Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a smaller town to live in, and Essex seems very quaint and picturesque. I'm not too concerned about having shopping malls,etc. nearby.
I've done a bit of research already on this town and it seems very nice. Does anyone have any info they'd wish to share? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 03:59 PM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
Essex is indeed a very quaint small New England town located on the lower Connecticut river, not far from the rivers mouth on Long Island sound. Old Saybrook is a few miles away as is another charming town, Ivoryton.

Essex was voted recently the best small town in America to live.
See http://www.essex.com/

The town has some real nice restuarants, a charming Main Street, with no 'box stores' near by. Shopping is confined to the shops in town. For more shopping options there is the town Westbrook or Old Saybrook on US 1 along the sound.

Real estate is likely to be hgh priced.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:04 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Thank you for the link! That was so helpful!

Old 03-18-2024, 07:05 PM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Thank you for the link! That was so helpful!
I noticed you created this account the same time you posted this. Did you ever live to CT?

Old 03-20-2024, 09:40 AM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Essex is lovely. I grew up one town over and my mother lives in the town. It was on my list when I moved back. 4 years ago. You didn't give a lot of information, but I figured I would chime in with a few details if you are searching houses online. When you look at listings, Essex is has three areas/villages. "Essex" is roughly from Rt 9 to the river. Prices are higher in this area. It's closest to downtown Essex, the beautiful, historic stretch on Main St with shops and restaurants. Centerbrook is just east of Rt 9. Prices there a less. It's convenient to Rt 9 and still close to Essex Village. If you continue west on Main St, it becomes Ivoryton. There is a nice little regional theater there. House there are mixed. Some bigger and nicer, some more modest, a few a little rundown. Pretty typical of any town.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut