Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM

652 posts, read 730,256 times

Advertisements

I like missing person stories. So I have read up on this one. It just another missing person. I think he went some where and killed himself.

Why is the police re-investigating the case? This is just a waste of police resources.

Investigation back on in case of missing man - Connecticut Post

The Billy Smolinski Missing Person Case

The mother of a Waterbury man missing since 2004 said Friday the family has hope "for the first time in quite a long time'' that they will learn what happened to him because of clues found in a patch of woods in Shelton that police have searched. Janice Smolinski, of Cheshire, said Waterbury police have agreed to re-investigate the disappearance of her son, William "Billy'' Smolinski Jr. The Waterbury state's attorney's office and the State Police Major Crime Squad is also assisting, she said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM

228 posts, read 262,477 times
Thank you for motivating me to stop lurking and to finally sign up here.

May I ask what makes you think he killed himself? Have you read much on the case or seen his episode of Disappeared? I'm surprised to read that opinion especially given that the police have finally admitted that this is a murder investigation. The Waterbury PD's handling of this case has been shameful and pathetic to say the least. Websleuths.com has a the most accurate review of the case I've read.

I hope the Smolinski family one day receives the answers they deserve.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post

May I ask what makes you think he killed himself? Have you read much on the case or seen his episode of Disappeared? I'm surprised to read that opinion especially given that the police have finally admitted that this is a murder investigation. The Waterbury PD's handling of this case has been shameful and pathetic to say the least. Websleuths.com has a the most accurate review of the case I've read.

There is no evidence he was a murder victim, ZERO. However, there is plenty of evidence why he would killed himself.

He was distraught over his failed relationship, there's plenty of evidence to show that. Do you know how many people are killed each year because of failed relationships? This is the perfect case of that. Atleast he didn't do a Murder-Suicide.

Why would he lied to a neighbor he was going away for a few days and ask them to feed his dog, yet he never told his friends and family. Yet his wallet and keys are under his car in an unusual spot. All these happen at the same time somebody decide to kill him and they don't find a body or one physical evidence that somebody killed him.

GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop blaming the police, they followed all the rules of a missing person and had to wait 3 days because he is an adult.

The police NEVER declare he was a murder victim, they said that it's likely he might be, only reason they said that was not to insult them. That their son probably took off or killed himself.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,361,347 times
Quote:

I just watched something on the discovery channel the other day about how it took a lady and the police almost 20 years to find the person who raped her. Granted, things are a lot different from 1990 (when that case started) to 2004 (when this case started), but missing persons cases can take YEARS before detectives/investigators even get a good lead on the case. And that's just the lead, once they get a lead it can take another 6+ months or longer before they even solve it.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 PM

228 posts, read 262,477 times
Why don't you get real and also calm down while you're at it? I don't agree with your viewpoint, but I wasn't rude about it.

If he killed himself then where is his body? I guess you are discounting the suspects listed in the police documents too, such as his girlfriend's son. Or the fact that his crazy girlfriend followed his Mom around town and proceeded to rip down all the missing posters his Mom posted.

Billy Smolinski's family pushes for further searches in Shelton (video)- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

"Police documents show the suspects in Smolinski’s disappearance include Chad Hanson, who is currently incarcerated, and the late Shaun Karpiuk, who was the son of Smolinski’s girlfriend, Madeleine Gleason. Karpiuk died in 2005 of a drug overdose. Shelton police charged Hanson with making a false statement and interfering with police for lying to investigators. Hanson’s statements to police had led to a large scale unsuccessful search for Smolinski’s body in Seymour in 2008"

And I don't have anything against police officers, most of whom do their jobs well (like my father and many other family members and friends) - honestly and full of pride. However, like in any profession there are going to be people who don't do their job to the best of their abilities and follow proper procedures.

Some members of this PD made flippant remarks to the press, they didn't take his mother seriously for years, and failed to perform basic searches - like on his truck which was parked in an unusual spot in the driveway and contained his phone, wallet and money.

Waterbury PD Reignites Probe Into Smolinski Case | Issues. People. Events.

" Eighteen months after Billy vanished from his life, the then deputy chief of the Waterbury Police Department, Jimmy Egan, told the Waterbury Observer that, "Billy was probably having a beer somewhere in Europe."
That statement was made with the full knowledge that Billy Smolinski didn't have a passport, his keys and wallet were found tucked underneath the seat of his truck, and no money had been withdrawn from his bank account since he vanished."

Last edited by Masterj; 04-09-2012 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: yikes - apologies for my formatting issues

Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Why don't you get real and also calm down while you're at it? I don't agree with your viewpoint, but I wasn't rude about it.

If he killed himself then where is his body? I guess you are discounting the suspects listed in the police documents too, such as his girlfriend's son. Or the fact that his crazy girlfriend followed his Mom around town and proceeded to rip down all the missing posters his Mom posted.

Billy Smolinski's family pushes for further searches in Shelton (video)- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

"Police documents show the suspects in Smolinski’s disappearance include Chad Hanson, who is currently incarcerated, and the late Shaun Karpiuk, who was the son of Smolinski’s girlfriend, Madeleine Gleason. Karpiuk died in 2005 of a drug overdose. Shelton police charged Hanson with making a false statement and interfering with police for lying to investigators. Hanson’s statements to police had led to a large scale unsuccessful search for Smolinski’s body in Seymour in 2008"

And I don't have anything against police officers, most of whom do their jobs well (like my father and many other family members and friends) - honestly and full of pride. However, like in any profession there are going to be people who don't do their job to the best of their abilities and follow proper procedures.

Some members of this PD made flippant remarks to the press, they didn't take his mother seriously for years, and failed to perform basic searches - like on his truck which was parked in an unusual spot in the driveway and contained his phone, wallet and money.

Waterbury PD Reignites Probe Into Smolinski Case | Issues. People. Events.

" Eighteen months after Billy vanished from his life, the then deputy chief of the Waterbury Police Department, Jimmy Egan, told the Waterbury Observer that, "Billy was probably having a beer somewhere in Europe."
That statement was made with the full knowledge that Billy Smolinski didn't have a passport, his keys and wallet were found tucked underneath the seat of his truck, and no money had been withdrawn from his bank account since he vanished."
I'm not the one joined just to talk about this. LOL. So, I'm calm and relax. LOL, I just like news and stories.

Anyway, back to the topic. Where is his body you asked. Nobody knows, he might have put a 20LB rock in a backpack and jump into the Housatonic River and sitting at the bottom of the river. There are thousands and thousands of people missing each year and never heard from again.

Those are not suspects, Why would those people want to kill him? Like I said, I have read many stories of how people can't go on anymore when their relationships ends, this case has all the ingredients of that.

So, why don't you answer why he lied about going away to a neighbor, and asked them to feed his dog, yet he intentional didn't put the keys in the spot where he told the neighbor?

How do you explain why his car was in an unusual spot with his wallet and keys underneath the car seats?

These are all the signs of a person in distraught and the start of something drastic.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 AM

34,642 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Please stop the bickering and just discuss the topic of the original post. JayCT, Moderator

Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,603,350 times
If foul play was involved then someone needs to be brought to justice. Until they know for sure that foul play wasn't involved, then I'm fine with them investigating.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
If foul play was involved then someone needs to be brought to justice. Until they know for sure that foul play wasn't involved, then I'm fine with them investigating.
There are thousands and thousands of missing people, should the police continue to investigate those too?

Look, I feel bad for the family, but it's been like 8 years and they still in denial and thinking every little thing is related to the guy's disappearance. Like when someone put "who cares" on her posters when she invaded other towns. She though the person who did that might have something to do with it.

All they want to say it's he is not the type to leave behind his family and the town he grew up in and loved. Yet, nobody wants to talk about this mental state at the time of his disappearance. The guy was crushed and in distraught.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,499 times
I agree with WMA. Police should actually make a disclaimer saying suicide is as much considered as murder. The family IS in full denial, comforting them in their murder plots theories is actually not doing them in any favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut