Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 AM

21,497 posts, read 27,747,936 times

Advertisements

Old Saybrook might be a good option as it puts you closer to New Haven, which has the only decent singles scene anywhere near New London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,698,626 times
Stylo's got it right- there really is no cool singles scene anyway out in the New London area.

New London has a small bar/ restaurant scene around the State Ct./ Bank St area. There are a few galleries in the city as already noted, plus the Eugene O'Neill theater. But there really isn't enough to keep anyone consistently interested in the area. What is does have is most of the rentals.

Downtown Stonington, what is known as Stonington Borough, is walkable and has lots of shops and character, but very, very expensive.

Mystic is the western portion of the town of Stonington and the eastern portion of the town of Groton . Again, charming, cute, walkable, has some rents, usually in those older homes that might interest you. But it's tourist oriented and not exactly a hot bed of activity for young singles.

You might like the Pawcatuck area of Stonington, right where it buts up against the town of Westerly. There is a very cute walkable area through there - combination of Westerly and Pawcatuck- with some shops and small galleries. You might find that rental over a shop or in an older home through there.
And it's close enough to head to Providence for a more nightlife.

Avoid Norwich, lots of rental of all kinds, but nothing to do for singles and certainly no interesting art scene.

Old Saybrook and Niantic are the most beautiful areas, but rents are few and far between, especially in Old Saybrook . But they put you close to the Old Lyme, which has an artist's colony, museum, art school, , exhibitions, etc.

All the towns and cities we're noting are basically small so you would have very easy access to all sorts of outdoor activities in any of them.

The only problem is that none of them are all that great for a young guy to meet women. Trying to position yourself to get close to Providence or New Haven might be your best bet.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 17,813 times
Again - thanks for all the replies so far. Seems like it's not the most happening place if you're not already married haha.

Going along with what everyone is saying - Maybe it'd be better to try and position myself between NL and New Haven - maybe somewhere like Westbrook, Essex, Clinton? Seems like it'd be a bout a half hour to work, and a half hour the other way to any younger, single people. Not a great prospect, but might be the best I can do.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM

21,497 posts, read 27,747,936 times
Clinton and Westbrook are good midpoints. You could get to NL or NH in under 30 minutes from there without traffic. You could also get to Middletown in under a half hour, which has a much smaller singles scene than New Haven, but is decent and better than NL.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Just out of curiosity - why does everyone say to avoid Norwich? Is it really run down, or has high crime? It seems like the rental prices are decent and the town looks to be ok size-wise - Is there just nothing to do there, or what's the deal?

Again, thanks!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
You might want to check out Westerly, RI.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about Westerly - Are there any young, single people there? Or is it generally only families?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryart View Post
Just out of curiosity - why does everyone say to avoid Norwich?
I checked, and the crime is below average. Norwich is poorer and has more minorities than the rest of the state. The area where the old Thermos factory was used to look like a war zone, with piles of broken glass and dilapidated buildings. But, they've attempted to refurbish the old factory as loft apartments.

I haven't been back in many years. I just don't know the good neighborhoods, except for the nice old Victorian area north of town. So, because of my ignorance, I could not recommend the area to a newcomer. But you may find that most of the city is fine.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:09 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,936,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryart View Post
I have heard a lot of good things about Westerly - Are there any young, single people there? Or is it generally only families?
I don't know much about it...but it attracts a young crowd during the warmer months. Seemed pretty active to me. Plus, you'll probably find it to be more affordable than towns like Old Saybrook, Mystic, etc.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 PM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't know much about it...but it attracts a young crowd during the warmer months. Seemed pretty active to me. Plus, you'll probably find it to be more affordable than towns like Old Saybrook, Mystic, etc.
I've been in Westerly at the bar with the pool tables and seen lots of singles. There is live music in a couple places. It's probably a lot smaller area than New London's bar/music scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut