Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 14,555 times

Advertisements

We are moving to CT from the midwest and are looking at West Hartford. Can anyone tell me about the area, specifically the schools as we have a child in middle school. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM

21,497 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Schools are excellent. It's a great little city with nice parks, a beautiful downtown, and lots of things to do nearby. As far as that part of the state, it'd be where I would live.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,835,494 times
I've always gone by this list to see year-over-year performance of WH schools:

Strategic School Profiles (http://www.whps.org/pubs/ssp/ssplist.htm - broken link)

Here's the home page of WHPS. There's plenty of information here that should help you make your decision:

West Hartford Public Schools - Home

Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM

625 posts, read 2,041,674 times
There are 2 middle schools in West Hartford, Sedgwick which feeds to Conard High School and King Philip which feeds to Hall High School.

Here's a map which shows you how the town is geographically divided for both of the schools... http://www.whps.org/maps/WestHartfordCT_HighMiddleSchoolDistricts.pdf (broken link)

Try to talk with parents whose children go to both schools, but realize that most people take a "my child's school is best..." line. If there are programs or specialty areas that are important to your child based on their interests or needs, don't be afraid to ask what the schools offer.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,949,492 times
West Hartford has three middle schools. There is also Bristow Middle School which does not go by district lines, but by lottery choice instead.

Bristow Middle School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM

5,987 posts, read 4,967,429 times
Agree with the inputs so far. You can't go wrong with either KP or Sedgwick (Bristow is a long shot if not impossible to get in, for a newcomer). I'm an Indpls native also, with a child in middle school...feel free to PM me if you need more specific details.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:29 PM

625 posts, read 2,041,674 times
Yes, did not include Bristow, because as rajmelk stated, it's not really an option for someone who is new and hasn't yet established residency, so they can't participate in the lottery until doing so.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,718,618 times
I have had two kids recently go through WH middle schools. WH is a great town to live in. Most of the area is very safe, friendly, diverse, welcoming. KP and Sedgewick are both fine, and I agree that you will have a tough time getting a spot at Bristow. If your child plays a jazz band instrument very well, or sings well or dances well, then you should choose a house zoned for KP and Hall High, because of the potential to participate in the Pops and Jazz show. Otherwise, both sides of town are fine for middle and high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut