Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times

Advertisements

i use Taxact to file every year (both state and federal) and after finishing up this years CT return, i found i owe the state $379..

now first of all, with pretty much the same return i filed last year (comparable W2 and 1099 totals) where i got an $18 refund, how is it i now owe $379? that's a big jump.

second, after e-filing your return (where you don't have to mail it), what is the accepted procedure for making your state payment? do you just send your check to the same place as you would your return but without the return or to a different address? Taxact isn't offering much help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
i use Taxact to file every year (both state and federal) and after finishing up this years CT return, i found i owe the state $379..

now first of all, with pretty much the same return i filed last year (comparable W2 and 1099 totals) where i got an $18 refund, how is it i now owe $379? that's a big jump.

second, after e-filing your return (where you don't have to mail it), what is the accepted procedure for making your state payment? do you just send your check to the same place as you would your return but without the return or to a different address? Taxact isn't offering much help on this.
LOL (Not laughing at you but how badly the population got duped by the governor and legislature with the last budget.)

My accountant normally just hands me the envelopes and says "sign this, pay this much" etc. BUT IIRC, your payments go to the DRS. I bet you can find more info on the state DRS website.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:

Did your employer adjust your withholding due to the retroactive CT income tax increase this year ??

Quote from DRS website:
[SIZE=2]"How do I pay the tax due?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If you owe money, you now have the following payment options. [/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=2]
  2. DIRECT PAYMENT - have the payment automatically withdrawn from your savings or checking account on the date you specify up to April 18, 2011. (PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT MOST BANKING INSTITUTIONS WILL NOT ACCEPT DIRECT PAYMENTS (ACH DEBIT) FROM PASSBOOK SAVINGS ACCOUNTS. IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A PAYMENT FROM A SAVINGS ACCOUNT IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONTACT YOUR BANK AND VERIFY YOUR ACCOUNT WILL ACCEPT THIS TYPE OF TRANSACTION.)
  3. CREDIT CARD - pay by credit card, provided you filed a Connecticut income tax return on the prior year, by calling 1-800-2pay-tax (1-800-272-9829) and following the instructions or visit their website at www.officialpayments.com and select Payment Center. At the completion of the transaction you will be given a confirmation number for your records. All payments must be submitted by April 18, 2011 to avoid penalty and interest charges. A convenience fee of the total tax payment will be charged to your account by the credit card service provider.
  4. BY MAIL - by submitting your check or money order with Form CT-1040V, supplied by your software company or tax professional.
  5. TSC - pay using the TSC's payment only option."[/SIZE]

Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 AM

thanx for the info..
did the state tax really go up that much? that was a $400 turnaround.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
thanx for the info..
did the state tax really go up that much? that was a $400 turnaround.
That depends...you must be one of the evil "rich" ones.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That depends...you must be one of the evil "rich" ones.
HA.. me rich? that's a good one.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
HA.. me rich? that's a good one.
Join the club.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM

"Did your employer adjust your withholding due to the retroactive CT income tax increase this year ??"

they may have. but i made out the W4 the way i always do - claiming just me as a dependant.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
"Did your employer adjust your withholding due to the retroactive CT income tax increase this year ??"

they may have. but i made out the W4 the way i always do - claiming just me as a dependant.
Being retired I didn't have to deal with it myself, but it was an issue for my daughter and SIL. Their employers had to raise their withholding deductions mid-year to make up for the first half of year as tax increase was retroactive to 1st of year, or they would have been under-withheld. FWIW, $400 extra tax would equate to about $8000 extra income (at approx 5% rate). Or something else changed, etc. I would suggest reviewing printouts from TaxAct to see where the difference is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut