Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 AM

104 posts, read 189,379 times

Advertisements

I went on Citydata.com to look up the statistics on Wallingford. I couldn't believe my eyes. First of all, there are like 39,458 (91.7%) Whites, 1,946 (4.5%) Hispanics and 417 (1.0%) Blacks. Is it really like that over there?? Where there's a lot more whites and Hispanics? Also, I see that between the years 2002 to 2010 there has been ZERO murders. The crime rates are VERYYYY low. Is this also true?

I'm by no means racist as I'm white (mixed) and my husband is black, PR and white. I wouldn't want to move there if my husband would stand out too much being that he's dark skinned and I'm light. But since he's Hispanic, would he get away with it? I have 2 daughters who are tanned, one being darker than the other, my son is very light skinned and my other son seems to be tanned but he's only 6 weeks old so that could change as I was born very dark but as I got older I got light. I don't want my kids to have problems in school, where the whiter kids are giving my tanned children looks. It seems like a good place to live but I'm just curious about all of this as it makes a difference.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
It is fairly common for the suburbs of Ct. to be predominately white, and have low crime rates. However, Ct. overall is very tolerant of other races so you shouldn't have to worry about your children being singled out.

The cities of Ct. are more diverse, but the schools often have some issues.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the response.

So if we chose Wallingford to live in, my husband and children should not have an issue?

I'm on google maps and I typed in Wallingford, CT and I'm on the "road". I see it looks very woodsy. Is it all woods or?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
I wouldn't want to move there if my husband would stand out too much being that he's dark skinned and I'm light. But since he's Hispanic, would he get away with it?
Get away with what? Trying to look white? I am very confused. I can't think of one place in the entire tri-state area where someone would have a problem in a town or city because they aren't the predominant race in said town/city. Connecticut suburbs tend to be predominantly white and low crime. Just because there is a brown skinned person in a predominantly white suburb doesn't mean they will stand out or be looked at with disdain.

Have you visited anywhere in CT? From your posts over the past couple of days it seems you have a lot of misconceptions about the state as a whole. If you are from New York, you really shouldn't be in for any surprises. With exception to NYC of course, CT isn't a whole lot different than NY in many ways. People will not gasp in shock and awe because they see a person who is not white.

Wallingford is a safe small city, good public schools, nice little walkable downtown area, easy access to big box stores and general retail/shopping. Also, it is mainly developed suburbs, not all woods. There are definitely wooded more rural feeling areas but it is by no means rural.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Get away with what? Trying to look white? I am very confused. I can't think of one place in the entire tri-state area where someone would have a problem in a town or city because they aren't the predominant race in said town/city. Connecticut suburbs tend to be predominantly white and low crime. Just because there is a brown skinned person in a predominantly white suburb doesn't mean they will stand out or be looked at with disdain.

Have you visited anywhere in CT? From your posts over the past couple of days it seems you have a lot of misconceptions about the state as a whole. If you are from New York, you really shouldn't be in for any surprises. With exception to NYC of course, CT isn't a whole lot different than NY in many ways. People will not gasp in shock and awe because they see a person who is not white.

Wallingford is a safe small city, good public schools, nice little walkable downtown area, easy access to big box stores and general retail/shopping. Also, it is mainly developed suburbs, not all woods. There are definitely wooded more rural feeling areas but it is by no means rural.

Thanks. I mean would he get away with living there since he's Hispanic because it seems to be more white and Hispanic than black. I think I'm going to look into Wallingford because of the low crime. Thank you for the info. No I haven't been to Wallingford, just Stamford.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Wallingford is really nice. It's a good place to be in a central location that will allow you to explore the state in case you find a town that better suits you in the future.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Thank you Stylo.

I think the top 2 places on my list right now are Wallington and Stamford. I've found pretty decent-priced apts in Stamford that fit my budget. The only thing that throws me off is the schools. I hear they're bad. I don't know what to think of that.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
It's been a long hard day, so forgive me for being short.

Move to Wallingford, it's a nice town and no one gives a sh*t what color your skin is. Really.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
Thank you Stylo.

I think the top 2 places on my list right now are Wallington and Stamford. I've found pretty decent-priced apts in Stamford that fit my budget. The only thing that throws me off is the schools. I hear they're bad. I don't know what to think of that.
Be careful with those apt's in Stamford. They might not be in the best area of town. Wallingford rental prices should be literally half that of Stamford's, so you'll get a lot more for your money.

Getting a 3BR in Stamford in a good area for any decent rent is highly unlikely. And if you want to spend that kind of money ($2500+), you might as well look in other towns where the schools are more well regarded.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's been a long hard day, so forgive me for being short.

Move to Wallingford, it's a nice town and no one gives a sh*t what color your skin is. Really.
Lol thank you. Yea, in NYC they like to give you issues when it comes to that. That's why I was asking. It's nice to know that they aren't like that in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut