Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times

Advertisements

Years ago my older brother said he attended a lecture on speech patterns and accents and such (for college, I think). Anyway, the lecturer had asked if anyone in the audience was a native of CT. He raised his hand and was called up on stage. They guy gave my brother a sentence to say (no idea what) and used him to demonstrate what a 'non-accent speaker' (or some such term) sounded like.

Yes, us natives have that neutral speech pattern.

20+ years of me living in KY and I still mostly sound neutral (I've picked up a few drawl words) and over 30+ years in MA that brother now sounds more Bostonian.

Oh - we grew up in Weston, FYI

Last edited by kab0906; 11-21-2013 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Added location for info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 934 times
I am a 53 year old Connecticut native (Southern Connecticut). I moved upstate New York 15 years ago. Most people here do not seem to notice too much of an accent, but every once in awhile I will get someone asking were I am from. Some think NYC and others think Massachusetts. However, this doesn't happen often. When I was young growing up in Connecticut, I do remember some real old timers with a noticeable New England accent. I think through the decades job transfers became more prevalent and many families relocate all over the country, causing accents to change with each new generation. The same is happening, were I now live. The older natives tend to have an upstate accent, but their kids do not. The kids are exposed to many transplants. From teachers to friends, and the accent takes on changes and becomes less noticeable.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,182 times
I grew up in Branford as did my parents and my mother's parents. Mom had a slight New England twang, my grandmother, also slight even though she had a habit of saying Ayuh. IMO, it's the Eastern part of the state where you really hear an accent. New London county, north of 95, Windham county, and parts of Tolland county you can definitely hear that "New England twang". It's not universal though.....kind of odd the way it's sort of interspersed throughout those regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut