Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM

17 posts, read 35,891 times

Advertisements

Quick question - all of you had mentioned the same school districts - West Hartford, Farmington, Southington, Avon etc considering the work place is going to be in Plainville.

I see that a lot of houses are much more affordable in Burlington - I get much more for the same amount. From schooldigger rating - schools seem to be pretty ok - not great. Are they largely different from highly performing schools ?

Anyone has any insight on schools/area/commute to Plainville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Personally, I love Burlington. It's an up and coming suburb of Hartford, is rural in feel (but has become suburban-ized lately) and overall a great town. Schools are good. I highly recommend it if you don't mind driving 10-15 minutes for groceries and the like.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Burlington has the same issue as Avon and Simsbury when it comes to commuting. There are no highways near there. However, if you were to stay in the southeastern corner, it's pretty close to Plainville. Don't make the mistake of giving the working parent a long commute - they will have less time for family over the years, not to mention the expense and wasted time. Also, live where your social life will be. Live where your kids will have lots of friends on the street, not where they have to be driven to playdates. We made the mistake with our first house of buying in a rural area near recreation. Long drive to get even to the grocery store, long drive to nursery schools, long drive to community center and house of worship. We ended up moving right to the middle of the community where we felt comfortable, and drove to outdoor recreation. Much better choice for us.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyengineer View Post
Quick question - all of you had mentioned the same school districts - West Hartford, Farmington, Southington, Avon etc considering the work place is going to be in Plainville.

I see that a lot of houses are much more affordable in Burlington - I get much more for the same amount. From schooldigger rating - schools seem to be pretty ok - not great. Are they largely different from highly performing schools ?

Anyone has any insight on schools/area/commute to Plainville?
Burlington is a great town, but there is no real easy access to Plainville. You'll have to go through Farmington or Bristol which both get congested. It's not horrible, but you'll most likely be coming down RT69 to RT6...and RT6 is IMO just awful. They built up all kinds of retail centers without really expanding the road and infrastructure. RT4 to 177 isn't too bad, but the intersection of 4 and 177 can get a bit much. Burlington is doable though, especially if you were considering Simsbury. It's loads closer.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I don't think the commute from Burlington to Plainville would be difficult. It is all back roads but they are not that bad. The OP could avoid the inersection of Route 4 and 177 in Unionville by using George Washington highway to Burlington Road to Route 177. This should take about 20 minutes or so. Not bad. You do not even have to drive on Route 6, just cross it by tunxis Community College. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut