Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 PM

59 posts, read 350,353 times

Advertisements

What are the housing areas like in the New Haven area? Are there neighborhoods governed by associations or is each house on it's own? I ask because I am considering that area and currently live in vegas where you really cannot buy a house without being governed by an association. It would be so nice to find a home that I can do what I want to. My current association makes you submit an architectural request with approval from all neighbors if you wish to do anything (even as simple as changing a light fixture) to the front area of your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Most single family homes are 'on their own'; you buy it, you take care of the inside and outside upkeep. Exceptions are a very few communities with detached single family homes that are 'maintenance free'- A growing group of detached homes throughout CT are age restricted -55 and up.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Yes, most places here do not have an homewoners association.

Skytrekker, I've been wondering about those 55plus housing developments-how is that legal? There are two right near me with brand new single family houses that are 55plus. Does that mean I could not buy a home there, with my family? We are of course all under 55. One in particular is a nice development and I'd like new construction, and was eyeing in in the event I don't get to wander to nc...how can they discriminate based on age, in SFH's?

Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeVegas View Post
What are the housing areas like in the New Haven area? Are there neighborhoods governed by associations or is each house on it's own? I ask because I am considering that area and currently live in vegas where you really cannot buy a house without being governed by an association. It would be so nice to find a home that I can do what I want to. My current association makes you submit an architectural request with approval from all neighbors if you wish to do anything (even as simple as changing a light fixture) to the front area of your house.
I am in Florida, moved from MA have the same problem, I have been here 9 years, and the hoa was a sleeping dog, the bigest problem, pick up dog stuff.

now, they have gone dog to go. pressure wash your house etc. keep it in the
new state. like it is 9 years old, and my hair, and face, after 9 years! I do not like shots!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Yes, most places here do not have an homewoners association.

Skytrekker, I've been wondering about those 55plus housing developments-how is that legal? There are two right near me with brand new single family houses that are 55plus. Does that mean I could not buy a home there, with my family? We are of course all under 55. One in particular is a nice development and I'd like new construction, and was eyeing in in the event I don't get to wander to nc...how can they discriminate based on age, in SFH's?
You ask 'how is that legal' regarding age restricted communities- since I am not an attorney I can not give you a fair and specific answer.

The builder gets through the zoning committee of a town the right to build under the premise that only those 55 years of age, or whatever can buy into the community. Once approved by the zoning board, the builder then 'restricts' perspective buyers on their age.
There is indeed a legal contract, made by the zoning board and the builder. In the state of Connecticut, obviously this is allowed.

We have many age restricted communities here in Tolland county. No you could not purchase a home if you are under 55. Its not a matter of discrimination. The Legal covenants say you must be a certain age. Like any other community with A HOA, they can reserve the right to restrict the rules for purchase into the community; as well as behavior once you buy; such as Pets, parking, noise, changing exterior of buildings, children, etc.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-20-2007 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
I guess I don't get it because, they can't say, white only or woman only or Jewish only. Why can they do it based on age? It's too bad because the one here seems like it would be a great place for a family-very nice new construction.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 32,265 times
I have covered meetings in several towns regarding 55+ development. I can't remember how they get away with the age restriction, but I can tell you that the towns welcome these developments. That's why they've been cropping up all over. The reason: $$$. I forget how many thousands of dollars per year for 13 years it costs a town to educate a child. Multiply that by the average # of children per family, and you'll find that the highest expense a town faces is for education. These 55+ communities don't add to the financial burden for education while at the same time paying real estate taxes. If they let a developer put in "regular" housing, it would cost them to educate the children. In theory, it should also help to keep that town's mil rate down.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
Quote:
I guess I don't get it because, they can't say, white only or woman only or Jewish only. Why can they do it based on age? It's too bad because the one here seems like it would be a great place for a family-very nice new construction.
Because age applies to everyone - being Jewish, or a woman, or white doesn't.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Here in Vernon they have new semi attached and detached single family homes that are not age restricted-staring in the upper 230s. They also have new townhouses that are not age restricted starting in the upper 220s.
Hope this helps

Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByebyeVegas View Post
As skytrekker indicated there are not a lot of HOA communities here in Connecticut. There is no need to. Our towns are good at maintaining services needed and people do generally take good care of their properties. I know that these are BIG issues in other parts of the country and that is why HOA's are considered "normal" down south and out west. Here they are just not needed unless the home is a condominium. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut