Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:23 PM

66 posts, read 24,140 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just recently received a job offer in the greater Hartford area for about 90k per year and I plan to accept it and move into the area. I just have couple questions.

1. I plan to live in West Hartford, but I heard the living cost is very high there. Do you think I will be living comfortably there with my current salary? I would like to live in a nice 1 bedroom apartment within walking distance to the downtown area. I am single, in late 20s and don't have much debt besides car payment.

2. Can anyone suggest any good apartment complexes near the downtown area of West Hartford? I am considering a price range of 1000-1200 for 1 bedroom. I saw one that is on 711 Farmington Ave, is it in a good and safe area?

Thank you so much for the help and I am really excited to come to CT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
You can swing a 1BR in West Hartford on your salary without a problem.

Rule of thumb says you can do up to $2500 a month in housing expenses (rent, insurance, utilities).

I can't comment on the building itself, but 711 Farmington Ave is a pretty ideal location in downtown. Very safe.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,717,990 times
711 Farmington Ave is one of a few apartment buildings that lines the street. The area is nice and it's perfectly safe, but it's not really within walking distance of much except for a few ethnic grocery stores (Cosmos, Cheers wines/spirits, a Russian deli, Walgreens is close by, etc.) The only thing to keep in mind is most of those apartments are older and smaller, and they don't modern amenities like gyms, pools or central air (though they do have wall units.)

South Main St. has several mid-rise apartments that are closer to downtown WH worth checking out. Not luxury apartments, but nice and close to everything - and expensive. On the lawns are signs indicating if there are units available and if so there's a phone number. Definitely check these out.

Apartments.com has an in-depth list of what's available in town. This is also worth checking out as well.

For your budget you may also be able to afford a duplex, and WH has several of these, some of them actually very nice.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,081,986 times
Congratulations...your salary is fine...you'll enjoy West Hartford. Welcome!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,444 times
Try the apartments on Loomis Drive which are managed by Udolf Properties. I think they would be within your budget and are walkable to the Center. I have no idea how they are managed though, so see if you can talk to others who live there or find online reviews.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,320 times
West Hartford has a lot to offer. Find a local realtor. You can find a three family home with two bedrooms for the amount your seeking.

Don't rent in Hartford at all. Car insurance is high and property taxes too.

West Hartford is Reasonable regarding taxes, town has a lot to offer.

Look on Mapquest. Farmington Avenue at the intersection of North and South Main is the best area. Nice apartments too on South Quaker Lane.

Stay West of North Main/South Main.

You're salary is a good one for this State. Congratulations.

The center of town in West Hartford is great.

Farmington Avenue runs a bus line into Hartford, very convenient.

You won't be able to walk to work from West Hartford to Hartford.

Watch the parking in Hartford should you drive unless your company offers free parking.

Working in Hartford, you could live in West Hartford, Farmington, Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield. These are the towns I would suggest if you go to work in Hartford.

Traffice on the highway is nuts into Hartford in the morning. Living in West Hartford could take up to 30 minutes via highway if traffic is bad but Farmington Avenue shoots you directly into Hartford and runs along side the highway.

Definitely though, look for a two family or three family vs. a complex. You'll enjoy it better.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,773,425 times
90K is plenty in West Hartford. Look at Craigslist, too, for apartments. Your best bet is a two family home, preferably with the owner in the other half. There are a lot of these near West Hartford center, which is where all the nightlife is for a young person. You are an ideal tenant, so it will be easy for you to find a duplex.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM

66 posts, read 24,140 times
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the great tips. Sorry about replying so late as I have been somehow extremely busy for the past two months.

I am going to move into west Hartford at the end of June. Since so many of you are recommending duplexes and three family homes and I have no experiencing renting them, can anyone tell me where to find a listing of those? Thank you so much!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Realtor.com or Zillow.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM

625 posts, read 2,049,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reslinal View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the great tips. Sorry about replying so late as I have been somehow extremely busy for the past two months.

I am going to move into west Hartford at the end of June. Since so many of you are recommending duplexes and three family homes and I have no experiencing renting them, can anyone tell me where to find a listing of those? Thank you so much!
Craigslist. The owners of multi-family buildings are more likely to rent their units on their own, rather than using a realtor (which is what you would see on Realtor.com or Zillow). If you get a chance, you'll also want to come and drive around, as often owners just post For Rent signs in the yards and find tenants that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut