U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,045,239 times

Advertisements

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...7448.html#%2F4

this pic is absolutely breathtaking. are those 2 structures on the right in the pic part of Co-op City or are they water tanks/towers farther up the sound? i am guessing they are Co-op City since there is also a view of a bunch of what appears to be multiple tops of apartment houses right in back of them.

if this is indeed Co-op City, which is give or take 25 highway miles from this point (Noroton/Rowayton), how is it that those 2 towers appear so close up? are they actually closer than 25 highway miles since we are just looking straight down the sound?

and how is it that Manhattan skyline, which is actually 10-15 miles southwest of Co-op City, actually appears southeast of Co-op City(if those towers are it)?

this is absolutely amazing!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,049,030 times
Hi Roger,

I'm familiar with Co-op City, but I don't think that's it. Most high-rises in that complex seem taller than those, and there are more of them. Maybe they're housing projects, there's a ton of them in northern Manhattan and SouthBronx.

I agree the photo is amazing, nice skyline pic!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM

maybe it's New Rochelle or Stamford? Mike I haven't heard from you in 2 years!!

just that Co-op City almost sits on the sound so i thought it might be...

Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM

10,382 posts, read 16,631,962 times
Can't tell but actually looks too short to be Co-op City, I'm thinking it's waterfront buildings further down the Bronx like in the Throgs Neck area.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,049,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Can't tell but actually looks too short to be Co-op City, I'm thinking it's waterfront buildings further down the Bronx like in the Throgs Neck area.
I was thinking maybe it's the Parkchester apartments. You know that area atall? It's not far from the Throgs Neck nabe, which I don't think this is since that area is mostly low-rise buildings.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

10,382 posts, read 16,631,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I was thinking maybe it's the Parkchester apartments. You know that area atall? It's not far from the Throgs Neck nabe, which I don't think this is since that area is mostly low-rise buildings.
I think you're right, I was suspicious about it being Throgs Neck since that area is mostly houses (when I was a kid we'd go over it every other Sunday from southern Westchester to see grandparents in Queens), but couldn't think what else would be in that line of sight.......

I'm betting on it being Parkchester, it's just about the right height, nice catch Mike!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM

76,766 posts, read 61,917,098 times
This is in the wrong forum. This is a "Connecticut" forum. Maybe re-post this for NYC because location is mentioned at the bottom of the picture.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM

18,999 posts, read 23,021,203 times
The view is from the house in question in Darien.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM

i am just awed by this view and how Manhattan skyline appears like it's directly south when it really isn't. but i don't think i'm gonna rest until i figure out what those 2 towers are. to the right of those 2 towers you see little tips of roofs that Co-op City has

As for Parkchester, it's more inland so i don't know if that can be seen from the sound. As for Throgs Neck there is a housing project near the water but these towers look too close to even be the Bronx. Unless it's apartments off the coast around New Rochelle but again, they also look like Co-op City if you zoom in multiple times. this Darien location is about 25 highway miles from The Bronx border.

any other shoreline places you know of that offer this kind of view, either for pay or for free? I don't want to end up arrested for trespassing on somebody's estate just so i can view this stuff!! recommend a place and I'll go up there. there is something so exotic about the LI sound I find it more intriguing than the Hudson

Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM

76,766 posts, read 61,917,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i am just awed by this view and how Manhattan skyline appears like it's directly south when it really isn't. but i don't think i'm gonna rest until i figure out what those 2 towers are. to the right of those 2 towers you see little tips of roofs that Co-op City has
Again, wouldn't that question be better asked in the "NYC" forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut