Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:35 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Of course, having that kind of attitude is ridiculous in itself. That's blood lust, not a desire for justice.

In this particular case, this family and these "little" girls

Were tied to this bed, raped and burned alive.

There is no questions who did it.
A chill just went down my spine...

Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A chill just went down my spine...
That happens to me every single time I think of the Petit family. A chill down the spine... and then the nausea hits. Every single time.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I was referring to stating the things you stand for, which you brought up in the post I replied to.

What, as a liberal, do you stand for?
Read the link. It answers your question nicely.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Another falsehood.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...m-liberal.html

Thank you. Try again.
Quote:
And I bet you are mistaken about my beliefs. I bet your idea of what a liberal believed is based on some nonsense you heard on Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck.

I believe:

* In equality of opportunity (not equality of outcome)
* In social support for those who need it (and throwing those who commit fraud in jail)
* In Science
* Fair Taxation (including a low corporate tax rate, but with few loopholes)
* Local Control of Education (and that a combination of failure of the family structure, technologicalization and union protectionism is ruining education)
* Absolute separation of church and state

Seems pretty mainstream to me...
Mlassoff - I agree pretty much with all you do but I have to say many liberals do not. They believe in equality for all but also want equality of outcome. They believe in social support but do not want to follow up on those that abuse it. They do not necessarily believe in local control of education or that the problem really is the failure of the family structure and that it can't be fixed in our schools. If they did I would agree more with them.

What I find particularly frustrating is the lack of holding people accountable for their actions. If someone clearly breaks the law, do not water their punishment down because they come from a poor family and have extenuating circumstances that get them off.

What really infuriates me is that the ink is not evendry on the Petit case and the idiots at the Capitol abolished th epenalty. Talk about an insult to the memory of those victims and their families. Jay

Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Mlassoff - I agree pretty much with all you do but I have to say many liberals do not. They believe in equality for all but also want equality of outcome. They believe in social support but do not want to follow up on those that abuse it. They do not necessarily believe in local control of education or that the problem really is the failure of the family structure and that it can't be fixed in our schools. If they did I would agree more with them.

What I find particularly frustrating is the lack of holding people accountable for their actions. If someone clearly breaks the law, do not water their punishment down because they come from a poor family and have extenuating circumstances that get them off.

What really infuriates me is that the ink is not evendry on the Petit case and the idiots at the Capitol abolished th epenalty. Talk about an insult to the memory of those victims and their families. Jay
Well said Jay...not only is it an insult, it's unlikely that the sentence handed down will ever be executed and IMO give appeal atty's a LOT of ammunition. THAT is a slap in the face to Dr Petit.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well said Jay...not only is it an insult, it's unlikely that the sentence handed down will ever be executed and IMO give appeal atty's a LOT of ammunition. THAT is a slap in the face to Dr Petit.
JViello:
I DO have to agree the timing is unfortunate. It made pro-death penalty folks feel the repeal was vindictive. And for me, I feel like if the two events had not co-incided, people would have been less emotionally driven...

Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Mlassoff - I agree pretty much with all you do but I have to say many liberals do not.
There is a whole spectrum of belief within what is modern liberalism... Which is why people who learned everything they know about liberals from Rush Limbaugh-- and parrot those thoughts-- are wrong most of the time.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
There is a whole spectrum of belief within what is modern liberalism... Which is why people who learned everything they know about liberals from Rush Limbaugh-- and parrot those thoughts-- are wrong most of the time.
I have never listened to Rush Limbaugh. I have learned what I know about liberals by watching what they do, and listening to what they say. That's damning enough without Rush Limbaugh saying a word.

And the death penalty abolition is a perfect example. JayCT is completely correct. It is a sickening lack of respect to victims like the Petit family to take that penalty off the table.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:

Perfectly said. I couldn't agree more.

I hate the legislature of this state. With a passion.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Recently a man and woman were convicted of murder...It was the kidnap and savage killing of a little girl. The crime was horrific- after the rape and torture of the child- they put a bag on her head and bashed her brains in with a claw hammer..some say they should be executed- out of sheer emotional rage.

There is no death penalty in Canada. Younger criminals make parole after 25 years or less..so some are set free and they are in their late forties and mid fifties- still lots of time to have a life and enjoy it. This system irks me- If you get a LIFE sentence for horrific activity...it should mean- that you are confined so you can not repeat the offense until you breath your last breath in a cell.

Killing the offender further rots the society..'THOU SHALL NOT KILL'..............is an ancient rule that works. The state does not have the right to take life no matter how much the criminal is hated...Private citizens do not have the right to take life. It is a black and white conclusion on my part and many others- You are either pro-life in all forms or you are pro-death..a society that excepts death and embraces raging revenge is NOT what great nations are built on.

My brother once mentioned to me..'If someone killed one of your children- don't tell me you would not kill them on the spot if you had that power'...............frankly no....the loss of the child would be tragic enough- the sorrow would be enough...to kill the killer would only double the evil and would never bring about this stupid thing we call "closure"- There is never any closure to such events.

For instance...if there was direct execution by a family member of a killer- say- they tied the bad guy to a chair and the victims relative were handed a hand gun and were permitted to shot the murderer in the head...What type of person would this act create? Imagine if all the executions done in America were not done by the state- but done privately under controlled circumstances...We would have thousands of deeply disturbed people walking about- Killing kills the soul of the killer- justified or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut