Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM

633 posts, read 1,635,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I definately hear an accent from folks from Hamden and New Haven. It is distinct. Remember Arnold Horseshack, from the '70s television show "Welcom Back Kotter"? The actor (Ron Pallilo?) who played him once said in an interview that he was trying to use an exagerated version of the accent an aunt(?) from Hamden had spoken with. Funny thing is, I noticed that he was using a Hamden/New Haven accent the first time I heard him use it! Aunts born and raised in New Haven spoke the same way, with the same inflections, etc.

I also hear a more New England/ RI accent on natives from New London...qwhaater for quarter, wotch for watch...guttah for gutter
My grandmother is native new londoner and you can hear a lot of er drop into ah or O drop as AW... It's even stronger since my grandmother has a smoker-voice. LOL But I think thats where my inbreed boston queens new york accent might of went in for me lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,684,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
My grandmother is native new londoner and you can hear a lot of er drop into ah or O drop as AW... It's even stronger since my grandmother has a smoker-voice. LOL But I think thats where my inbreed boston queens new york accent might of went in for me lol
I gotta say, and I never thought I'd ever say this, but I kind of miss that New England accent! I am from New London county. We had a neighbor from Maine, I'll never forget her! She was very bold, and loud when she needed to be, and spoke with a heavy New England accent. I can still hear her...Flahridah...ayuhh...heayuh.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
I was born and raised in Norwalk. I talk the same way my mother does who was raised in South Norwalk. Everyone I meet asks me if I'm from New York even if they're from Fairfield County. Even when I don't use words like talk or dog or call. I think I may be one of the last speakers of the old southwest CT regional accent. I say Mirrah when referring to a mirror. I say dolliz when referring to more than one dollar, I say Yuz for you plural, which is actually still common in the Naugatuck Valley where I live now.

Last edited by nutmegcat0341; 11-17-2013 at 02:58 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM

21,495 posts, read 27,743,517 times
Myself and most of my friends from northern FFC have VERY little perceivable accent. A few of them have a bit of a New York accent because of their parents.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,352,739 times
It's very subtle, but people from CT turn every G at the end of a word into a K.

Besides that, there's not much. Some people have slight accents that others mentioned here, but those are actually attributed with New York or Boston influences. They aren't part of the native CT accent. There are only a handful of other states without much of an accent, but they're in the central part of the country.

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#SmallMapCanada

Dialect Map Of U.S. Shows How Americans Speak By Region (IMAGE)

Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,835,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
It's very subtle, but people from CT turn every G at the end of a word into a K.
I hear that occasionally, but certainly not every Ct. native does that.

In Ct. people's "accents" are influenced by their parents and grandparents from other states, the states on our borders, localized accents, new immigrants to our state, even by class. It is probably impossible to come up with a unique pronunciation that every Ct. native uses.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM

440 posts, read 451,107 times
To claim that CT doesn't have an accent in nonsensical. Of course it does. In fact, it has several.

You most certainly wouldn't pick up on your own accent, but people from other parts of the country would.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,761,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I hear that occasionally, but certainly not every Ct. native does that.

Lifelong resident that has never heard this. Goink? Runnink? Pushink?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,835,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Lifelong resident that has never heard this. Goink? Runnink? Pushink?

I didn't say I'd never heard it, just not very often. And usually the people I hear pronouncing words that way are not very highly educated.

Hahahaha, perhaps this is how you speak, SCR? Sorry, didn't mean to offend.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,761,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I didn't say I'd never heard it, just not very often. And usually the people I hear pronouncing words that way are not very highly educated.

No, not you. Me. I've NEVER heard anyone substitute a k for a g at the end of a word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut