Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 33,942 times

Advertisements

Hello...I am a police officer in Melborne Florida. I originally am from killingworth Ct and have family in Branford. I am thinking about moving back up... I feel like the family structureis a little more sound up north... can anyone provide an affordable town that I could research further (must be able to afford on a police officer salary..not the best money). Also if there are any other police officers out there can you provide any good agencies I can look into...

Thsnks for any help...

PS. How much more expensive is it to live up in CT as compared to FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 04:45 AM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Housing prices in many parts of Florida are now much higher then most of Connecticut except toney Fairfield county. In the Hartford metro area a single family home median price is 255K-compares to Melbourne 215K, Miami 376K
Sarasota 350K Ft. Meyers 271K- so it will actually be cheaper in many cases compared to Florida. Homeowners insurance here will be much less as well-especially for Killingworth compared to Florida. Nice townhouses in the greater Hartford area are now around 170K.

My next door neighbors returned from Florida in the spring, and said electricity costs here where much lower-although they have gone up here. They also said just about everything was more $$$- and they where tired of the crime and drivers.Taxes for real estate here are a bit more- but I know they are rising fast in Florida.

The once great difference between Florida and CT-with the sunshine state being cheap is gone- for the most part right now just about everything in Florida is more expensive- and in some cases much more expensive. A police officer position here starts about 45K a year -

Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM

All-in-all how would you compare Ct. to other places around the country? This is a big decision for my family...and quite frnkly I am a litle concerned about having to direct traffic in a snow storm...maybe thats a little selfish lol.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:15 PM

If you move to Connecticut- winter weather is something you have to factor in when living here. The best part is here they can have a foot of snow cleared within 12 hours here- if they have 4" in North Carolina they are in a funk.

Its just we are better equiped here to deal with adverse weather conditions.
Connecticut has positives like; Great places for kids to live- one of the top 3 in the nation; for women it rates as one the best places for opportunity;

Crime is low; The school system rates among the top 5 for SAT scores, There are strict ethics regarding consumer rights; Great public libraries; services for the handicapped and elderly; rated as the 'second best state for 'the smartest population'. Pro envirionment-anti polluter; Workers have rights and not are used as 'expendable' items.

Negatives are high energy costs; high local real estate taxes; economic growth is slow.

Compared to the rest of the country? It is a safe place to live, Real estate here is at fair value, great local services, schools, parks, public transportation, arts (museums,opera, theatre) Easy access to the ocean, Boston, New York, Vermont. Much to say about the state- spend some time here- and you will see what it has to offer.

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-18-2006 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
In June 2005 my daughter sold her Branford condo for $190 and bought a ranch style house in North Branford for $279. The house was a real fixer-upper, on a sloping hilly lot. This was the best deal they could get in the area. Housing is the tough part here--housing in a good school area. Generally cheap houses =high tax areas with poor schools (Hartford, Bridgeport, Waterbury) and crime. Our electric rate doubled this year, of course you have to consider heat and oil is high----my budget plan for a 2400 sf house is 5 payments of $422.00 each. (heat and hot water) I'm just painting a true housing picture for you, not trying to be a downer. Yes, CT has a lot to recommend it, but we would leave if not for the kids/grandkids. Two of our sons may leave once they finish their educations, they don't see having a house otherwise. The daughter who has a house--she and her husband make over $150 combined. heir house has had new windows, doors, siding, refinished floors, kitchen, and bathroom work. There is no garage.
What do your relatives say? By the way I live in a great small town, good schools, etc., but I am also older and on my third house. We are about 45 minutes to North Branford. My Mom lives in Cocoa--been to Melbourne--looks like a beautiful area.
Good luck with your decision!!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 AM

Branford is considered a very expensive town in Connecticut-as it is along the shore- there are many other towns in the state away from the shore that are a bargain-poodlecamper is unaware of this. And in Cocoa Beach prices for homes have gone through the roof- Branford residents are very wealthy, and think there town is reflective of the rest of the state of CT-it IS NOT.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Killingworth and Branford aren't affordable for the average family looking to buy anymore.

It seems like the quiet, nice, affordable towns (i.e. a decent amount of housing stock $275K and under) people are flocking to these days to get away from Fairfield County and shoreline prices are east of the CT River. Areas like Marlborough, Hebron, Colchester, Bolton, Willington, Columbia, Coventry and that general area. You aren't too far out since Hartford is still in decent commuting distance, but the prices are much more favorable than other places in the state.

The "Quiet Corner" in northeastern CT is affordable, but the jobs aren't there. You would have to likely commute a ways to get yourself to a more populated area.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 PM

All the information is greatly appreciated. Most of my family currently live in Branford. I know that Branford is expensive to buy a house as well as killingworth. I would be interested to know of a town nearby, within 20 min drive, so that I can still afford housing and be close to my family. Also I would like to be close to a city so as I can work. As I said earlier I am a police officer and I work for a city of about 100000 people. I would like to be able to commute to a city appx. that size to work in. I know it is alot to ask for but is there anything like that available?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:35 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
Poodlecamper is VERY aware of real estate prices in CT. Although I don't know about "real bargains" I do know that homes below $200,000 are usually1)out in the boonies 2) in delapidated undesirable neighborhoods 3)need significant updating.
There are many nice towns around Branford, but they are not cheap.
It all depends on what you feel you can afford. I've lived in Milford, New Britain, Ansonia, Naugatuck, and Beacon Falls---if you have any questions about these towns,just ask. Have you checked for job openings in New Haven, Waterbury, Bridgeport, Hartford?

Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 AM

Poodlecamper- an older Cape or small ranch in Vernon, Manchester, East Windsor, in decent shape- not perfect shape can be had for 195K- These are 'starter homes' in working class areas- not crime ridden rat holes or areas you deem to be undiserable. For a policemen- looking for A home at 300K and up is not realistic. For The needs of an 'average family'- just coming to the state on an average income - there are many options for homes at around 200-250K. After all the median price home in the greater Hartford area is 255K- pick up East of the River or another type of publication by the NAR- or go to realtor.com-

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-21-2006 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut