Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Horns are rude?
Nope. IMO, it's rude to not pay the frick attention when you're driving. Horns are a way to snap people into reality.

If it weren't for my horn, I would have t-boned a Range Rover on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Nope. IMO, it's rude to not pay the frick attention when you're driving. Horns are a way to snap people into reality.

If it weren't for my horn, I would have t-boned a Range Rover on Sunday.
Dude, you're just a magnet for nutjobs! lol

Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Horns just because you are unhappy with speed, reaction time etc are rude. If it helps avoid an accident, then lay on it by all means.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
I am moving to Weston, Connecticut from Westchester County, New York, this weekend. In Westchester, people don't beep at you all the time. It's considered rude. In CT, apparently this is not the case. (For example, I was turning left and was stuck in an intersection until the light for the oncoming traffic turned red. This older woman in a very large hat leaned on her horn, completely unnecessarily.) Will people be more polite when I lose the New York plates (because it's socially acceptable to hate New York), or is this the way that CT drivers roll?
Blocking the box is typical of a Westerchesterite. Please leave that entitlement mentality back in Westchester. Or, just stay there if you can't. Seriously.

THANK YOU!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,783 times
Quote:
It's really a coastal thing with CT, IMO. There's a major difference between the driving habits in Hartford vs Fairfield/New Haven. Driving on 91 a few weeks ago, it was like all hell broke loose once we got south of 691.
This is SO TRUE! When I drive down 91, once I get into the New Haven vicinity I start getting blown past on the right side, cut off, etc. People down there drive crazy. Hartford drivers aren't the brightest sometimes, but I've found people to be pretty polite.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,156 times
Actually, I wasn't blocking any box. There was room to get around me. I never block the box. I was just in a line to turn left, the person before made it through spaces in oncoming traffic, and I didn't until the light turned red. If I had not pulled up to turn left, I would have held up the traffic behind me. It's one of those situations where you're between a rock and a hard place. Do people in CT hold up traffic and then pull quickly in front of oncoming traffic when the light turns green? In Westchester, we pull up to let the cars behind us pass, and then turn when the oncoming traffic stops.

Last edited by nonny; 07-26-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
CT drivers know no boundaries. When you have CT plates, little will change.
Hey, hey, hey..whoa there. Not just CT drivers who are bad at times. Ever go on the Mass. Pike? Take a drive thru Springfield then tell me how bad we are as drivers. I do get my fair share of horn blowing, as I daydream at a red light and almost miss the green....hmmmm....seems like perhaps there could be more of us SENIORS who should take a driving test prior to driving each year? CT doesn't hold a monopoly on lousy drivers, trust me on that one!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,156 times
That's true. Mass. and New Jersey drivers are the worst ,in my opinion , because they pass on the right, which i hate. I was just ruminating that I learned to drive in CT and honk my horn more than anyone I know. I do think that it's a CT thing. It's true that I am new and am slow, also, right now. Driving in a new town is so confusing!!! But the honking is making it worse. I also see from the comments that I need to change my license ASAP to a CT one. Ugh. The taxes. Luckily my cars are not expensive. I do wish that people wouldn't hate all New Yorkers, though.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Dude, you're just a magnet for nutjobs! lol
Yeah, really. I do drive A LOT though, so that increases my encounters with morons behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Horns just because you are unhappy with speed, reaction time etc are rude. If it helps avoid an accident, then lay on it by all means.
Agreed. I can't stand when someone lays on their horn AFTER they get cut off, just because they're mad. Horns do not exist so you can 'yell' at someone. They are solely for collision avoidance.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
Actually, I wasn't blocking any box. There was room to get around me. I never block the box. I was just in a line to turn left, the person before made it through spaces in oncoming traffic, and I didn't until the light turned red. If I had not pulled up to turn left, I would have held up the traffic behind me. It's one of those situations where you're between a rock and a hard place. Do people in CT hold up traffic and then pull quickly in front of oncoming traffic when the light turns green? In Westchester, we pull up to let the cars behind us pass, and then turn when the oncoming traffic stops.
When the light turned red, you should have made your left if you were in the middle of the intersection - or even if you were past the line. Once you pass that line when the light is green, you are obligated to take that left as soon as there is a break in traffic, or oncoming traffic comes to a stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut