Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 24,592 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are locating from Long Island NY to the greater Hartford area this fall where my boyfriend will be beginning his doctorate at University of Hartford . We are currently living in a great apartment that is extremely pet friendly and just absolutely love it so this move will be a tough one. We are expecting to be in the area for at least 4 years and need some suggestions on safe areas to live, possibly apartment complexes that anyone has personal experience with and any helpful hints.

We are both in our early-mid 20s, and do appreciate an area that has great restaurants and shopping somewhat close by. We don't need an area with a lively night life; we just want to live somewhere we'll both feel safe and somewhat close to the university. We began some online searches in West Hartford and Glastonbury (Addison Mill). Apartment must be pet friendly, we have 2 cats and a small dog. I would prefer one with hardwood floors and somewhat walk able to places but the safeness of the area and a pet friendly building take precedent to all. A helpful management company is also important, I have read some horrible reviews on a lot of places

I will also be looking for a job in education. I will be certified in general education and special education birth-2nd grade (M.S.Ed) so any information on the teaching situation in CT would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM

I also wanted to add our budget is up to 1550/month, we'd like a 2 bedroom but a 1 bedroom would work as well.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM

42 posts, read 105,396 times
Addison Mills is a good choice and is one of Glastonbury's new, sought after apartment complexes. The only other one that will allow dogs is Griswold Gardens. It is close to the center of town and some shopping. Also has good access to highways.
You may also want to consider renting a townhome. You will still have the conveniences of an apartment like snow removal, lawn maintenance etc. Your budget should be able to find you a decent 2bed place in Glastonbury. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
For that price, you can rent a small house in West Hartford near the center, which has what you want. You're more likely to find a house which will take the pets, than an apartment complex. Commuting across the river can be challenging - I'd suggest living closer to U. Ha on the west side of the CT river. You're in luck with your special ed cert - special ed teachers are in demand. Check out Charter Oak online state college regarding programs to help you get your certification transferred.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
No point in going to Glastonbury as WH is closer and has everything you need for your budget. Glastonbury is nice but has less to do, less restaurants, etc. It's more suburban.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,247,479 times
If you land in WH make sure you have parking. Overnight street parking is illegal in West Hartford. Ask me how I know..

Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I have to agree that you should start your search in West Hartford. It is much more convenient to UHart than Glastonbury. There are not a lot of large apartment complexes in the area, particularly ones that take so many pets, so you might need to find a condo or house. You may want to consider using a local realtor to find a place or check craigslist.com. Jay

Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies. We have heard many great things about West Hartford and it is our first choice on where we would like to live. A condo or small house would be great since we would need the extra space for out of town guests but I haven't seen many listed now to get ideas on the different areas of West Hartford and whether or not what becomes available is pet friendly and it seems like a lot isn't. It is too early to actually search but this is a big move for both of us and we are excited to be relocating to the area but sad to be leaving where we're currently living. Thanks everyone again!

Does anyone have the name of a good real estate agent in the area?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I have heard good things about Amy Bergquist who posts here often. She has helped several people here including me and lives/works in the West Hartford area. Jay

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
W Hartford is the place to be.
Used to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut