it's true...since I graduated second in my class with honors last year from a HS in NY.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Parts of meriden are completely ghetto and very dangerous. Drive a few blocks north or south of record journal building and you'll think you were in the north end of hartford. There's two large apt towers there. It's really bad
I totally agree.

If you go on the "outskirts" - way east side or way west side, or even South Meriden, it's nice there. But otherwise anywhere in and around downtown is undesirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut