Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What about Texas, where opportunities are endless for people in nearly any field? It's not nearly as expensive as Connecticut. The reason it's expensive here is because we're sandwiched between NYC and Boston, and there's a false mindset that the commute to either city is easy.
Maybe if you like tech support or oil services. Lots of minimum wage jobs but that isn't what is generally desired. Professional pay is way off from the coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Maybe if you like tech support or oil services. Lots of minimum wage jobs but that isn't what is generally desired. Professional pay is way off from the coasts.
I don't know enough about the economy of Texas to debate, but I was reading today that these cities are booming. Real estate being snapped up, homes affordable, unemployment rate very low.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
It's going to be hard to live in the New Britain area on the budget as described.

Connecticut is consistently number one, two, or three in cost of living and in cost of government out of these 50 states.

I'd look at Barkhamsted and also at the Naugatuck Valley. But it's going to be difficult. I hope he negotiated the top possible salary at the new job. I've heard of people moving to CT with the expectation of the same cost of living as a much cheaper locale, and not adjusting salary requirements accordingly.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
BINGO!!! Which is one of the reasons why it is more expensive here. Jay
I'm sorry Jay but I have to really disagree as a whole. I can see having upward mobility options affect the price of housing, but how and why should it affect property taxes, government fees costs, gas prices, the cost of food, utilities etc.

It shouldn't. The number one reason the COL is so high here is bloated government and nanny state politicians. Period. It creates a bloated economic reality. Modern day Washington D.C. area is a prime example.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It shouldn't. The number one reason the COL is so high here is bloated government and nanny state politicians. Period. It creates a bloated economic reality. Modern day Washington D.C. area is a prime example.
Nopes, never market forces

Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Nopes, never market forces
When the market forces are influenced and manipulated by the government, the end result is what I posted.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm sorry Jay but I have to really disagree as a whole. I can see having upward mobility options affect the price of housing, but how and why should it affect property taxes, government fees costs, gas prices, the cost of food, utilities etc.

Isn't real estate a bigger impact on COL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut