Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,133 times

Advertisements

Hey,
We are moving to the New Haven area in the next few months. We'll make a visit up there sometime to check out some different towns and figure out where we want to live, but we want to narrow it down to start looking for interesting homes we could see when we are there.

Our criteria are as follows:
1. Safe neighborhood
2. Not too far of a drive to Yale (30-40 minutes are fine)
3. Good schools

We want to buy for around 300' to 400'. What neighborhoods can you recommened either in New Haven or surrounding towns?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM

82 posts, read 99,250 times
check out North Haven, Branford, North Branford, Milford
all have safe neighborhoods and decent schools and shopping nearby.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM

26 posts, read 30,008 times
We live in Woodbridge and suggest you look here as well.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM

158 posts, read 198,512 times
I have lived and spent time in several New Haven neighborhoods.
You will enjoy and feel safe in East Rock, the Whitney Av/Orange St/ State St area,
Wooster Square. The same goes for neighborhoods that are further out from downtown, Westville, East Shore, and Fair Haven Heights. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
There are great neighborhoods in New Haven but the schools are a challenge.

It depends on what you like in a town. Do you like a quieter, more rural setting? Coastal? Denser/more activity? Etc.?

I like Milford, Branford, Guilford, Madison, North Haven and Wallingford best in that area personally. Woodbridge is very nice, but the definition of rural and no real town center. If you want isolation and a big lot it's perfect. But it might be a little pricey with your budget. Orange is also worth considering for the schools.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It depends on what you like in a town. Do you like a quieter, more rural setting? Coastal? Denser/more activity? Etc.?
This is the key question. With your budget you have a choice of different settings as Stylo listed out. Tell us what kind of are you like (urban, suburban small city, suburban rural, etc.) and we can point you to specific towns.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,695 times
Why don't you also look at Wallingford. When I lived in CT, my then husband worked in New Haven and the drive was a very easy one down I-91.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
We do need more information like what you want in a town (urban, suburban, rural) and what you expect to get for your money. I personally like the towns east of New Haven (Branford, Guilford, Madison) though North HAven, Wallingford, Milford, Orange, Woodbridge and Bethany are all nice too. Jay

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
I think they'll get a lot more for their money in Wallingford or North Haven than anywhere else. In North Haven, the taxes are "somewhat reasonable" compared to other surrounding towns. In Wallingford, electricity is cheap because the town produces its own, and owns the electric company.

$300-400k for a house seems like a lot of money to spend, but you really won't get much house, or property, spending that in Orange, Cheshire, Bethany, or the shoreline.

If you stick with the I-91 corridor northward, you'll find that money will buy a bigger home, on a bigger lot, with fewer taxes, cheaper utilities, and a less stressful commute to and from downtown.

Bonus: closer to Bradley Airport for people who enjoy travel. Easier drive to the Durham Fair and the Big E for people who enjoy the "county fair" feeling in the summer.

Downside: if you're a family that would prefer jaunts to NYC for shopping/theatre, it's a more stressful drive south on I-95 because you'd have to go through Long Wharf.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM

712 posts, read 541,779 times
North Haven and Wallingford are best bets. I-91 is much easier to drive than I-95. Both have reputation of safety and good schools and within 20 to 30 minutes drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut