Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
This may be the case on other parts of the east coast but there are lots of parts of the country that manage just fine without exorbitant beach fees. Generally a lot more people there manage to enjoy the beach resources. I find these fees to be a real negative for the region; it gives off an extremely unfriendly feel.
Let me say that when Seaside Park, NJ started charging $15.00 to park in the usual places that use to be $5 and under....We left.
Because add that fee to the cost of "Paying" for each of us to get on the beach!
So we headed further south in NJ and went to Wildwood. We loved that we could park for free .( I think meters are there now) We also loved that the beaches there were "free."

It was a wonderful sense of freedom. It added to our joy of visiting. Your right it was an unfriendly feeling to have to pay all those costs to have what nature left us freely to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
Thumbs up Lighthouse in New Haven also $20. a day for in-state visitors

Up till 2 years ago, Lighthouse was affordable for people who did not live in New Haven, free for residents of New Haven. Some people who did not live in New Haven used to park outside the park and walk in (all right, since the $20 was a parking fee). Two years ago, the daily charge went up to $20, $30 for out of state drivers. You cannot park on streets near the park without a resident parking permit for that neighborhood, even if you live in a house right outside the park. They charge for that permit, too. I went there one day late in the Fall and a park worker in a golf cart was gabbing with another park worker. Since it was late October, I was sure there was no parking charge (usually charge from Memorial Day weekend till Labor Day). I was getting out of my car, just to take a walk, and the man in the golf cart came over screaming at me that he was calling the police since I did not pay the $20 entry charge. I told him no problem I would just leave (who would pay $20 in late October with no park services available - i.e., lifeguards, restrooms, concession stand). I went home and called the Mayor's office to report this rude, abusive worker and have not been back to Lighthouse since.

I do have a tip for people near East Haven. We have a nice, though small beach, and while a parking sticker is required to park in the parking lot there, there is street parking available along Coe Ave. and Cosey Beach Ave. and you can just walk onto the beach. There is a splash pad for small kids and restrooms as well as a restaurant across the street. Summer is short so let's all enjoy it as much as we can!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I do have a tip for people near East Haven. We have a nice, though small beach, and while a parking sticker is required to park in the parking lot there, there is street parking available along Coe Ave. and Cosey Beach Ave. and you can just walk onto the beach. There is a splash pad for small kids and restrooms as well as a restaurant across the street. Summer is short so let's all enjoy it as much as we can!

I thought Malloy wanted to promote tourism. $20 or whatever one gets in parking fees per day is chump change that should be forgone, in order to drive hundreds per day in hotel rooms, meals, convenience store sales, rental cars, etc. Why annoy tourists?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
What's real crazy is that I was leaving my boat last night, at 530pm and they were still charging people 20 bucks even though the park closed at sunset!

Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I went home and called the Mayor's office to report this rude, abusive worker and have not been back to Lighthouse since.
That's policy. If you illegally park, they call the police. Simple. Just because you broke the rules gives you no right to call and report him or her. My guess is the parks and rec director laughed at your message anyway.

This isn't the Sound, but I remember the day when Oxford and Monroe raised their out of towner beach rates in the early '00s. They were trying to deter families from Ansonia, Derby, Bridgeport and Waterbury, because in the past, garbage has been left, cops have been called, and fights broke out. Since they raised the out of town rates for both parks and launches, these issues have gone down (at least it did when I was on the "in" 10 years ago).

You can blame the scumbags for it. Bottom line.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's policy. If you illegally park, they call the police. Simple. Just because you broke the rules gives you no right to call and report him or her. My guess is the parks and rec director laughed at your message anyway.

This isn't the Sound, but I remember the day when Oxford and Monroe raised their out of towner beach rates in the early '00s. They were trying to deter families from Ansonia, Derby, Bridgeport and Waterbury, because in the past, garbage has been left, cops have been called, and fights broke out. Since they raised the out of town rates for both parks and launches, these issues have gone down (at least it did when I was on the "in" 10 years ago).

You can blame the scumbags for it. Bottom line.
I totally get that. What I don't get is paying 800 bucks for a boat slip at a city park and not getting a visitor pass.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I totally get that. What I don't get is paying 800 bucks for a boat slip at a city park and not getting a visitor pass.
I get that. I wouldn't be happy.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:12 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
North Carolina-----purposelly (sp?) established an open shoreline policy so ALL could have access to and enjoy the water. Free and plentiful parking, beautiful beaches. Drove from here to there with the 4 kids every summer. I grew up swimming in the Sound, but it is yuck now. PA, gorgeous State parks----and NO entrance fee---also camping with hook-ups, and reasonably priced.----boy that really surprised us the first time. I think it's reprehensible that the "richest state" can't provide recreation areas for free to its residents, or decent, clean, camping areas. South Carolina---buy a yearly pass for $50, unlimited access to parks and the ocean. WITH clean dressing and picnic areas available.That really irks me about this state. OK I'm done

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Here we go with apples and oranges. Those gorgeous beaches in NC, for example, are mostly not locally owned and maintained. The great majority of them are a combo of state and national effort.

CT beaches for the most part are owned by individual towns. NC is on a county system, wherein there is a town and tons of unincorporated land out side of the immediate town. State and federal purchases of that unincorporated land enabled the development of large public beaches and national sea shores.

In CT virtually every iota of land is owned by a town. There is nothing left for the state or federal government to purchase outside of the minimal number of ocean front parks it already owns.

A season pass, which will get you into any CT state beach or park is only $ 67 per year- and a season pass is free to people over the age of 65.

Those beaches in NC are not " free" . You may not feel like you are paying but they are maintained by state and federal dollars.

And there lies the difference. When the state & feds pay, the cost of the beach is spread out over many millions of people. When a town is paying for upkeep and liability, the costs are the burden of the tax payers of the
town.

That's why the state can charge $ 67 for a season pass and local towns want $20-40 a day.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
North Carolina-----purposelly (sp?) established an open shoreline policy so ALL could have access to and enjoy the water. Free and plentiful parking, beautiful beaches. Drove from here to there with the 4 kids every summer. I grew up swimming in the Sound, but it is yuck now. PA, gorgeous State parks----and NO entrance fee---also camping with hook-ups, and reasonably priced.----boy that really surprised us the first time. I think it's reprehensible that the "richest state" can't provide recreation areas for free to its residents, or decent, clean, camping areas. South Carolina---buy a yearly pass for $50, unlimited access to parks and the ocean. WITH clean dressing and picnic areas available.That really irks me about this state. OK I'm done
Long Island Sound is cleaner now than it was 20 years ago. Unless you are like 100 years old, I doubt it really was cleaner. You just did not know any better. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut