Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM

337 posts, read 1,023,783 times

Advertisements

Docs don't make the money they used to in the mid-to-late 20th century but they're by no means in poverty. I know pediatricians who supported housewives, expensive private universities for the kids, and giant stately homes because they got into medicine a couple decades earlier. I'm likely going into ENT, cardiology, or pathology and I think I'll do just fine. And we actually provide a crucial service to society, unlike bankers, lawyers, or CEOs, who often do more harm than good.

On-topic, I've decided to stay home at least for a few more months and save my money. The selection of rentals in West Hartford and Hartford under $800 is just..... pathetic. If the commute becomes unbearable during my inpatient rotations, I'll re-evaluate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
As with the stock market, past performance is no indication of future performance. Look at what is happening around you. Unlimited supply of FMGs, all with no student debt. Government funding of residency programs, so that the larger the residency programs, the more money for those who run them. An explosion of PA and NP training programs (including on-line programs, with the tag of, "You too can become a nurse practitioner!"), some of which carry the title of "doctoral" programs, so that their graduates can call themselves "doctor". An increasing monopoly of private insurers beating down the payments for medical services. The inevitability of a single payor system when all this collapses. It's coming, and it's coming fast. All I'm saying is don't be a fool. Limit your student debt, so that you have choices later on.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM

30 posts, read 47,232 times
hey, did you find a place? it can be tricky right in the downtown area. I think the best thing would be to try to drive around in west hartford (more than hartford) and look for rental signs, hit some local papers, but more looking in person. close to downtown, and the road that leads towards bloomfield/windsor, I forget the name. start in the downtown area and work outwards, good luck bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut