Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,030 times

Advertisements

Is Southbury CT considered to be an upscale community? I know it is part of the less desirable New Haven County, but it also borders Fairfield County and Litchfield County. How are the schools, and overall vibe of the town? Would you be able to find a nice 4 bedroom home between 600,000 and 700,000? Thanks for all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,385,516 times
It's a nice small town. You can definately find quality upscale homes in your price range.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:16 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Uh - New Haven County is far from "less desirable".

No offense, but you sound like a snob.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,882,536 times
Southbury is a very nice town.

I've thought about moving up there when I retire, but I'm undecided. It's so expensive around here, and I could save a lot of money by going up there.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:08 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,614,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysl75 View Post
Is Southbury CT considered to be an upscale community? I know it is part of the less desirable New Haven County, but it also borders Fairfield County and Litchfield County. How are the schools, and overall vibe of the town? Would you be able to find a nice 4 bedroom home between 600,000 and 700,000? Thanks for all input!
Considered by whom? To people in Greenwich and Westport, no. To people in Waterbury, yes.

People use the term upscale a lot but I don't know what they mean exactly. I think of it as a term applied to a shopping area.

Anyway, it is an upper middle class town along the lines of Newtown, Brookfield, Oxford, Middlebury, and Monroe. The schools are usually in the top 10-15% of the state in various metrics. There are very few food options for foodies and most people head to New Haven for nightlife since there is literally none. There is some upscale shopping and some typical strip mall shopping. It is a good entry point for visiting Litchfield county for even more upscale dining and shopping, not to mention fabulous outdoor activities.

There are pockets of very wealthy people, pockets of lower middle class, riverfront and lakefront property, well preserved historic districts, well kept up and manicured public spaces, a very large number of parks and land trust spaces, several golf courses, and a significant amount of senior housing communities both assisted and unassisted living. It is a very diverse community as far as housing types, geography and such. Not at all diverse as far as the people go (95%+ white).

During the housing boom the prices were on par with the range you mention but now are much cheaper. Many deals can be had.

You'll have to be more specific if you want to know anything else.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,825,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Uh - New Haven County is far from "less desirable".

No offense, but you sound like a snob.
She was just saying that relative to FFC, NHC is less desirable. IMO, NHC is one of the least desirable counties to live in, in CT. It has a "dirty" feel to it, especially being between the generally more desirable FFC and HFC. You know?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM

739 posts, read 1,841,101 times
Yes, Southbury is a lovely town with decent shopping and reasonably-priced housing - 'reasonably' being relative to the surrounding areas.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 PM

156 posts, read 276,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
She was just saying that relative to FFC, NHC is less desirable. IMO, NHC is one of the least desirable counties to live in, in CT. It has a "dirty" feel to it, especially being between the generally more desirable FFC and HFC. You know?
Haha. What? You need to get out more man.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,882,536 times
Quote:
Dirty? I don't see that.

I don't think the county really means anything in Connecticut. It's really the town that matters. There are nice towns and crummy towns. Southbury is one of the nice ones, IMO.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM

370 posts, read 603,836 times
Quote:
Yet another FAILED post by Nep. You seriously need to get out of your little dark cave...New Haven County is far from being "dirty" and not sure how FFC and HFC are more desirable. It's all about what county fits your parameters from a commuting perspective, family location, etc.

When the door to your cave opens, please drive through over a dozen towns in NHC and explain to us in detail how they are "dirty".

Working in Stamford myself for a major financial firm and currently residing in Brookfield, I can tell you that several colleagues of mine would love to live in NHC in towns such as Madison, Oxford, and Southbury over their respective towns in FFC for numerous reasons.

Anyway, Southbury is a wonderful town. It's one of my favorite towns in all of Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut