Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 22,204 times

Advertisements

Hey my name is rick, i posted here a few months ago about moving to west hartford. Well we moved, to the oakwood/park rd area. And in 2 weeks alone there was numerous robberies, me and my fiance heard gunshots idk how many times :O not to mention the number of gangs i've seen walking around. And no they arent the same kids i'm seeing its different groups of kids! But i'm the type that minds my business, dont bother me i wont bother you. I'm not talking down on west hartford or anything, but i think ppl certainly try and make west hartford alot nicer then it actually is from what i've seen so far! Which is sad becuase its a BEAUTIFUL city, but take a wrong turn and you're in projects? Its so weird. I was shocked when we heard gunshots, and for one of my neighbors to tell me a kid got shot in a drive by shooting, yes we did see ambulances but no he didn't die THANK GOD! Im worried about my safety as long as my kid and fiance. The summer is coming up and boy west hartford already has me wondering Please respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
just stay in west hartford center.... the only thing u will get hit by is peoples noses in the air..... but its safe....

oh and the food isnt bad either

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 22,204 times
i love the downtown area, have you ate at harrys pizza? there pizza is so good

Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
pizza is excellent at harrys..... and not insanely priced

Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
I used to live on Kane Street in those apartments off Oakwood Avenue. It's not a bad area. I never heard gunshots or was a victim of crime. My unit overlooked Kennedy Park and I used to see kids shoot off fireworks there at night (you could see them shoot up in the sky) but I never heard shots fired. Who told you there was a drive-by shooting? There was a shooting on Park Road a few years ago, but nothing like that has happened recently. Either the Courant or local papers report on incidents like that.

There are no housing projects in WH. Oakwood Ave isn't a very desireable area but I would not call it unsafe. Alot of the duplexes were in sad shape when I lived there and since then alot of them have gotten rehabbed. Still not that great, but you shouldn't be scared to live there. Like you, I'm the type of person to go about my business and generally that was my take on the people there, too. But if you're still not convinced or not satisfied with life there, consider Elmwood along New Britain Ave or one of the apartment buildings on Farmington - these areas are nice.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
You are in the one neighborhood in West Hartford that IMHO can be considered "bad". You're essentially a stone's throw from the not so nice area of Hartford. I wouldn't live where you are, no offense.

Have you looked at other parts of town? It's generally quiet and well off. Heck just getting North of 84 by Park ave will make a world of difference. That's they way it is in this state, a mile can make a huge difference in QOL. I have a customer up the road on New Park Ave across from the movie theater...no thanks. Sorry.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I used to live on Kane Street in those apartments off Oakwood Avenue. It's not a bad area. I never heard gunshots or was a victim of crime. My unit overlooked Kennedy Park and I used to see kids shoot off fireworks there at night (you could see them shoot up in the sky) but I never heard shots fired. Who told you there was a drive-by shooting? There was a shooting on Park Road a few years ago, but nothing like that has happened recently. Either the Courant or local papers report on incidents like that.

There are no housing projects in WH. Oakwood Ave isn't a very desireable area but I would not call it unsafe. Alot of the duplexes were in sad shape when I lived there and since then alot of them have gotten rehabbed. Still not that great, but you shouldn't be scared to live there. Like you, I'm the type of person to go about my business and generally that was my take on the people there, too. But if you're still not convinced or not satisfied with life there, consider Elmwood along New Britain Ave or one of the apartment buildings on Farmington - these areas are nice.
The area you are talking about by Kennedy Park is fine...go down where Oakwood meets up with New Park Ave and it gets trashy real quick. It wouldn't surprise me if the OP ventured into Hartford proper without knowing it.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM

713 posts, read 759,351 times
There are areas in West Hartford bordering Hartford that I wouldn't want to be in. Granted, it's no North end Hartford, but the problem with these areas is too close to Ghetto Hartford, where shady people can easily be found, where suspicious cars can been seen driving through.

However, some people think these areas are still considered "nice". Hell no man, just my 2 cents.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I know people who live in that area and they have not had problems. I wonder if some of what the OP is seeing is a one time occurance. Jay

Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The area you are talking about by Kennedy Park is fine...go down where Oakwood meets up with New Park Ave and it gets trashy real quick. It wouldn't surprise me if the OP ventured into Hartford proper without knowing it.
If that's the area that the OP is talking about, then yes it's a nasty area. If it's Oakwood off of Park Road, then I would not be worried. I've seen kids dressed in thug-style clothes but they've never bothered me, that's kind of the look nowadays anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut