Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 14,743 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a position in Rogers CT - I have a special needs 2nd grader - who needs autism support and a typical 5 yr old. So schools are very important. Would like to spend around 600 - 800k for a home - and would like to have a commute that is about 30 min if possible. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Rogers, CT? Is that even a town?

It looks like you already have a thread going on towns to look into. If you will be living in Fairfield County, you should look into Wilton, Weston, Fairfield, Easton and Redding.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
There's a "Mr. Rogers' neighborhood" joke in there somewhere.

Sorry.

I looked at it on Mapquest but I don't know any of the towns near there. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Rogers is a blip on a map. It's basically just a cross roads & postal code in the town of Killingly. That's way out in north eastern CT in a somewhat economically depressed area of the state.

For $ 600-800,000 you could by a country estate out there and would have among the most expensive of homes. This is pretty much an area that is mostly rural to very suburban. Don't know what you're looking for in the way of a home or neighborhood but you may be disappointed. What you're not going to find is a neighborhood of $ 600,00-800,00 homes. This is primarily a blue collar region.

Most schools systems out that way under perform. However, Woodstock schools have a 9 rating ( out of ten) on the Great Schools website. It's a very pretty town. What you have to keep in mind is that towns are small- Killingly itself has only some 16,000 people and is surrounded by towns with a few thousand to several thousand people.

Autism services may be lacking, just based on the size of the towns. I think you would have to take out a map and call every local school district and see what they offer. Legally they have to provide an IEP plan for your child, but they may do a co-operative type of situation with other districts which I have heard of being done out there before. Don't know if it would be true for your child. You'll simply have to do a lot of research.

Good luck

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Rogers is a blip on a map. It's basically just a cross roads & postal code in the town of Killingly. That's way out in north eastern CT in a somewhat economically depressed area of the state.

For $ 600-800,000 you could by a country estate out there and would have among the most expensive of homes. This is pretty much an area that is mostly rural to very suburban. Don't know what you're looking for in the way of a home or neighborhood but you may be disappointed. What you're not going to find is a neighborhood of $ 600,00-800,00 homes. This is primarily a blue collar region.

Most schools systems out that way under perform. However, Woodstock schools have a 9 rating ( out of ten) on the Great Schools website. It's a very pretty town. What you have to keep in mind is that towns are small- Killingly itself has only some 16,000 people and is surrounded by towns with a few thousand to several thousand people.

Autism services may be lacking, just based on the size of the towns. I think you would have to take out a map and call every local school district and see what they offer. Legally they have to provide an IEP plan for your child, but they may do a co-operative type of situation with other districts which I have heard of being done out there before. Don't know if it would be true for your child. You'll simply have to do a lot of research.

Good luck
I personally love that area for scenery and the quietness of it. Rogers is tiny, indeed. I agree that Woodstock is the best bet for services in that very rural area. Route 395 would be your main road out there. When you visit, be sure to check out Zip's Diner nearby. You are also not far from Mass. and RI - possibly you could live in one state and work in another.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Maybe Glastonbury or Coventry would be a good place to start for the OP?

Where does one work in such a sparsely populated area?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Rogers is home to Rogers Corp (http://www.rogerscorp.com/ ) which is not insignificant.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Maybe Glastonbury or Coventry would be a good place to start for the OP?

Where does one work in such a sparsely populated area?
Only industry I can recall is Rogers Corp. which I believe manufactures cutlery - it is a sizable plant. Other than that, don't recall much, but it is certainly a beautiful area and very peaceful. I thought Walmart was planning to build a large distribution center up in that area a few years ago - don't know if they every did, though.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

145 posts, read 320,675 times
Anything within a 30 minute commute is going to be a very small town. What about looking into Tolland or Ellington. Or you could look into living in Rhode Island.

If you want to do some research on Roger's Corporation, look into the division in South Windham that moved to China. Shut down the whole plant and around 150 people lost their job. But they also gave the employees 6-9 months notice so they had a lot of time to find a new job.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,975,595 times
There are only 5 houses between 600k and 800k within 10 miles of Rogers. None are over 690k. You can get plenty of land. One of them has 60 acres while another has 153 acres (although that one needs full restoration). I'd recommend the ones in Pomfret, though, is it is a nicer town.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...00?disp=1&ml=3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut