Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times

Advertisements

I mean seriously, ya know?

My lease ends in July, so I'm extending it for 3-months and going to pay $1,558 per month for the short-term lease so that I can hopefully find a house to move to. I will have to do FHA with a 3.5% downpayment, since that's all I have saved up for. It would take years to reach a 20% downpayment. I have no clue how people do it unless they eat Ramen noodles for 4 years. So, I recently started looking at houses again (online and open houses) and guess what? I'm freekin' pissed.

It's the same old story as it was in 2011, 2010 and 2009. A bunch of overpriced old construction from the 1950s. All of my friends and family are ALWAYS warning me of the constant repairs and maintenance requires on homes built in that era or earlier. No thanks, I already have a full time job.

My criteria is as follows, and it seems impossible to find:
  • Built at least in 1960 or later.
  • Not near a highway (I hate noise pollution)
  • 1,000 - 2,000 sq ft
  • Up to $220K, maybe $240K if it has gas heating instead of oil
  • Garage must be included (attached or detached, I don't care)
  • Requires little or no updating (let's say less than $10K of updating or fixes)
What am I going to do? It's a crisis. I've been renting for 6 years, hating it and hating living in a shared property style of living.

I've been looking in Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Newington, Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Chester, Manchester and Windsor Locks. Can't find a damn thing that meets my criteria.

Again, I absolutely can't stand old construction. But how will I ever end this cycle of: Rent for a year, check out houses, get discouraged, rent for another year, check out houses, get discouraged, rent for another year, check out houses, get discouraged. I'm already 28 years old for crying out loud.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

My lease ends in July, so I'm extending it for 3-months and going to pay $1,558 per month for the short-term lease so that I can hopefully find a house to move to. I will have to do FHA with a 3.5% downpayment, since that's all I have saved up for. It would take years to reach a 20% downpayment. I have no clue how people do it unless they eat Ramen noodles for 4 years. So, I recently started looking at houses again (online and open houses) and guess what? I'm freekin' pissed.

It's the same old story as it was in 2011, 2010 and 2009. A bunch of overpriced old construction from the 1950s. All of my friends and family are ALWAYS warning me of the constant repairs and maintenance requires on homes built in that era or earlier. No thanks, I already have a full time job.

• Built at least in 1960 or later.
  • Not near a highway (I hate noise pollution)
  • 1,000 - 2,000 sq ft
  • Up to $220K, maybe $240K if it has gas heating instead of oil
  • Garage must be included (attached or detached, I don't care)
  • Requires little or no updating (let's say less than $10K of updating or fixes)
What am I going to do? It's a crisis. I've been renting for 6 years, hating it and hating living in a shared property style of living.

I've been looking in Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Newington, Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Chester, Manchester and Windsor Locks. Can't find a damn thing that meets my criteria.

Again, I absolutely can't stand old construction. But how will I ever end this cycle of: Rent for a year, check out houses, get discouraged, rent for another year, check out houses, get discouraged, rent for another year, check out houses, get discouraged. I'm already 28 years old for crying out loud.

Help!
I can't believe that you can't find anything that meets your criteria. I have seen several homes in that price range and square footage in Bristol, Plainville, West Hartford, Manchester, and Windsor Locks. I don't know about the other communities. In the Forestville section of Bristol there are several properties under $225k that are in very good condition and in nice neighborhoods. There are currently 204 homes in Bristol $225k and under. Manchester has 194.

I suggest you find a good realtor and narrow down the area you actually want to live. You should be able to find a nice place.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,107 times
Quote:
Built at least in 1960 or later.
Not near a highway (I hate noise pollution)
1,000 - 2,000 sq ft
up to $220K, maybe $240K if it has gas heating instead of oil
Garage must be included (attached or detached, I don't care)Requires little or no updating (let's say less than $10K of updating or fixes)
What am I going to do? It's a crisis. I've been renting for 6 years, hating it and hating living in a shared property style of living. I've been looking in Bristol, Farmington, Plainville, West Hartford, Wethersfield, Newington, Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Chester, Manchester and Windsor Locks. Can't find a damn thing that meets my criteria.
Help!
I see you have looked in quite a few places in Connecticut for a home but you have neglected some areas where you just might meet your criteria. I see you have been in the Bristol, Farmington and Plainville area but have not hit Plantsville, Southington or Meriden. All the outsirts of these areas have really nice areas with affordable homes. We live on the outskirts of Meriden and have an older home that was taken care of and is in a gorgeous section of the city. We have a huge pasture across the street that has all kinds of wild life, live on top of a big hill so we get to see the city full view from up here. Our home has 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a formal living room with fireplace, kitchen with skylight and Master bedroom has a sitting room that acts as a den. We also have an inground pool...came with the home. We have been here for 12 years and at purchase time the home was $189,000 now valued at close to $300,000 with all the improvements we made. We love it here, have great neighbors and it is super quiet. Give Meriden a look see on the ouskirts..you will be pleasantly surprised.
While living in Meriden, we are also close to Southington, Cheshire, Plantsville so we do get to drive thru those areas a lot and look at whats for sale. There are lots of lovely homes out that way and some smaller homes as well that would make you a great starter home for sure.
What do you mean 28 "for crying out loud"?? Hell, we were in our 50's when we bought this house..AGE is not relevant when you are looking for your first forever home! Good Luck.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
I will have to do FHA with a 3.5% downpayment, since that's all I have saved up for. It would take years to reach a 20% downpayment. I have no clue how people do it unless they eat Ramen noodles for 4 years.
Yes, eat Ramen Noodles, and get second job. If you put an extra 10% of your existing salary and all of your second salary away for a year or year and a half, you'll have your 20% on a nice condo or modest home. After paying down the principle for 5-10 years you'll have equity that will roll forward.

You asked, I answered. But you won't like it or listen...this we know.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 AM

42 posts, read 105,350 times
Absolutely, there are places available in Bristol and New Britain which are newer constructions and priced right around 200k. Currently have a client looking at exactly those homes. And nothing wrong with doing an FHA loan!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
I agree that their is plenty that fits your criteria. For example this home is in Bristol on the Farmington Line with many updates, a garage, built in 1966 and in your range. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M38420-00711

This is just one of MANY that fit your criteria, somehow, I think you must have more non nonnegotiable criterias that you are not mentioning or you would have found something by now.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,683 times
I'd just buy an older house that was built well. Dont fool yourself into thinking new means quality. I make a decent part of my money "fixing" houses 3 to 10 years old. Only reason I dont work on newer ones is it takes a few years for roof issues to show up many times. My house was built in 1940. The biggest things I'v had to do was replace the boiler which I did right off the bat, and replace the windows/insulate. Its true I did the last two myself but so can most people. Been 15 years of trouble free living since other than the odd repair here & there. WE replaced the kitchen too but only really needed cabinetry. My point is if you are willing to do a little yourself, or even if you contract it out, you can save a bunch over buying newer, especially when newer might not mean better anyway.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes, eat Ramen Noodles, and get second job. If you put an extra 10% of your existing salary and all of your second salary away for a year or year and a half, you'll have your 20% on a nice condo or modest home. After paying down the principle for 5-10 years you'll have equity that will roll forward.

You asked, I answered. But you won't like it or listen...this we know.
Amen Jesus.

Nep, you need to work your butt off to save the $$$. What's so hard to understand about that?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Amen Jesus.

Nep, you need to work your butt off to save the $$$. What's so hard to understand about that?
Oh come on. I've already been saving about $1,000 a month for years, but I had to pay off student loans and car along the way, which all amounted to $39,000. I would have been $39,000 richer had I not had to pay for those items.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I agree that their is plenty that fits your criteria. For example this home is in Bristol on the Farmington Line with many updates, a garage, built in 1966 and in your range. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M38420-00711

This is just one of MANY that fit your criteria, somehow, I think you must have more non nonnegotiable criterias that you are not mentioning or you would have found something by now.
Yes, that is a nice house, I agree. However, it's quite an awkward/long commute to my job in Berlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut