Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 13,839 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am considering a move from White Plains to Danbury.. I work in NYC and I know there are a bunch of folks taking the Harlem line from Brewster. Obviously, I haven't really thought about the hour and a half commute, but i am more interested in hearing about the area. I have seen gorgeous houses in Aunt Hack and Miry Brook section of the town and driven around the city couple of times but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary as some folks here suggested in terms of quality of life. I mean, if you have ever visited Yonkers or Bronx, the Latin American crowd seems to be more docile to say the least. But then again, I was with my realtor who probably steered me clear of any shady parts. Any general thoughts on Miry Brook section next to the Municipal Airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:39 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
That's a very nice area and not too far from the Southeast station (15 mins?). Your commute to the city would be LONG, though. I wouldn't do it.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 AM

21,499 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Why do that? There are so many other nice places you can live within a much better commute.

It's way over 90 minutes. You have to drive to the station (AT LEAST 15 minutes, the 84>684 exit area can get nasty), plus get to work from GCT.

What's your budget? Renting or buying? If you're buying and have a Danburyesque budget, why not consider towns on the New Haven line? Norwalk, Stratford, Milford, etc. Much easier commute.

I lived in the Danbury area for years, and honestly it is not special enough to warrant that kind of suffering. I always found it kind of ho-hum personally.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:12 PM

2,620 posts, read 7,389,291 times
The Miry brook section is very diversiable.Very nice homes, well maintained up there. Not much traffic heading to the highway and should avoid a lot of the traffic through Danbury from people that work in Danbury that live in Newtown or the surrounding suburbs. Easy commute. Prices are holding pretty well up there. The town airport is nothing really to worry about

Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,075,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Why do that? There are so many other nice places you can live within a much better commute.

It's way over 90 minutes. You have to drive to the station (AT LEAST 15 minutes, the 84>684 exit area can get nasty), plus get to work from GCT.

What's your budget? Renting or buying? If you're buying and have a Danburyesque budget, why not consider towns on the New Haven line? Norwalk, Stratford, Milford, etc. Much easier commute.

I lived in the Danbury area for years, and honestly it is not special enough to warrant that kind of suffering. I always found it kind of ho-hum personally.
Maybe Danbury found you ho-hum

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Maybe Danbury found you ho-hum
Sure, if you say so.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Really appreciate these inputs!!

I am looking to buy something just under 450K. Looked in Westchester (White Plains, Hartsdale, Crestwood etc) but 500K doesn't buy a lot of house down here. Not much different in Stamford and Norwalk also, although I agree commute will be easier. I lived in Stamford for a short while couple of years ago and 95 was a nightmare anytime of the day and the City didn't leave any lasting impression. Greenwich is obviously very desirable but I would be living in a box condo for the price. Hence, I decided to try Danbury which indeed has that New England charm compared to Stamford & Norwalk and even 400K buys a whole lot of house, pool and other amenities with way lower taxes than w/c. Obviously, commute will be a con and I am looking to be convinced to make the move.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM

How about Fairfield? Tons of charm and a MUCH easier commute. IMO it's a better town to live in than Danbury. It is a bit more expensive, but less than Norwalk/Stamford.

You could even go further out to Milford, which is a wonderful town and an ~80 minute train ride. You can live near the train and eliminate that long drive to Southeast. Just as affordable as Danbury and a much shorter commute. I have lived in Danbury and Milford and would choose Milford again without any hesitation whatsoever... especially for an NYC commute!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Stylo,

I agree Fairfield is probably a better option commuting-wise. However, my dad will be staying with us too and he works in Ossining. It will be a hellish daily commute from lower Fairfield on 95 to 287 then on to Sprain. Danbury is also far but doable at around 40 min.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,075,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
How about Fairfield? Tons of charm and a MUCH easier commute. IMO it's a better town to live in than Danbury. It is a bit more expensive, but less than Norwalk/Stamford.

You could even go further out to Milford, which is a wonderful town and an ~80 minute train ride. You can live near the train and eliminate that long drive to Southeast. Just as affordable as Danbury and a much shorter commute. I have lived in Danbury and Milford and would choose Milford again without any hesitation whatsoever... especially for an NYC commute!
Its more expensive. What makes Fairfield so much better anyway? The OP would do much better house-wise AND taxes-wise in the Danbury area. I will agree about one thing though...that commute will be tough although i know people up here that do it every day. But its also an 80 minute train ride. Milford is no bargain for commuting either. If you are close to Grand Central its do-able but figure on 1:40 each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut