U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Danbury CT covering all of Fairfield County
2,423 posts, read 6,431,539 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

I'm still waiting for Super 7. They need to fix 84 from Danbury to Newtown. Too much traffic. Need to fix the interersection of I-84 and Route 7 over by the mall and the exit 4 eastbound having to cross 3 lanes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
18,135 posts, read 21,721,741 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I'm still waiting for Super 7. They need to fix 84 from Danbury to Newtown. Too much traffic. Need to fix the interersection of I-84 and Route 7 over by the mall and the exit 4 eastbound having to cross 3 lanes.
Danbury > Newtown is a cakewalk in comparison. Not even comparable. I lived up there for over 2 decades. Most areas will have SOME traffic, it's inevitable - but SW CT is out of control.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: NoVA/SoFLO
18,397 posts, read 25,273,962 times
Reputation: 6803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Danbury > Newtown is a cakewalk in comparison. Not even comparable. I lived up there for over 2 decades. Most areas will have SOME traffic, it's inevitable - but SW CT is out of control.
Having previously lived in Danbury, I agree with this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
274 posts, read 468,090 times
Reputation: 272
Default How will we benefit from the $120,000,000,000 highway bill?

We don't. That money in addition to a very large chunk of our state tax dollars are going to the 9.6 mile boondoggle busway. At a total 'projected' cost of $569 million that's about $60 million dollars per mile!!! With that much money going into one wasteful project there isn't going to be any major improvements to the highways in Fairfield county. You all should be thinking about that the next time you're stuck in traffic on I-95. You should also remember that when others were trying to stop the boondoogle busway, you did absolutely nothing to support them.

The only people that will really benefit form all that money are the CEO's of the construction companies that get the contracts to build the boondoogle busway. That money will greatly increase their wealth but you can expect very little if any of that money to trickle down to the local economy. A few more projects like this will bankrupt the state. Maybe someone should email the governor to suggest building a bridge from New London to Block Island and see what affect that has on the state's economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Danbury CT covering all of Fairfield County
2,423 posts, read 6,431,539 times
Reputation: 1214
I have several people saying it takes 15 minutes from exit 2 to eastern Newtown when there is no traffic, but 1 hour when there is traffic. I had to go to one of my listings in Newtown near exit 10, leaving Danbury at 4:30 from Federal Road and it most have taken 45 minutes.I thought years ago they were supposed to be widening all the way through Newtown, but they haven't done that yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: NoVA/SoFLO
18,397 posts, read 25,273,962 times
Reputation: 6803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I have several people saying it takes 15 minutes from exit 2 to eastern Newtown when there is no traffic, but 1 hour when there is traffic. I had to go to one of my listings in Newtown near exit 10, leaving Danbury at 4:30 from Federal Road and it most have taken 45 minutes.I thought years ago they were supposed to be widening all the way through Newtown, but they haven't done that yet.
I remember hearing something about widening from Danbury to Waterbury, but I'm not sure where that project went. Like everything else that needs immediate attention in this state, it's probably on hold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 24,452,092 times
Reputation: 4542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Just some information about stacking highways. Dense cities around the world do it like Tokyo and Mexico City. They don't have to be ugly and maintenance is no different than the existing elevated highways in our state and country.

This Mexico City.




As for traffic flow it's easy. Make the upper deck an express with only a handful of exits to key points like Norwalk, Stamford etc. They can even turn the entire upper deck into one way commuting lanes based on time of day like they do in DC and open up huge capacity.
Yes they do , every week the highways are inspected due to being in Earthquake zones....and closed for 2 days after an Earthquake. CT may not have huge earthquakes , but that doesn't mean the cost will cheaper.... Elevated Highways are just long bridges , and need to be resurfaced every few years , inspected one a week or every few weeks , and the concrete needs replacing every 25 years hence why very few countries are building them these days. Instead opting for Tunnels which last longer and don't that much Maintenance. Japan plans on putting all their highways underground by 2035 , Korea by 2030 , Taiwan by 2025 , Mexico by 2030 due to Earthqauke concerns and Seattle & LA by 2035.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 19,309,162 times
Reputation: 3301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having previously lived in Danbury, I agree with this.
Not to mention that corridor doesn't really support a fraction of the economy that I95 does. Priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
We don't. That money in addition to a very large chunk of our state tax dollars are going to the 9.6 mile boondoggle busway. At a total 'projected' cost of $569 million that's about $60 million dollars per mile!!! With that much money going into one wasteful project there isn't going to be any major improvements to the highways in Fairfield county. You all should be thinking about that the next time you're stuck in traffic on I-95. You should also remember that when others were trying to stop the boondoogle busway, you did absolutely nothing to support them.

The only people that will really benefit form all that money are the CEO's of the construction companies that get the contracts to build the boondoogle busway. That money will greatly increase their wealth but you can expect very little if any of that money to trickle down to the local economy. A few more projects like this will bankrupt the state. Maybe someone should email the governor to suggest building a bridge from New London to Block Island and see what affect that has on the state's economy.
There is some serious push from the Feds to make that busway a reality...9 miles of nothing. Can't wait for the public housing to crop up around the stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yes they do , every week the highways are inspected due to being in Earthquake zones....and closed for 2 days after an Earthquake. CT may not have huge earthquakes , but that doesn't mean the cost will cheaper.... Elevated Highways are just long bridges , and need to be resurfaced every few years , inspected one a week or every few weeks , and the concrete needs replacing every 25 years hence why very few countries are building them these days. Instead opting for Tunnels which last longer and don't that much Maintenance.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-10-2012 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Removed flame
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
7,968 posts, read 5,258,214 times
Reputation: 3245
1) What I find funny is the NIMBY's in Weston & Wilton who blocked the 7 highway expansion to Danbury are now complaining there's too many traffic on their side streets. Gee I wonder why?? If the highway had been built, there wouldn't be so many cars on the side street.

2) We need to space out the exits. Exit/entrance ramp causes traffic jams (look at exit 5 off 95 for an example of this). On the Merritt, does there REALLY need to be exits at both 41 & 42?? No, I can get between the 2 on the side streets in less then 5 minutes. On the Merritt, in the short span between exits 44 -48 (at most 3 miles), do we really 4 exits?? No. They should just rid of either 46 or 47 one or the other I don't care, but its stupid to have 2 exits less than a half mile apart. Does exit 2 on 95 serve a purpose then just adding to ramp congestion?? I don't think so. I'd write more examples (can pretty much take all of Fairfield on 95), but I think you get the idea.

3) I'm all for tolls in Connecticut. People that live here or people that work at least 245 days (took out the weekends and 16 vacation days) in the state get a free pass. The people that just come through on the way to Foxwoods or the Cape, don't do anything except cause a traffic nightmare on a Friday should pay. Us Connecticut people can't drive through New Jersey, New York, or Mass without paying a toll, so why should the people that live in those states drive through CT without paying a dime??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
18,135 posts, read 21,721,741 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I have several people saying it takes 15 minutes from exit 2 to eastern Newtown when there is no traffic, but 1 hour when there is traffic. I had to go to one of my listings in Newtown near exit 10, leaving Danbury at 4:30 from Federal Road and it most have taken 45 minutes.I thought years ago they were supposed to be widening all the way through Newtown, but they haven't done that yet.
Why didn't you just take backroads? Pretty easy to do. Shouldn't have taken you that long. Federal Road > Route 6 > Route 25. Easy.

On the other hand, backroads aren't really an option in the 95 corridor.

45 minute delays in that corridor are the exception, not the rule like in Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport.

But either way JViello is totally right on economic priorities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top