U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM

3,144 posts, read 3,446,118 times

Advertisements

No complaints from me, nor my neighbors 7 express. Danbury in 15 minutes and South Norwalk in 18 minutes.

7 isn't the problem. During rush hour it is moving a heck of lot faster than 95 or 15.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM

18,380 posts, read 25,263,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
No complaints from me, nor my neighbors 7 express. Danbury in 15 minutes and South Norwalk in 18 minutes.

7 isn't the problem. During rush hour it is moving a heck of lot faster than 95 or 15.
I'm not sure how 7 is now since they widened it (I assume much better), but it used to be hell between Danbury and Norwalk in the early '00s.

I do think that super 7 would have benefited the region as a whole and eased some congestion on 95 and the Merritt (but perhaps created more congestion on 84), but I think the major risk of super 7 was the possibility of small businesses in Wilton and Ridgefield suffering. If that was the platform the NIMBY protestors ran on, I'm with 'em.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM

815 posts, read 1,767,120 times
Although there will always be jobs that require a physical presence, the amount of teleworking ("Work From Home") jobs has increased throughout the last few years. I know that when I worked in Norwalk (2007 - 2011), my job was all done via Microsoft Outlook, Excel and a few other proprietory online-based tools. Towards the end of my 4-year stay at that Norwalk job, most of my peers in the office (including myself) had transitioned to mostly work from home. We had a desk in the Norwalk office in which the company continued to pay for, but it was mostly unoccupied.

I talk to my old Norwalk co-workers all the time and they say the office is always deserted...very ghost-town like.

Too bad my current job at a new company doesn't allow teleworking even though 99% of it is also done using Outlook, Word, Excel, etc. The lack of flexibility makes me always want to look for something else or go back to my old job.

My point is that with more and more companies recognizing the need for teleworking (better work-life balance, don't have to pay for physical office space, etc.), it will hopefully reduce at least some of the congestion that we face down in southwestern CT.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 PM

508 posts, read 626,456 times
I have a few questions about this highway project... with all the tree knocking down they are doing.. are they making a road where the path of trees are going down?

Do they have a sketch of what it will look like when it's done?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM

627 posts, read 916,578 times
I'm pretty sure the actual priority project once funding becomes available is replacing the Waterbury "mixmaster" for a billion dollars or so. Also replacing the Hartford I-84 viaduct.

Both of these are elevated structures, and show that one of the main disadvantages of them is that they have a fixed lifetime like a bridge. And require a lot more maintenance than a highway on flat ground.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 AM

8,155 posts, read 19,306,766 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
I'm pretty sure the actual priority project once funding becomes available is replacing the Waterbury "mixmaster" for a billion dollars or so. Also replacing the Hartford I-84 viaduct.

Both of these are elevated structures, and show that one of the main disadvantages of them is that they have a fixed lifetime like a bridge. And require a lot more maintenance than a highway on flat ground.
That structure is almost 60 years old. Not bad. Not to mention when the mixmaster was built, we were still learning about road engineering. It's being replaced more because it's out of date in that regard than a structural issue.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-10-2012 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Response to deleted post

Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,830,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Double decker highway from Bridgeport to Stamford...that gets rid of the widening restrictions while doubling highway capacity, and tolls at the border with a free pass to CT plates so the out of staters pay for the use of our roads.

Why do I feel like the only person who's thinking about this outside of politics and emotional crap?

BTW Stylo and KidYankee I got your PM's, will reply asap.
Once tolls are allowed, don't think CT residents won't eventually have to pay them. I'd rather not take the risk. Say NO to tolls.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM

508 posts, read 626,456 times
So have they showed what this will look like when it's all done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut