Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 08:57 PM

120 posts, read 147,362 times

Advertisements

Hi- Looking at a couple of houses in Farist Road neighborhood off of Stillson- near Jennings School in Fairfield. Is this a good neighborhood? Being a single mother- my main concerns are safety, schools and resale value in that neighborhood. I know Jennings is not considered the most desireable of Fairfield elem schools- but is it still a great school? A bit concerned being so close to Black Rock Turnpike in regards to safety and noise. It is a bit run down looking, but understand that is what is to be expected inmy price range for homes. any opinions/info would be greatly appreciated as I am from NY and need all the info I can get! thanks!!!

Last edited by alsier2004; 06-26-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsier2004 View Post
Hi- Looking at a couple of houses in Farist Road neighborhood off of Stillson- near Jennings School in Fairfield. Is this a good neighborhood? Being a single mother- my main concerns are safety, schools and resale value in that neighborhood. I know Jennings is not considered the most desireable of Fairfield elem schools- but is it still a great school? A bit concerned being so close to Black Rock Turnpike in regards to safety and noise. It is a bit run down looking, but understand that is what is to be expected inmy price range for homes. any opinions/info would be greatly appreciated as I am from NY and need all the info I can get! thanks!!!
My husband grew up in Fairfield and I have been there with him many times to visit his family and find it to be clean, safe and growing in the right direction. I asked him about Jennings School and he said it is a good school and that the area you are going to live in is safe. Black Rock Turnpike can get nutz at times with traffic but I don't think it is all that noisy. Good luck in your new home and with your new school. I was a single Mom and lived in a tough section of Meriden CT when my son was in Junior High...I did ok and am sure you will too. You already have a headstart on me, a better area to live in.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The neighborhoods near Jennings School look rundown??? Are you kiding me? This is a very nice middle class neighborhood with nice middle class homes that are generally well kept. I would never call it run down. Just because the neighborhood is not shiny new does not make it run down. So to answer your question, yes it is a good neighborhood and I would not hesitate to move there.

As for Jennings School, it is a very good school. Again I am not sure what you are comparing it against but if you review the Connecticut Mastery Test scores for it at the link below you will see the school performs well above the state averages. This means it is a very good school IMHO. Again I am not sure what you are looking for. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Run down? There are older homes, split levels, etc. so everything isn't new, but it's not ghetto. Nice area.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The neighborhoods near Jennings School look rundown??? Are you kiding me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Run down? There are older homes, split levels, etc. so everything isn't new, but it's not ghetto. Nice area.
I think the OP was trying to say that it appeared a bit worn and faded. You'll see lots of widowed grandma's living in Capes that haven't seen any maintenance in 10 or 20 years. You'll see it in every town, not just Fairfield. If the OP can overlook the aesthetics, it is a perfectly safe neighborhood in which to live.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 PM

120 posts, read 147,362 times
Thanks everyone for advice and thanks StatfordCt Resident for clarifying what I meant- rundown was a bit harsh- yes- I meant faded and worn. I was primarily looking in other neighborhoods- so just wanted to confirm as homes were priced much lower there. thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: