Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Connecticut or San Diego?
Connecticut 11 29.73%
San Diego 23 62.16%
Somewhere else (please specify in thread) 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM

89 posts, read 327,653 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm trying to decide between moving to San Diego or the southern part of Connecticut in Fairfield or New Haven County. Career opportunities are okay in either of the two areas, and the income will be roughly the same (around $100,000). I'm currently in the NYC metro area. Please tell me what you think is best given my situation.

- Single male, late twenties
- Want reasonable access to the city without living in it (I like peace and quiet in a suburban home)
- Like warm and sunny weather, but also like experiencing the four seasons
- Like relaxed and laid-back attitudes, but also appreciate sophistication and ambition
- Eventually want kids and do not want to have to move to a new metropolitan area
- Enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle with outdoor activities
- Like beach views and the beach environment, but also like being able to go to a busy downtown area
- Whole family is in the NYC area
- Don't want to be in the rat race and prefer a lower-stress day-to-day living experience
- Don't want to spend all day in the office and commuting to the office
- Like having a car
- Want to own a single family detached home with a garage in the near future

Thanks in advance for your time and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
- Single male, late twenties San Diego
- Want reasonable access to the city without living in it (I like peace and quiet in a suburban home) CT
- Like warm and sunny weather, but also like experiencing the four seasons Either
- Like relaxed and laid-back attitudes, but also appreciate sophistication and ambition San Diego
- Eventually want kids and do not want to have to move to a new metropolitan area Either
- Enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle with outdoor activities San Diego
- Like beach views and the beach environment, but also like being able to go to a busy downtown area San Diego
- Whole family is in the NYC area CT
- Don't want to be in the rat race and prefer a lower-stress day-to-day living experience San Diego
- Don't want to spend all day in the office and commuting to the office Nowhere
- Like having a car Either
- Want to own a single family detached home with a garage in the near future Either

Looks like San Diego wins. Honestly, if you're in your late 20's and enjoy a year round active lifestyle, go to San Diego. If you were a father of two and worked for a financial firm with a housing budget of 800k needing good schools, I'd suggest Connecticut.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
If there's one thing you definitely don't get in San Diego, it's the four seasons.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
If there's one thing you definitely don't get in San Diego, it's the four seasons.

OTOH, many people describe SD as having the most perfect climate in the country.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 AM

370 posts, read 608,712 times
I lived in San Diego for several years....it really depends on your exact location for a fair comparison. La Jolla, Pt. Loma and La Mesa are a few prime sections, but very expensive. Conversely, some sections are far cheaper (further inland),but it won't feel like San diego...more like Phoenix.

Since family is in CT, do you have friends in San Diego? It's extremely easy to meet new people in San Diego, but having a nice network will make your transition much easier at the beginning to prevent home sickness.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,602 times
I LOVE San Diego, but the main turnoff for me would be home prices. That said, I haven't looked at them much since the housing downturn to know whether it's become substantially more affordable.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Gotta live close to the water in San Diego or it gets pretty hot/desert-like.

There's definitely no four seasons. But the coast is beautiful, there's decent nightlife (nothing like LA though), and the weather is amazing. But if you don't mind winter then that's not really an issue.

There's only 1 season in San Diego basically. That's why people that like it go there.

I would personally rent in San Diego and experience it while you still can. Then maybe consider buying a house closer to home in a place like CT. I would personally not buy in San Diego.

By the way, if you don't mind harsh winters, it actually sounds like you'd really like Boston.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks, all, for your responses!

The areas in San Diego that I'm considering are in the La Jolla/Del Mar/Solana Beach/Encinitas/Carlsbad corridor.

I looked at the home prices recently, and it's amazing at what you can get in New Haven County for the same price of a small house on a small lot in the San Diego area.

What do you think about places like Milford and Guilford?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,602 times
Where would you be commuting in CT?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Most likely to New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut