Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 AM

9 posts, read 10,658 times

Advertisements

As an Anglo I am finally leaving Qc. I have secured a job at Bridgeport hospital and the family will be joining me in a year. I have a mildly autistic son who will be 13. Any private or public school recommendations. Luckily, my housing budget is in the 600,000 to 800,000 thanks to a high cdn dollar. So my school district choice is pretty flexible. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
We can help you with the differences in area communities. We can help you with the differences between the school districts for "mainstream" students. Unfortunately, nobody here can help you with your specific question. Well intentioned people here will provide you with average class sizes, CAPT scores, etc., but it will truly be irrelevant in your situation. I strongly suggest that you get your schooling recommendation from parents of spectrum students.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM

9 posts, read 10,658 times
Thanks. I will repost under autism spectrum. By the wAy I stayed in Stratford and found it a lovely town.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollywood View Post
Thanks. I will repost under autism spectrum. By the wAy I stayed in Stratford and found it a lovely town.
I can't speak to exactly how Stratford's special ed program is regarded, but if you found it to be acceptable after consulting with other parents, your budget will go pretty far here.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
There are a lot of good towns in that area with good schools, but I agree that it's better you do specific research given special ed programs.

The higher ranked school districts in that area in your price range include Redding/Easton, Orange/Bethany/Woodbridge, Fairfield. Of course, rankings only account for top student scoring and have little to do with your needs.

Stratford is a very nice town. You'd probably like Milford too, and perhaps Fairfield. The character of many of the aforementioned towns is very different, so it'll help to know what you do and don't like (coastal vs. woods, rural vs. suburban, how important a town center or downtown is, how important things to do, restaurants, etc is).

Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,216 times
Can't go wrong with Fairfield with that budget - buy the best but most convenient location you can afford. Look for something like a 4bd 2.5 bath for better resale liquidity.

How are home prices in Montreal lately? It is crazy in GTA right now

Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Can't go wrong with Fairfield with that budget -
I would beg to differ with you on this. Although i do not know how Fairfield's special ed is regarded, i do know what a former colleague thought of the special ed program in the town where your family owns property. A town that by every metric is considered stellar for mainstream students. He thought it was abysmal. The attitude conveyed was one of: Your kid is bringing down our averages-Your kid would be better served by a private school-You're over-extended living here anyway(Seriously. I guess blue-collar doesn't make greenbacks). From an investment standpoint, your claim has validity. Real-life for the OP's situation, maybe your claim is valid, but maybe it isn't.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I would beg to differ with you on this. Although i do not know how Fairfield's special ed is regarded, i do know what a former colleague thought of the special ed program in the town where your family owns property. A town that by every metric is considered stellar for mainstream students. He thought it was abysmal. The attitude conveyed was one of: Your kid is bringing down our averages-Your kid would be better served by a private school-You're over-extended living here anyway(Seriously. I guess blue-collar doesn't make greenbacks). From an investment standpoint, your claim has validity. Real-life for the OP's situation, maybe your claim is valid, but maybe it isn't.
That is common in higher performing school districts. There are exceptions, but the OP might be able to get a better school experience AND more house for their money in another district.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,216 times
Quote:
True - I cant comment on schools. Op has to get feedbacks from real parents in this regard.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Oh come on now. Do you really think that is the attitude in Fairfield???

Fairfield is a large and diverse town. It is not that shallow and I highly doubt the school system is that way either. It does have its affluent areas and it has its not so affluent areas. I will say that the one attitude I see there is that most people want a good education for their children. That includes all children. I know special needs students who went through the system there and got an excellent education and their needs were well met. Sorry but I think you will find that in any town you have to be your own advocate for what you want for your child. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut