Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Favorable? Cold, snow, and storms cost me money. I want as little of that as possible.

Of course, if you're swimming in wealth, I guess the entertainment value of bad weather might be fun.
"Favorable" is a meteorligical word, not a personal word. Just like saying the pattern favors rain and warm right now. Just means what the "pattern" is supporting.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here's the setup for upcoming days...
3. Thursday. Out to Sea. Sunny and Cool.

Something happened that models are pushing this closer to us. Look how close the NAM 00z is now just out. This skims long island and eastern Ct with very light snow. Nothing more than a trace (meaning nothing)..

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
Agreed. My workforce in CT freaks out at the sight of a snowflake worse than their peers in TX. One snowflake and the Bridgeport schools close, forcing employees to take unplanned time off, and people who commute more than 20 miles suddenly have to leave early with hopes of beating the inevitable freeway gridlock. Snow is a labor-planning nightmare. I am a big fan of global-warming.
I am sorry but it usually takes a lot more than one snowflake to close schools anywhere in Connecticut. All towns rely on weather forecasts to determine if a storm is going to make roads bad enough to close schools or not. Those forecasts are sometimes right and sometimes wrong but schools generally will side with caution to prevent any problems. This happens in most parts of the country where you have winter weather. Jay

Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Favorable? Cold, snow, and storms cost me money. I want as little of that as possible.

Of course, if you're swimming in wealth, I guess the entertainment value of bad weather might be fun.
I would not worry too much: Based on the current pattern, temps have been above normal for most of December, and there is no sign that any wintery weather is coming anytime soon in the Tri-State area. While there was a big snowstorm up in MN a few days ago, and snow could fly late week up in the Great Lakes/Upper New England...areas from CT/NYC/Long Island southward will see little wintery weather for at least the next 10 days based on the pattern.

There looks to be little real change before early/mid January, so if cold/snow/storms cost you money you'll be happy.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sorry but it usually takes a lot more than one snowflake to close schools anywhere in Connecticut. All towns rely on weather forecasts to determine if a storm is going to make roads bad enough to close schools or not. Those forecasts are sometimes right and sometimes wrong but schools generally will side with caution to prevent any problems. This happens in most parts of the country where you have winter weather. Jay
Well, places were snow is SUPER common/frequent, like along the Great Lakes, it takes a bigger storm than here to close schools.

That said, I have to say that more often small storms cause delayed openings and early dismissals around these parts than outright closures.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

I dont have much to say on this December day.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

240 posts, read 537,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Well, places were snow is SUPER common/frequent, like along the Great Lakes, it takes a bigger storm than here to close schools.

That said, I have to say that more often small storms cause delayed openings and early dismissals around these parts than outright closures.
Schools near me will declare a 1.5 hour delay if there is even an inch of snow. I actually like when it happens because it makes my commute much easier, but it sure must suck for parents of young children.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Being a coastal area, we do have to worry more about ice than snow so that is likely why they are more cautious. Why jepordize lives if you do not have to? Jay

Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I dont have much to say on this December day.
I got something to say.............

Its a great day for instrument flying Hoping to launch around 7:30 tonight in fact.

Also got some more cloud time Sat morning and landed in a 200 ft ceilings at Worcester. I'll DM you a full write-up with pictures and video later.

Having the track go to the Great Lakes is perfect for the weather I like while keeping the Freezing level plenty high.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM

From KBOX

" Think it feels like spring outside? Today's high of 62 in Providence is the average high for April 24/25...Boston's high of 60 is the average high for April 27/28...and Worcester's high of 57 is the average high for April 19/20. The Hartford area has yet to get into the warmth...the high so far today has only been 49!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut