Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM

157 posts, read 484,157 times

Advertisements

Im just doing some daydreaming and gathering intel. Not gonna actually move to New Haven. Within 5 years from now i wanna move out of California so I started looking at places I'd like to move. I did a test on a site designed for this stuff and New Haven showed up on my best 30 cities. Its in the highest 5.

when i did a search on these boards, i dont anything that good. new haven is a warzone? there's high crime areas to avoid? rising taxes, but housing is between 250-350thou? looking at it from google earth and street view it looks like a great place to live

if i do move here, hopefully with friends, i'd start by living in an apt for a long time. would it be realistic to get an 2bed apt $1000 or less with roomates in a good neighborhood?

what are the people like? economy, schools, nightlife, family life, etc

Last edited by sandiegoguy22; 06-16-2012 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
New Haven is a large city (at least by Connecticut standards). Unlike other cities around the country it is small in area and it surrounded by a number of independent towns that serve as its suburbs. New Haven itself is the core of the urban area so when things like crime rates are claculated the numbers are skewed because the city does not have those nicer suburan areas in the calculations to offset the core urban area.

New Haven itself has many beautiful and safe neighborhoods. It also has several not so nice ones. If you live on one of the nicer neighborhoods you should not have a problem. You could also live in one of the beautiful suburbs and commute into the city. The shoreline towns east of New Haven (Branford, Guilford, Madison) are wonderful as is Milford.

New Haven has many great things including wonderful restaurants, bars, nightclubs, theater, museums and parks. On top of what New Haven itself has to offer, it is not far from New York with regular commuter train service into the city everyday. This make it one of nicest and most interesting cities in the country. I think if you come to visit you will like it. Jay

Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
It's a nice small city on the rise. Loads of nice architecture (mostly from Yale - some of it breathtakingly good), a vibrant bar/food scene, some of the best pizza in the world, culture, etc. For a city its size, it offers an incredible amount per capita.

There are some bad areas. Very bad areas. But those are fairly isolated, although crime does spillover like in many cities. The good areas include the area Yale encompasses, downtown, East Rock, Wooster Square, and Westville. Those areas are NOT a warzone. If you mean $1000 split with someone, absolutely - you could get a luxury 2BR for about $2000 a month. If you're looking for a 2BR for $1000 in a nice area, that ain't gonna happen. Even though New Haven is relatively affordable compared to NYC and Boston, it's still expensive compared nationally.

Property taxes are very high if you buy in the city, double what they are in surrounding towns. IMO it's a good place to rent, and then buy in a surrounding town like Branford or Milford. Especially if you ever have kids and want a good school environment for them.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 AM

168 posts, read 275,334 times
Depends on what area. The police station and few blocks in from the train station is a war zone. The Italian-American area around Wooster you can walk around at 3:00AM. Morris Point by Lighthouse Park is fine. Everytime I go to Yale Hospital or visit the downtown if you take the wrong turn coming out (one ways) it can go from beautiful to degenerates in a block.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM

168 posts, read 275,334 times
I forgot to mention BusinessNews February 2012 poll and several other sources ranked it the worst city to work in. That is in the whole USA.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
I forgot to mention BusinessNews February 2012 poll and several other sources ranked it the worst city to work in. That is in the whole USA.
Why? And what are the "several other sources"?

Link?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:38 PM

157 posts, read 484,157 times
thats a daam shame. the overhead view on google earth looks really good. i like how its surrounded by a bunch of cities and towns, instead of connected like in san diego. the coast looks great. has to be crime infested tho . thx for cluing me in

Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy22 View Post
thats a daam shame. the overhead view on google earth looks really good. i like how its surrounded by a bunch of cities and towns, instead of connected like in san diego. the coast looks great. has to be crime infested tho . thx for cluing me in
Crime infested does not describe the area. It describes a few bad neighborhoods. The greater New Haven area is very safe, and there are many safe areas in New Haven. Don't let the Debbie Downers get to you...

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
Really? They obviously do not know the city. It has a significant amount of growth even during the recent economic downturn, is home to one of the most prestigous universities in the world and has many great nieghborhoods with wonderful shops and restaurants. Plus it has one of the largest bike to work populations and some of the most interesting and desirable suburbs in the state. Yeah, New Haven is a real dump NOT! Jay

Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
New Haven is probably the most livable city in the state. It has the same problems as any city, but so long as you stay out of the bad areas, you should have no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut