Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 09:22 AM

370 posts, read 608,383 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing conflicting advice on when to apply grub control here in Connecticut. After all, this stuff is available throughout the year on store shelves.

From my understanding it's only effective when it's applied before grubs are hatched or when newly hatched.

Since Connecticut is a tiny state, I assume we all follow the same schedule...so anyone with experience on when to apply this stuff? I was thinking of applying GrubEx during the first week of July, but want to get your thoughts first.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
We have a bad grub problem in our neighborhood due to soil type (sandy). If you do not put it down early (like April or May) you will have a problem with your lawn. So to answer your question, NOW!!! Jay

Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Scotts makes it fool prove with their info and step by step process. I'm a believer of Scotts program and products since I'm the only one with a green lawn during a drought and in March and October. It hasnt even been Aerated in 10+ years.

Here's video on Grubs
Preventing Grub Damage Video - Scotts Miracle-Gro

Type in your zip code and follow the steps:
Annual Lawn Care Program - Lawn Care Plan - Scotts Miracle-Gro

Apply Grub Control anytime from June to August. Once should do the trick. Ideally apply it when you see Beetles.
Ortho Bug B Gon Max Insect Killer for Lawns - Scotts Miracle-Gro

Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
If you're asking about grub x can we assume youve seen grubs? If so Apply as soon as you can. If you haven't seen grubs (dig up a patch and look) but your lawn isnt happy I'd suggest a soil test.

Future applications right around Easter time...not at the same time as fertilizer.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 21,225 times
Default July for best Grub Control

Many people wonder when to apply Grub Ex or Bayer Season Lawn Grub Control. According to certified horticulturists in CT it should be applied the first two weeks of July and deeply watered in, especially Grub Ex because it takes a long time to break down. Scotts recommends and inch of water in a one week period...that's a lot of watering. Despite what the bag says, these products are only effective on very young grubs which will not show up until late August. You can apply around June 15 or later, IF you had a LONG stretch (2 weeks or more) of hot spring weather (above 85 degrees). These products do slowly lose effectiveness during the 4 months following application that's why timing is important. If you applied in early spring and didn't have any or many grubs that's most likely because you didn't have an invasion of beetles to lay the eggs-not because you killed all the grubs.

Best of luck!

Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny711 View Post
Many people wonder when to apply Grub Ex or Bayer Season Lawn Grub Control. According to certified horticulturists in CT it should be applied the first two weeks of July and deeply watered in, especially Grub Ex because it takes a long time to break down. Scotts recommends and inch of water in a one week period...that's a lot of watering. Despite what the bag says, these products are only effective on very young grubs which will not show up until late August. You can apply around June 15 or later, IF you had a LONG stretch (2 weeks or more) of hot spring weather (above 85 degrees). These products do slowly lose effectiveness during the 4 months following application that's why timing is important. If you applied in early spring and didn't have any or many grubs that's most likely because you didn't have an invasion of beetles to lay the eggs-not because you killed all the grubs.

Best of luck!
Sorry but if you wait this long it could be too late. That has been my experience and I learned the hard way. Jay

Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny711 View Post

Best of luck!
Joined today just to post that. Interesting. Like Jay just said, that's not good if you wait that late...

You have to apply in Early-Mid Spring before insects hatch. Sure you can apply in Late spring and even early summer but the longer you wait, the worse it is. Trick is to stop them from hatching all together and killing any of the larva.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

399 posts, read 850,734 times
So a few weeks ago the guys at Ganim recommended the Bayer Season Lawn Grub Control, and that I apply it right about now (think he may have said June 15). We had a bad grub problem the last 2 years, so I should be able to see its effectiveness this year.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:19 PM

59 posts, read 72,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
I'm hearing conflicting advice on when to apply grub control here in Connecticut. After all, this stuff is available throughout the year on store shelves.

From my understanding it's only effective when it's applied before grubs are hatched or when newly hatched.

Since Connecticut is a tiny state, I assume we all follow the same schedule...so anyone with experience on when to apply this stuff? I was thinking of applying GrubEx during the first week of July, but want to get your thoughts first.

Thanks,
To clear up any confusion -

GrubEx or other products containing chlorantraniliprole should be applied late April to early May, or when the grass greens up and the forsythia are in full bloom. This ingredient takes a long time (months) to activate and must be watered in with an inch of water.

Merit or other products containing imidacloprid must be applied in late June to early august as they are effective immediately. They must also be watered in as imidacloprid photodegrades (breaks down in sunlight). This chemical also harms pollinators so it is restricted to landscaping professionals in CT who will apply in late summer when native flowers are no longer blooming.

Both are very effective at controlling grubs.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut