Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM

45 posts, read 55,757 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

This is just an observation by the way, and it is not meant to be negative, it is just funny. We seem to be running across this same line of thought about 2 times a week. My wife got another job offer, this time in Branford, she told the hiring manager that if she worked in Branford she might live in New Haven, he was flabbergasted claiming "You might want to come check it out first, its a long commute". He related it to going from Seattle to Kirkland (if you've been in the area, that commute is insane if you're driving because you have to cross traffic laden floating bridge over a lake (which is tolled) OR drive 20 miles north of Seattle and curl AROUND the lake for another 10). But, looking on the map the drive from New Haven proper to Branford would take approximately ten minutes? with several different options to get there? Through town, down the 95, etc.

We keep running into this bewilderment at the thought of driving or commuting 20-40 minutes to work each way. For us, part of the allure of the area is Connecticut's central location. Couple hours to boston, couple hours to NYC, Day trip to Philly or weekend down to Washington DC. Is the culture of travel not the same here? I just know that in WA, most of our group of friends are constantly going camping in Northern California, skiing in Vancouver BC, etc. Kind of a roadtripping kind of deal since everything is so far from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
So your wife now has an offer in Branford. Are you still thinking of the job in New Milford job for yourself ? Living in New Haven would give you a heck of a commute into New Milford.

If you took those two jobs, you could look to live somewhere in the Derby, Ansonia,Seymour areas. You might find a rental more in the price you originally indicated. Commuting would not be great, especially for you, but it would be in the realm of the possible.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninWA View Post
Hey Everyone,

This is just an observation by the way, and it is not meant to be negative, it is just funny. We seem to be running across this same line of thought about 2 times a week. My wife got another job offer, this time in Branford, she told the hiring manager that if she worked in Branford she might live in New Haven, he was flabbergasted claiming "You might want to come check it out first, its a long commute". He related it to going from Seattle to Kirkland (if you've been in the area, that commute is insane if you're driving because you have to cross traffic laden floating bridge over a lake (which is tolled) OR drive 20 miles north of Seattle and curl AROUND the lake for another 10). But, looking on the map the drive from New Haven proper to Branford would take approximately ten minutes? with several different options to get there? Through town, down the 95, etc.

We keep running into this bewilderment at the thought of driving or commuting 20-40 minutes to work each way. For us, part of the allure of the area is Connecticut's central location. Couple hours to boston, couple hours to NYC, Day trip to Philly or weekend down to Washington DC. Is the culture of travel not the same here? I just know that in WA, most of our group of friends are constantly going camping in Northern California, skiing in Vancouver BC, etc. Kind of a roadtripping kind of deal since everything is so far from us.
You have to understand something, here in the northeast there is a different mentality when it comes to distance. People who live in say Bridgeport think Hartford is the other side of the world even though it is only an hour ride. My family in Fairfield rarely visit us in the Hartford area because it is "so far away". While my relatives from Washington State thought we were close when they visited.

Still I am not sure why the Hiring Manager thought New Haven was far from Branford. Branford is a suburb of New Haven and as you noted the distance and commute time would be reasonable. Plus your wife would be going against traffic so it should be an easy commute. Jay

Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have to understand something, here in the northeast there is a different mentality when it comes to distance. People who live in say Bridgeport think Hartford is the other side of the world even though it is only an hour ride. My family in Fairfield rarely visit us in the Hartford area because it is "so far away". While my relatives from Washington State thought we were close when they visited.

Still I am not sure why the Hiring Manager thought New Haven was far from Branford. Branford is a suburb of New Haven and as you noted the distance and commute time would be reasonable. Plus your wife would be going against traffic so it should be an easy commute. Jay
This. ^

Old 06-16-2012, 08:04 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
New Haven to Branford takes minutes. EASY commute.

However, if you were working in New Milford, New Haven might not be the best place to live as that's about an hour+ commute (I know someone that does the opposite commute to New Haven from New Milford and it drains on him). Unless you really want the city amenities.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM

45 posts, read 55,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

That is going to be so different, we expect to travel whenever we leave the house.

Anyways, the move is FINALLY taking shape! I am so excited and everyone's help has been so splendid. The economy in Connecticut seems to be thriving, either that or we just have good resumes.

We found a place on Lincoln street in New Britain. It is a wonderful house for a fantastic price. Instead of taking the position in Branford, my wife is taking a similar one for a little bit less pay in Hartford to be safe from the commute. I turned down the offer in New Milford because they informed me that there we 0 benefits, which I am not comfortable with. However, after turning my resume' into several staffing agencies in the Hartford area over the weekend, I already have 3 interviews scheduled my first week there.

We are driving from Seattle on June 29th and arriving on July 7th. Its going to be a long long long drive, but we are extremely excited. Any suggestions on what we have to see/should ignore?

Thanks! and talk to you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut