Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:18 PM

11 posts, read 42,005 times

Advertisements

My partner and I both finally finished school and are wanting to try living somewhere different than the Midwest where we were both born and raised. We would both love to live on the East Coast within driving distance to the ocean (an hour or two) and somewhere scenic yet somewhat urban with a gay neighborhood.

I have read and heard that West Hartford is a very nice area and has an active gay community but we would be looking to rent at first and I'm having a difficult time finding anything reasonable and that allows dogs.

What is reasonable rent in West Harford? We've been trying to look for something $1,000 or under (student loans x 2 to pay back) that allows pets. Is this too low to expect for this area?

Are nurses in demand in CT? I would like to stay in Assisted Living/Long Term Care. Does anyone know appoximate salary for an RN in these areas with a few years experience mostly in management?

Is there any other suggestions for great places to live on the upper east coast that would be a good "first big move" for us?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Bobloblaw

Thanks for considering Connecticut- its a very beautiful state with quick access to the arts, visual and performing; also entertainment; clean beaches and forested state parks, woodsy hills, wineries, fine restuarants, famous schools and much history.

As a nurse, you should have no problem finding suitable employment. Pay for someone with your background should be excellent.

As for West Hartford, it certainly is one of the most attractive places to live in the state. With its wonderful downtown that is very walkable to unique shops, and fine restaurants of high quality.' Blue Black Square' which will soon be finished will only enhance the amenities it already has.

The town has an active gay scene, that is also in close proximity to the very large gay population in Hartford's west end. But New Haven 32 miles to the south also has a large gay population.

Rents are likely to be high- a nice two bedroom in a newer or historic pre war building that is restored will cost over $1200 a month.
With two dogs, it may prove to be difficult but not impossible. Manchester and Vernon (east of the Connecticut river) may have more apartment options for less money. Wethersfield is another option ( just South of Hartford)

You will be an hour from Connecticut's eastern shore beaches on Long Island and Block Island sound and less then an hour to Beaches on western Long Island sound in the southern and south western part of the state. You will be 1.75-2 hours from the open Atlantic beaches in Rhode Island. 1.5 hours to Providence ( very nice New England city with a large gay presence- and very crazy) 2 hours to Boston, and a little more then 2 hours to NYC. Vermont is 2 hours away, and the Maine Coast and Provincetown Mass 3 hours away.

The gay population here is predominant in Hartford, New Haven, Westport, and West Hartford- but also some of the states smaller towns like Essex, Salisbury, Woodstock, Litchfield and Putnam have a sizable gay population for their size. So the state has gay people everywhere really.

The states laws are among the top three in the nation for their liberalization. We have civil unions and gay marriage is likely soon.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-30-2007 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 01:39 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I would think that $1000 is not enough for a decent rental in West Hartford, but I am not sure. You may want to consider living in an adjoining town and enjoying West Hartford when you want to. New Britain would be more affordable, but be careful there are a few rough areas there as well. Check craigslist.com for listings. Also, I do believe nurses are in demand here. There are always ads in the Hartford Courant for nurses. Jay

Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 PM

Thank you so much for your help! I will check into the areas you recommended! I really appreciate it!!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:48 PM

One more question: are there any areas to stay away from (high crime)??
Thanks so much!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:05 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Connecticut's larger cities; Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, Stamford, Bridgeport, Norwalk, West Haven, Meriden, East Hartford, and New Britain have 'some tough' areas that have a crime rate that may be considered a 'problem'- 'high crime' here is in few areas.

Last edited by skytrekker; 09-30-2007 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut