Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 98,310 times

Advertisements

Where would you buy a house if one person worked in Ryebrook, NY and the other will work in Southington, ct?

looking to spend no more than 650-700K on house?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 AM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jportjeff View Post
Where would you buy a house if one person worked in Ryebrook, NY and the other will work in Southington, ct?

looking to spend no more than 650-700K on house?

Thanks!!!!
You should check out the greater Danbury area - Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Ridgefield, Redding. You will get more for your money in Danbury and Bethel. Ridgefield and Redding would be on the pricey side, but you can still find a modest home for 650-700k.

Driving times are about 40 minutes to Ryebrook (without traffic) and 40 minutes to Southington, depending of course on what town you choose to live in.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:45 PM

34,916 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Danbury is about half way between Ryebrook and Southington. It would probably take aboutt 45 minutes to each from there depending on where you live, where exactly you are going and on traffic conditions. Danbury itseld is a small city with a wide range of housing options. You could get a very nice home there in your price range. You do not indicate if schools are important, but you should know that Danbury schools perform under the state average on the Connecticut and class sizes are fairly large there. If schools are improtant then I would suggest one of the towns surrounding Danbury to live in. Jeremy's suggestions of Ridgefield, Redding, Brokfield or New fairfield are good. I would also add Newtown which is a beautiful small town as well. good luck and let us know if you have any questions. Jay

Old 04-08-2011, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,773 times
Stay away from Rye brook, too much peer pressure and crazy people.
This town sucks, can wait to get out of here...

Old 04-08-2011, 03:12 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Danbury is about half way between Ryebrook and Southington. It would probably take aboutt 45 minutes to each from there depending on where you live, where exactly you are going and on traffic conditions. Danbury itseld is a small city with a wide range of housing options. You could get a very nice home there in your price range. You do not indicate if schools are important, but you should know that Danbury schools perform under the state average on the Connecticut and class sizes are fairly large there. If schools are improtant then I would suggest one of the towns surrounding Danbury to live in. Jeremy's suggestions of Ridgefield, Redding, Brokfield or New fairfield are good. I would also add Newtown which is a beautiful small town as well. good luck and let us know if you have any questions. Jay
I agree.

I'm from the area and would not recommend Danbury if you're going to have kids in school.

The general area doesn't have a ton to do, so just keep that in mind. It depends on your place in life, but as someone younger I grew extremely bored in the area. Kids often resort to drugs and drinking because of the complete lack of activity and relatively sheltered mentality of that area. That's the only downside. Otherwise, it's safe, quiet, manicured and much more affordable than lower Fairfield County. It's also a little over an hour to NYC, which is nice.

Bethel is not a bad option and is cheaper than some of the other towns. The schools are decent.

From a cost of home perspective, you're looking at the following for order of affordability:

1. Danbury
2. Bethel
3. Brookfield/New Fairfield
4. Redding
5. Ridgefield

It depends on your budget.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w777putnam View Post
Stay away from Rye brook, too much peer pressure and crazy people.
This town sucks, can wait to get out of here...
He/she WORKS there, doesn't live there....what a dumb post!

Anyway, while everyone's posting about the Danbury area (vs. lower Fairfield) for cost reasons (and I agree with that), I also think the traffic will be better for both of you, especially you up there vs lower FFC. Halfway if you go with lower FFC would probably be somewhere in the Norwalk-Bridgeport area. Now Norwalk (and more so Bridgeport) have even bigger "school issues" than Danbury, so you'd be thinking Westport (mega expensive!), Weston, Easton, Fairfield and Trumbull. The latter 2 are only a little more in costs than "Danbury area" towns (in fact, they're probably less than or comparable to Ridgefield), but the traffic, especially going west on I-95 or the Merritt Parkway, is enormous (LOTS of people in that area commute west to Stamford and Westchester County).

BTW, I have a friend who lives in Danbury but commutes to White Plains and his time is 40-45 minutes or so.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
... and the original question was asked in 2007 so ...

I'm guessing they figured it out.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:29 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
... and the original question was asked in 2007 so ...

I'm guessing they figured it out.
Wow, and I'm usually the one calling that out, this time I was actually "feeding the troll"! Guess I was "asleep at the wheel".......

Old 04-08-2011, 03:41 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I didn't even notice. Lots of threads coming back from the dead lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut