Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

Hello, i hope someone can help.
We looked at a rental, and liked it except it is in foreclosure. The owner moved out and had all utilities disconnected.

The owner does not know in what step the foreclosure is. They had a court date, or two...

I believe the utilities were disconnected for nonpayment.

If we want to rent, what are the suggested courses of action we should take to ensure we do not loose our property? I have read different things, including one that says we are fully protected. Do you know of an attorney we can consult?

I would hope that of we rent, we are afforded some sort of protections.

As for the utilities, we asked the owner to find out status, and might consider paying them inlieu of rent.

Any and all advise is appreciated. Need more details... Can and will provide!

Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,620,999 times
My feeling is that if you don't need to move into the place, don't. I can't think of a worse foot to start out on in a rental situation..

Run far far away.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,728,957 times
As the previous poster said; run as far as you can in the other direction. This may sound like a good deal to you, but it's not.

You are protected to a certain extent. At some point in time the property may be foreclosed upon and the bank will take it over. Then the bank has to allow you 90 days to vacate your rental. Or, if you have a lease, they have to let you stay until the end of the lease period, whichever is longer.

In other words, if you're renting, month to month, you've got 90 days to leave. If you're on a year lease, then you have until the end of that lease period.

However, this only applies to tenants who are renting at market rents. If you're paying what could be considered a much less than market rent, then none of this applies to you. Paying no rent and just paying utilities, put's you in that category. If a typical rent is say $ 800 plus utilities and you're only paying utilities, then you are paying below market rent.

The best place for more info is the CT. Dept. of Consumer Affairs. Check their website.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

34,801 posts, read 56,687,351 times
I would not move there either. You are asking for problems. JMHO, Jay

Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,748,914 times
You do realize that the owner, (if he is, in fact, really the owner), is in default on his mortgage, not paying anything for the house, and then is going to collect rent money from you? Do you realize that when the foreclosure is done (and it may be done the day after you move in), that you will have to move out immediately or be evicted? Do you realize that you will never be able to rent another legitimate property with an eviction on your record, and that these records are easily searchable on line by any potential landlord? Get away from this lowlife as fast as possible.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 AM

13 posts, read 16,290 times
You should avoid that situation and that house

Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM

83,399 posts, read 74,915,183 times
Why anyone would want to move into a house and pay someone who doesnt own it is beyond me.

Bad situation, just get ready to pack up and go when authorities come by.(yes thats what they do)

If its pre foreclosure thats different. Maybe landlord needs rent money to catch up to mortgage payments.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 AM

104 posts, read 188,940 times
I gotta agree with everyone. Stay away from it. There's a reason it's in foreclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut