Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Vision Appraisals is nice. This thread reminded me I need to get to Milford to Steam clean the carpets for my next tenant. I always drive down the block to the beach area. being near the water is nice but Im sure those people living down there had to evacuate a few times past couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 AM

327 posts, read 1,119,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm in the Bayview area too and my assessment went up. Looking at the Vision Appraisal site all of the houses on my street did too.

Not sure what you mean as the mill rate actually went down?
Assessed Value
Milford pre-2006 Eval $108,500.00
Milford 2006 Eval $267,810.00
Milford 2012 Eval $213,780.00

I guess our neighborhood was hit in 2006 and now yours is taking the bite in 2012. Either way the shoreline is getting the brunt of the tax impact vs the rest of Milford municipality.

The mill rate last year was 28.89, and this year they are saying 25.68 right? To me its about the same in taxes.

Either way we have to pay up. I bet mostly due to education and municipal employment benefits.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
You should be paying less taxes if those numbers are true.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,515 times
Default Tax increase NOT modest

I live north of the Post Rd & my assessment went up ~20% and if they approve the 25.68 mill rate, my property taxes will go up ~7%. According to an article in the CT Post on March 7th, the "average" house assessed at $217, 750 will see an increase of $241. Doing the math, that's a 4% increase. In the same article, Finance Board member Joseph Agro was quoted as saying "...some will see a reasonable decrease, while others get a modest increase."

First of all, I don't think my increase of ~7% is all that "modest" given the economy downturn & especially considering my personal downturn. I think a 7% raise would be considered MUCH better than "modest"!! Plus, if the average is a 4% increase, there must be a lot of folks with increases of 7% & higher to average out those "reasonable" decreases. This is the highest increase I've had since before the last evaluation.

While everyone in my neighborhood saw an increase in their assessment, mine was the highest % increase. I did question that, but was assured at that time that the drop in mill rate would compensate & I'd only see an increase of $200 or less. Well, my increase is ~1.7X that!

Obviously if the budget only increased less than 2% and the average property tax increased 4% then income from other sources went down over 2%. So more burden was placed on the homeowners once again!

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Milford-Finance-Board-approves-186M-budget-3390315.php#ixzz1tNvzNDFu"]

Last edited by dlrose51; 04-28-2012 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: typos & formatting

Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I have a condo in Milford. I'll need to take a look at the difference now. Last i checked I wqs paying $2100 for a small 1 BR. Prices haven't appreciated but we all know that doeant matter cause taxes always goes up which is hard to swallow sometimes.
My assessment was whacked by 28% and my taxes went down by 31% this year. Over here, though, properties are revalued EVERY year based on actual sales prices for similar "units", so for quite a few years I was paying taxes commensurate with bubble prices. This year, I get an $800 reduction, glad I finally saw it, and it's about time.

I'm of the opinion that taxes are a "forced extraction". Term originates with a 1940s US Supreme Court Justice, Learned Hand.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Can you stop talking in parables? Where is "over here".

Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrose51 View Post
I live north of the Post Rd & my assessment went up ~20% and if they approve the 25.68 mill rate, my property taxes will go up ~7%. According to an article in the CT Post on March 7th, the "average" house assessed at $217, 750 will see an increase of $241. Doing the math, that's a 4% increase. In the same article, Finance Board member Joseph Agro was quoted as saying "...some will see a reasonable decrease, while others get a modest increase."

First of all, I don't think my increase of ~7% is all that "modest" given the economy downturn & especially considering my personal downturn. I think a 7% raise would be considered MUCH better than "modest"!! Plus, if the average is a 4% increase, there must be a lot of folks with increases of 7% & higher to average out those "reasonable" decreases. This is the highest increase I've had since before the last evaluation.

While everyone in my neighborhood saw an increase in their assessment, mine was the highest % increase. I did question that, but was assured at that time that the drop in mill rate would compensate & I'd only see an increase of $200 or less. Well, my increase is ~1.7X that!

Obviously if the budget only increased less than 2% and the average property tax increased 4% then income from other sources went down over 2%. So more burden was placed on the homeowners once again!

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Milford-Finance-Board-approves-186M-budget-3390315.php#ixzz1tNvzNDFu"]
Yep, I'm looking at about a 7% overall increase too.

Taxes were pretty low here (for CT) for a while due to the low assessments.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Can you stop talking in parables? Where is "over here".
I'm in Virginia.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
I'm in Virginia.
I'm a bit confused as to why you are posting your experience in Virginia here? Virginia generally has an unfair fiscal advantage, being a high income state thy gets back $1.50 in revenue fort every dollar it sends to Washington. Maryland is similar, but most other high income states are lining the coffers of poorer states. NY, NJ and CT get back less than 70 cents on the dollar. Admittedly we've made bad decisions and kicked the proverbial can but it this dynamic is crushing. Also my sister is in northern va and her local taxes are climbing 5-7% a year. Not sure how are seeing such a dramatic decrease.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Re tax differences: I can't answer that question, suggest you ask sister about her mill rate - prop taxes are calculated annually at 100% of assessment, and assessment is based on recent sales. I'm in Loudoun County, maybe she's in Fairfax - could be my assessment decrease was driven by the relative sales prices of properties in Loudoun (on the so-called "Toll Road", about ten miles further west) vs. Fairfax County. Heaven knows my assessment was sticky enough on the high side for years.

Re: why I am posting about VA in CT forum? Because it's a free country that way, lol! Because it's GOOD for people to know that there are alternatives to doubled property taxes every five years. Because I get tired of hearing "the rest of the country is no better off than CT." Wilt, the less you know, the more susceptible to manipulation you are.

I don't buy the Fed $ redistribution argument. CT got ?800M from the Feds for the most useless project imaginable. There is also some element of sour grapes at being shut out of the so-called "Race to the Top" two years running - despite CT's self-touted school system.

How come I can access publicly available statistics for any school, county and state in the country where I live, when you can't where you live?

Who benefits from the information blackout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut