Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
Wow jv, those pics of Hartford are gorgeous! Too bad they aren't street level though which would show a more accurate depiction of Htfd. But to each his/her own. Personally, I would never recommend Hartford to someone out of the area who does not know what they may be getting themselves into. And I know I will get bashed as usual for my honest input but here goes
What you consider honest, many may consider inaccurate. You can think you are getting "bashed" I would say corrected is more accurate.

You want street level pics? Okay, here is Trumbull on the park.

915 Main during construction.

Downtown Hartford is just fine. I don't think anyone said otherwise or recommended the bad sections.

Quote:
Most posters on this site are older, wealthier and go into Htfd and are out before it gets too late. I agree that after work hours Hartford is packed with professionals. However when happy hour ends those professionals go back to their suburbs.
Really? I'd put a good dollar that I spend a lot more time in downtown than you do, and know it much better.

Quote:
And again I understand the agendas of some posters who are trying to revitalize Htfd and get young professionals to move their but come on, put your agendas aside and don't mislead these poor out of towners.
Posters on an internet forum have an agenda to revitalize downtown Hartford? I'm thinking there is an agenda here, and it's not "us".

Perhaps you can explain all the housing development downtown. The literally thousands of units that have come on line, including the tallest residental tower in New England.

Quote:
There are very nice apts called The Lofts at Blueback square but they start around 1700 for a 1bdrm and I'm not sure if they include utilities.
They have an 8 month waiting list.

Quote:
CT is now the 3rd most expensive state to live in the US, now surpassing NY and CA.
Don't forget that also factors in the insane COL in Fairfield County where the average home price is over a million dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 AM

112 posts, read 243,306 times
Well hopefully the OP will visit Hartford and can make up his/her mind after a nice drive through the city. It may be for the OP and it may not. However as an out of towner I think they are entitled to the many various opinions of Hartford. Am I an expert on the city? Nope but are you? I am however, honest about the safety of it and bottom line Hartford is not safe. That is not my opinion but a fact, look up the numbers yourself, they don't lie the crime rates are outrageous. Is that fine for someone who, like you, travels there during the day? Yes. Is that fine for a person who has to live there day in and day out? I don't think so but that is my opinion.

As far as CT ranking third your logic makes no sense. Yes the numners include thegold coast but NY includes Manhattan, CA includes Malibu, Orange County, San Francisco areas etc and CT still ranks higher.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
As far as CT ranking third your logic makes no sense. Yes the numners include thegold coast but NY includes Manhattan, CA includes Malibu, Orange County, San Francisco areas etc and CT still ranks higher.
New York also includes Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and the rest of upstate NY which is VERY low cost. California includes lower price inland areas as well as the pricey major cities on the coast. In comparison Connecticut is pretty small. Jay

Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
In comparison Connecticut is pretty small. Jay
Right. Greater Los Angeles is about the size of Connecticut as a whole.

Area of greater LA - 4,850 sq miles
Area of Connecticut - 5,544 sq miles

Not a big difference.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
FFC makes up more than 1/4 of the state's population. Almost 1/3. And it's pretty uniformly expensive/wealthy by national standards.

Manhattan is 1/12th the population of NY. Upstate New York can be rather poor and inexpensive.

LA and SF metro areas combined make up only 1/6th of the population of California. Those are the most wealthy metro areas. Parts of the state are very inexpensive and rural.

Makes perfect sense to me. Hartford area is MUCH cheaper than the NY, LA and SF metro areas.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-18-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
New York also includes Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and the rest of upstate NY which is VERY low cost. California includes lower price inland areas as well as the pricey major cities on the coast. In comparison Connecticut is pretty small. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Not a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
FFC makes up more than 1/4 of the state's population. Almost 1/3. And it's pretty uniformly expensive/wealthy by national standards.

Manhattan is 1/12th the population of NY. Upstate New York can be rather poor and inexpensive.

LA and SF metro areas combined make up only 1/6th of the population of California. Those are the most wealthy metro areas. Parts of the state are very inexpensive and rural.

Makes perfect sense to me. Hartford area is MUCH cheaper than the NY, LA and SF metro areas.
That settles it. We'll just have to annex Rhode Island into CT to bring the numbers down.

Eh. On 2nd thought, i'll keep the #3 ranking instead.................

Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
Quote:
Well hopefully the OP will visit Hartford and can make up his/her mind after a nice drive through the city. It may be for the OP and it may not. However as an out of towner I think they are entitled to the many various opinions of Hartford. Am I an expert on the city? Nope but are you? I am however, honest about the safety of it and bottom line Hartford is not safe. That is not my opinion but a fact, look up the numbers yourself, they don't lie the crime rates are outrageous. Is that fine for someone who, like you, travels there during the day? Yes. Is that fine for a person who has to live there day in and day out? I don't think so but that is my opinion.
As someone who has lived in Hartford for the past 8 years, who moved here from Virginia knowing nothing about the state or Hartford in general, I find your remarks close minded. I love living in the City. How can you say "bottom line Hartford is not safe?" Have you ever lived in the City, or are your opinions just based on what you read and hear from other people?

I've lived here day in and day out for 8 years. According to your opinion, how am I alive to tell about it?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Hartford's crime is concentrated in the North end and South end neighborhoods. I think this is generally known and accepted. Downtown Hartford is safe...eerily so.

You assume way to much in my knowledge of the city. I am in fact there all hours of the night servicing many of the restaurants downtown such as City Steam and Black Eye'd Sally's, Tapas etc. I can tell you, on say a Sunday morning, I watch people living downtown get up, go for walks with their pets, get a coffee etc. There are no thugs on the corner etc. It's fine.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Not a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Thanks, I was hoping someone would chime in and correct that. I guess they don't teach statistical analysis in high school anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
That settles it. We'll just have to annex Rhode Island into CT to bring the numbers down.

Eh. On 2nd thought, i'll keep the #3 ranking instead.................
LOL I'll take Western Mass instead.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM

112 posts, read 243,306 times
Amy, I do not have to prove my knowledge of the city to you but since you asked. Yes, I do have personal knowledge of the city. My family grew up in Hartford, I worked downtown, in my younger years I hung out in Hartford every week at the more popular bars and unlike your 8 years, I have been in Hartford county for 20+ years. So no, it is not based on what I have heard it is firsthand experience. How long ago did you live in Hartford? And where exactly did you live? Since you have so much more experience with the area then I do why are you not offering the OP advice? Why are you instead trying to prove me wrong? Could it be the realtor thing? No agenda right?

Jay, if you have a wife and family like you state in your posts then why are you in Hartford on Sunday mornings watching as the residents wake up, eat breakfast, walk their dogs etc? Is there something we don't know about you?

As far as CT being 3rd you can all rationalize it and tear it apart all you want but it still comes down to one FACT and that is that CT is the 3rd most expensive state in the US.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Amy, I do not have to prove my knowledge of the city to you but since you asked. How long ago did you live in Hartford? And where exactly did you live? Since you have so much more experience with the area then I do why are you not offering the OP advice? Why are you instead trying to prove me wrong? Could it be the realtor thing? No agenda right?

Jay, if you have a wife and family like you state in your posts then why are you in Hartford on Sunday mornings watching as the residents wake up, eat breakfast, walk their dogs etc? Is there something we don't know about you?

You've been WHINING about the state for 2 years now. Just leave already. Or at least go back to your old thread, rather than clutter this OP's thread with your nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut