Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 PM

83,285 posts, read 74,525,174 times

Advertisements

I am calling off all severe storms for today. The rain out ran the convenction areas. Doesnt surprise me . Enjoy the drizzle and rain. (was Raining in Greenwich at 1:30pm)...we could get some heavier downpours before midnight.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,874,574 times
Well that sucks, when is this cold front going to come through already!!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,071,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Well that sucks, when is this cold front going to come through already!!
46 people have died directly from the heat this summer so far in the USA. How many people a year die from exposure to cold each winter?? Much less than summer, that you can bet. Much more dangerous weather in summer.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 4,961,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
46 people have died directly from the heat this summer so far in the USA. How many people a year die from exposure to cold each winter?? Much less than summer, that you can bet. Much more dangerous weather in summer.
We are SO lucky here in CT to have dodged the 100 F+ heat bubble that's been parked over the midsection of the country. My hometown Indianapolis has had the hottest weather since the 1936 dust bowl year...insane.

I hear dewpoints will be in the 50s starting tomorrow...can't wait!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Well canceled the day on the boat anyway. Can't risk killing people...
Now let the stroms come!! I love a good thunder storm
Maybe a little too late but, Marine Warning out now.

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR LONG ISLAND SOUND WEST OF NEW HAVEN CT/PORT JEFFERSON NY...
* UNTIL 930 PM EDT...
* AT 853 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
THUNDERSTORM PRODUCING STRONG WINDS OVER 35 KNOTS 3 NM NORTHWEST
OF SMITHTOWN BAY MOVING EAST AT 35 KT.
* THE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR PORT JEFFERSON HARBOR AROUND 905 PM...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS..
MARINERS CAN EXPECT GUSTY WINDS...HIGH WAVES...DANGEROUS LIGHTNING...
AND HEAVY RAINS. BOATERS SHOULD SEEK SAFE HARBOR IMMEDIATELY...UNTIL
THIS STORM PASSES. FREQUENT LIGHTNING IS OCCURRING WITH THIS STORM.

IF CAUGHT ON THE OPEN WATER STAY BELOW DECK IF POSSIBLE...KEEP AWAY FROM UNGROUNDED
METAL OBJECTS.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 PM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times
Got lucky with the fireworks! Had big t-storm at 5pm and lost power (but this being northeast PA and not CT they fixed it in 2 hours, not a week, LOL!), sun came out and it cleared up just in time for the fireworks, now another t-storm so I guess you might still get one over there......will be back tomorrow just in time for it to get cooler out.....

Old 07-08-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Got lucky with the fireworks! Had big t-storm at 5pm and lost power (but this being northeast PA and not CT they fixed it in 2 hours, not a week, LOL!), sun came out and it cleared up just in time for the fireworks, now another t-storm so I guess you might still get one over there......will be back tomorrow just in time for it to get cooler out.....
lol. Yeah, I've been talking about other power companies and it seems like CL&P more and more is the incompetent one. Now CL&P has been in full force clearing branches and trees within 15 feet of their wires (used to be 5 feet before the October Snowstorm).

I've seen them cut trees in half that are under the wires and I've seen them damage properties.

Little do they know The 30 foot tree 15 feet away or the 50 foot tree across the street can come down and knock down the wires and poles. Not to mention a branch that could fly into the wires from anywhere. . Instead of wasting time and damaging property and trees maybe they should just be ready next time and pay the outside crews on time.

Oh.. do they realize that 60-70mph winds can do this without trees or branches?

https://www.firstenergycorp.com/news...e_gallery.html

Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
There are a lot of variables. It can depend on the area of the country, in some areas you will have more cold-weather deaths than hot-weather, and vice-versa. Both can be deadly though, heat doesn't "win" the contest hands down. You have after-effects of the cold weather than can continue to kill for days, but a long heat wave can be even more deadly, as death can occur quickly.

Impacts of Temperature Extremes

The average number of deaths attributed to cold is 770 yearly, substantially higher than the number attributed to heat (Kilbourne, 1997).
Health Impacts

The health impacts of extreme cold are greater in terms of mortality in humans. It appears that the causal mechanism for cold-related mortality is not so much a single cold snap as it is a longer term chronic exposure. Thus the deadly nature of heat waves per se appears to be greater than that of short periods of extreme cold. Research indicates that those at risk are primarily either engaged in outdoor activity, or are the elderly who are chronically exposed to colder indoor temperatures. This mechanism of injury causes a different set of problems for community mitigation than the heat problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_wave

The belief that more deaths are caused by cold weather in comparison to hot weather is true as a result of the after affects of these temperatures (i.e. cold, flu, pneumonia, etc.) all contributing factors to hypothermia. However statistics have shown that more deaths occur during a heat wave than in a cold snap in developed regions of the world.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 07-08-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Looking at the long-range forecast, there's not chance of rain for the next week. At least the temps will be cooler, but it is very dry at my house. We have not had any storms or rain recently, other than a few brief showers.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM

10,004 posts, read 11,071,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
There are a lot of variables. It can depend on the area of the country, in some areas you will have more cold-weather deaths than hot-weather, and vice-versa. Both can be deadly though, heat doesn't "win" the contest hands down. You have after-effects of the cold weather than can continue to kill for days, but a long heat wave can be even more deadly, as death can occur quickly.

Impacts of Temperature Extremes

The average number of deaths attributed to cold is 770 yearly, substantially higher than the number attributed to heat (Kilbourne, 1997).
Health Impacts

The health impacts of extreme cold are greater in terms of mortality in humans. It appears that the causal mechanism for cold-related mortality is not so much a single cold snap as it is a longer term chronic exposure. Thus the deadly nature of heat waves per se appears to be greater than that of short periods of extreme cold. Research indicates that those at risk are primarily either engaged in outdoor activity, or are the elderly who are chronically exposed to colder indoor temperatures. This mechanism of injury causes a different set of problems for community mitigation than the heat problem.

Cold wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The belief that more deaths are caused by cold weather in comparison to hot weather is true as a result of the after affects of these temperatures (i.e. cold, flu, pneumonia, etc.) all contributing factors to hypothermia. However statistics have shown that more deaths occur during a heat wave than in a cold snap in developed regions of the world.
Good info. Are these cold weather deaths direct or indirect? I would put a cold in the indirect category. Also, the idea the cold weather causes illness is a misnomer. Yes, the cold weather can wear down ones resistence but it will not cause a cold or pneumonia hence indirect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut