Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM

68 posts, read 391,864 times

Advertisements

I really liked reading about some of the things that are happening with New Haven in this thread//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...ts-thread.html(THANK YOU STYLO) and I was wondering if there are any major projects coming to or underway in the Hartford area. I might be moving down by Newington.

Last time I went to Hartford a few months back it seemed like while a nice 8-10 blocks, things turn pretty bad past that. It seems to have a lot of untapped potential though.

Mainly I'm mostly wondering about Hartford. So anything Happening? THanks

Last edited by slusher; 04-05-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM

3,969 posts, read 6,529,460 times
The Capital West building is coming down finally. At least the view off that section of 84 won't be so horrible anymore!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,673,096 times
they're also supposed to be constructing a new high-tech office building in Constitution Plaza where Ch 3 used to be. they've demolished the old building but last i checked, no new development has started there.
there's the Front St development as well where the construction seems to be complete but still not sure if they've rented out all the space.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,591 times
There are also plans for a New Britain - Hartford Busway: The New Britain-Hartford Busway although some people are opposed to it: Block the Bus! - Blockthebus.com | Take Action to Stop the Busway! (http://www.blockthebus.com/ - broken link)

Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,685,303 times
A bit off-topic, but this is a news story from 2010 and this story gave me hope. At a time when Hartford's North End is considered both a neighborhood and a scare word, FoxCT did a story on a resident who's committed to cleaning up her block in the Upper Albany area:

Google Image Result for http://www.healinglandscapes.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/53188288.jpg

And here's a story from the Courant about it:
Urban Flower Power: Gardens Turn Blighted Burton Street Area Into Oasis Of Color - Hartford Courant

Definitely worth a look.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM

633 posts, read 1,635,151 times
They are considering building a new high-rise apartment in downtown and also converting that building where Bank of America used to be into a mix income & (I hope it will have a new face-lift)!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM

34,637 posts, read 56,411,621 times
Hartford does have a lot of potential but a lot of momentum was lost under the Perez administration. Several major employers were allowed to leave the city during his administration. It did not help that the insurance industry is undergoing major changes with a massive amount of workers working from home thus meaning there is less need for office space.

Some of the empty office buildings downtown right now are slated for redevelopment into residential use. There is a big demand for rentals downtown right now. Front Street is seeing some action finally with a music venue and movie theater being constructed in the new but empty buildings. The Bushnell just annouced that it is going to assist with the planning and redevelopment in the area surrounding its theater and the city's new iQuilt project may help bring more development.

In the long term, ConnDOT's I-84 Aetna Viaduct reconstruction project may make the most significant change to the city since the highway was constructed back in the early 60's. Under the possible plan the massive 3/4 mile long bridge just west of downtown cutting along the edge of Asylum Hill will be removed and shifted as will the railroad tracks. This will help open up a lot of land along the corridor for development. It will be interesting to see what happens if this gets built. Jay

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

68 posts, read 391,864 times
JayCT any idea if the new mayor and his administration have anything planned? Seems to have not done much since he took office based on some brief research on my part.

What the heck are they doing to bring more jobs/employers/industries to the hartford region? I expected hartford to be a big, bustling city.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM

82 posts, read 236,527 times
The focus should be on lowering/reconstructing the I-84 viaduct and getting the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter train line going. Those two projects are Hartfords best shot at transforming into a bustling, vibrant city. In my opinion, the commuter rail is what stands to benefit Hartford the most out of any other project. I think both projects are still at the development/planning stage at this point.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM

856 posts, read 2,005,026 times
Check out the Hartford business journal...they try to stay on top of current projects, projects being blocked, and bids for upcoming projects. Hartfordbusiness.com is the website, I find it easier to flip thru in print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut