Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Lexington Park, MD
27 posts, read 40,876 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I'll try to not make this a novel! I have a bad habit of writing those, so I'll cut to the chase-my stats-moving to CT from MD, with my partner, Jessica.

I know it's common to find employment first, then living arrangements second. We are looking at making a few trips to CT prior to moving, which we'd like to be moved by the end of October-primarily by the middle of Oct preferably.

We are a lesbian couple in our early 30's, we'd like to start a family soon, so a gay-friendly area would be nice, I understand West Hartford seems to be the best bet for that? We'd like to start a family soon, but don't plan on being in CT for more than a few years-3 at the most, we are looking at buying for the short term though, since renting seems to be interesting! Regarding budget wise with buying a property in West Hartford, or nearby, do you think that we'd be able to find something under 200-230K?

Thoughts on any of these areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
20 posts, read 36,286 times
Reputation: 33
I'd say all four of those towns have a possibility of leaving you with no day-to-day prejudicial occurrences. Having said that, of the four W Htfd is the most likely to provide a consistent "no outward hating" experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,687 posts, read 56,476,753 times
Reputation: 11162
I am curious what made you select these towns. West Hartford is an upscale suburb while the others are more middle or working class. Also if you are not going to live here at least five years, it would probably be better to rent rather than get tied down to a house. JMHO, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM
 
5,989 posts, read 6,725,737 times
Reputation: 18485
West Hartford would be most welcoming to a gay couple - we have plenty already. My gay male friend was the head of the PTO when his kids were in elementary school here. Buy. The market is at rock bottom right now, and interest rates couldn't be lower. It would be cheaper to buy than to rent, and I think prices can only go up. You can get a little 1500 sq ft 3 BR in the not most desirable, but still acceptable, area of town for under 200K. Occasionally a foreclosed house will come up on the HUD homebuyer site for a better house in that price range, if you are an owner-occupant. West Hartford isn't so upscale - much of the town is middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM
 
3,482 posts, read 9,383,790 times
Reputation: 2732
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Buy. The market is at rock bottom right now, and interest rates couldn't be lower. It would be cheaper to buy than to rent, and I think prices can only go up.
Are you a Realtor? I ask only because the National Association of Realtors are about the only ones with that kind of optimism. Nationally, the banks still have tons of backlogged foreclosures that haven't hit the market yet. You won't know rock bottom until a year after the fact. If you are only going to be in CT (or anywhere in the US, really) for 3 years, I think you'd be a fool to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
20 posts, read 36,286 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Are you a Realtor? I ask only because the National Association of Realtors are about the only ones with that kind of optimism. Nationally, the banks still have tons of backlogged foreclosures that haven't hit the market yet. You won't know rock bottom until a year after the fact. If you are only going to be in CT (or anywhere in the US, really) for 3 years, I think you'd be a fool to buy.
I will interject here....

I was the guy in 2005 saying "you fools! granite counters are not an answer!"

I say NOW it's "all good". FWIW. YMMV. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM
 
21,547 posts, read 30,966,661 times
Reputation: 9658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Are you a Realtor? I ask only because the National Association of Realtors are about the only ones with that kind of optimism. Nationally, the banks still have tons of backlogged foreclosures that haven't hit the market yet. You won't know rock bottom until a year after the fact. If you are only going to be in CT (or anywhere in the US, really) for 3 years, I think you'd be a fool to buy.
I completely agree. Anyone suggesting someone buy when they're only going to be living here for a short time definitely has an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 AM
 
30 posts, read 46,966 times
Reputation: 19
yes, no, no, and yes, lol. I would literally look between west hartford and bloomfield, as the in between area of the 2 (w.h. headed towards bloomfield), is some of the best kept secret beautiful areas. I would not buy if I didn't have to, here or most places these days. rent if you can. if not that, you could maybe rent it out when you leave the area. otherwise, the house could and would be on the market for years. get in touch with a realtor for renting a home, you should have a good pick of things. enjoy, there's some nice stuff in the area, and stuff happening if you know where to look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Carolina
428 posts, read 827,007 times
Reputation: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
West Hartford would be most welcoming to a gay couple - we have plenty already. My gay male friend was the head of the PTO when his kids were in elementary school here. Buy. The market is at rock bottom right now, and interest rates couldn't be lower. It would be cheaper to buy than to rent, and I think prices can only go up. You can get a little 1500 sq ft 3 BR in the not most desirable, but still acceptable, area of town for under 200K. Occasionally a foreclosed house will come up on the HUD homebuyer site for a better house in that price range, if you are an owner-occupant. West Hartford isn't so upscale - much of the town is middle class.
I wondered about that statement too. W. Hartford is far more middle class and working class than upscale. I will say it has far more upscale features than the other three mentioned, which save Bloomfield are uniformerly working class it seems. I'd say w.hartford. The west end of Hartford which is borders West Hartford is noted for its gay population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,488 posts, read 4,689,809 times
Reputation: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I wondered about that statement too. W. Hartford is far more middle class and working class than upscale. I will say it has far more upscale features than the other three mentioned, which save Bloomfield are uniformerly working class it seems. I'd say w.hartford.
The majority of WH is middle class. You do have some wealthy enclaves as well as some working-class areas (most of which are well-kept) but overall it's middle class. I wouldn't call it elite, as a few people have, and I'm fine with that. Just very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont
The west end of Hartford which is borders West Hartford is noted for its gay population.
I've seen alot of this spilling over into WeHa lately. I have some co-worker friends who either are gay and live here, or have other friends who live here who are as well. Around Park Rd and the center it's not uncommon to see same sex couples holding hands. It doesn't seem to bother people. It's not surprising - anytime people want to live where there's cultural diversity, it attracts other groups where they won't feel discriminated against. Hartford/WH area is probably the most socially liberal area other than New Haven.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 07-24-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top