Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM

241 posts, read 543,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So now a group of four cops (three of whom grew up out of state) represents an entire state? Bit of a broad brush there, huh?
Not at all! But my point is that this problem went on for a long time and required the FBI to stop it. When the full issue came to light, lots of people in the state acted totally shocked (shocked!) that it could have gone on so long and been so bad. I suspect that if someone came onto this forum complaining about prejudice in East Haven before the scandal blew up, there would be tons of folks chiming in to say that it was all in the poster's head... But I think that cultures like the one in the police department almost never develop in a vacuum. The department seemed to have the support of the mayor, at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
One of my favorite quotes.

“Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude”

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
Not at all! But my point is that this problem went on for a long time and required the FBI to stop it. When the full issue came to light, lots of people in the state acted totally shocked (shocked!) that it could have gone on so long and been so bad. I suspect that if someone came onto this forum complaining about prejudice in East Haven before the scandal blew up, there would be tons of folks chiming in to say that it was all in the poster's head... But I think that cultures like the one in the police department almost never develop in a vacuum. The department seemed to have the support of the mayor, at the very least.
Not at all? That's exactly what you did. You used the four officers (again, three of whom did not grow up in CT) as an example for the state.

Perhaps one should respect due process and hold off judgement until the four have their day in court...

Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM

241 posts, read 543,231 times
I am not trying to say that the entire state of Connecticut is racist. That is far from my opinion of the state. However, your original comment was,

Quote:
I don't know anyone in CT that would discriminate against a person for anything - except being a human being with poor judgement.
In my mind, the East Haven problems, regardless of where the police officers originally came from, are a counterexample. And the mayor's comments on the whole issue were tone deaf beyond belief, making me suspect that racial tension went somewhat beyond a few people in the police department. So it bugs me when people like katnip try to offer a perspective from their own experiences in Connecticut and get jumped on with insinuations that anything they experienced must have been their own fault. Would folks have believed latinos from East Haven a few years ago if they tried to talk about their experiences on this forum?

The point I was really trying to make is that I think a lot of folks I've met in Connecticut are not very attuned to racial issues, to the point where it is hard to even get people to see eye to eye on what might be construed as offensive behavior or to acknowledge that there might be racial issues in the state.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
So it bugs me when people like katnip try to offer a perspective from their own experiences in Connecticut and get jumped on with insinuations that anything they experienced must have been their own fault. Would folks have believed latinos from East Haven a few years ago if they tried to talk about their experiences on this forum?
I'll repost:

Quote:
Perhaps one should respect due process and hold off judgement until the four have their day in court...

Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea that worked out well for Meriden. A once, beautiful good city was destroyed after they plopped public housing right in the core of the city.

Section 8 is welfare. If you don't want to be on welfare, improve your life and do something about it. It's not my job to raise someone elses kids or be expected to degrade what I've worked for in the name of some wacked out social engineering game.

All those government programs and ideas worked so well since the 60's...can't you tell? The bluest of social progressive places are the most burnt out crime ridden sh*tholes in the nation.
I don't know about the part of Meriden you refer to, but a public housing project is not really what I'm talking about. Section 8 usually refers to there being some homes in an otherwise medium income neighborhood that are subsidized.

A friend of mine lives in a very nice middle class neighborhoood in marin county, California - A few of the houses are Section 8 and are spread out throughout the neighborhood, but you wouldn't know it. You'd never be able to tell which are the Section 8 ones.

Obviously that's not everywhere but there are definite positive examples - that's actually the preferred outcome. it's the exact opposite of a housing project where you are basically putting the poorest of the poor all in the same few overpopulated buildings, then letting the buildings rot unmaintained and leaving residents to police themselves.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
Quote:
Re: "we don't hire your kind"...

I'm guessing they were talking about your attitude, and you resorted to the oh-so-often accusation of something else.
Her exact words. I guess you like to jump to conclusions about events you know nothing about and people you have not met. You are insulting. Interesting you, ahem, prejudge so much. And for your information, this person did the same thing to an Asian Indian young woman who attended the local high school who tried to apply there.As for my appearance and demeanor, it is interesting that JayViello jumps to a conclusion that the reason people aren't hired is largely due to attitude or dress. My, how...openminded (sarcasm there) of you. Take that belief and the problem of hate will NEVER be addressed because you keep your head in the sand.

Last edited by katnip kid; 08-08-2012 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
Quote:
I

it bugs me when people like katnip try to offer a perspective from their own experiences in Connecticut and get jumped on with insinuations that anything they experienced must have been their own fault. Would folks have believed latinos from East Haven a few years ago if they tried to talk about their experiences on this forum?

The point I was really trying to make is that I think a lot of folks I've met in Connecticut are not very attuned to racial issues, to the point where it is hard to even get people to see eye to eye on what might be construed as offensive behavior or to acknowledge that there might be racial issues in the state.
Thank you. I was born and raised in the state. When I think of the comments and actions that I was a victim of and what I heard and had recounted to me, all I can say is if you ignore what people say, you aren't doing anyone any favors. Acknowledge what exists or has happened. That is someones reality. Hear people out. If you bury your head in the sand, all you get is your rear end kicked.

My family and many others never found CT to be a hot bed of tolerance and make-nice. Nope. I have puh-lenty good reasons to say CT is a racist and hateful place.Perhaps KidYankee and JayViello could tell us what part of CT they were born and raised in.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:36 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Nope. I have puh-lenty good reasons to say CT is a racist and hateful place.
You should try Texas, where the racism is institutionalized.

In reality, I find this pretty insulting-- and naive. It's as naive as saying "No one in CT would discriminate".

When you talk in absolutes, you are usually absolutely wrong.

As far as section 8 housing-- while there are many examples of abuse, the focus should be on eliminating the abusers and on cleaning up the program. For many single mothers, for example. the program is a god-send, allowing them to live in suburban neighborhoods, instead of a ghetto, with low incomes...

Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Perhaps KidYankee and JayViello could tell us what part of CT they were born and raised in.
North end of Waterbury rough neighborhood. Things are not as insular as you think and frankly it's YOUR view that's myopic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut