Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

If you like the character of Ridgefield, check out Newtown and Bethel as your top choices. While neither have as "upscale" an appearance, they do have very "New England" town centers. Bethel's is more like Ridgefield's main street with cute shops and restaurants, while Newtown is heavy on historic homes. They both have good schools and I've heard positive anecdotal feedback about both (funny enough, my Bethel friends seem to be the most excited about their schools).

IMO, working in Danbury and with your budget - Ridgefield is not worth the sacrifice you'll have to make on a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
IMO, working in Danbury and with your budget - Ridgefield is not worth the sacrifice you'll have to make on a home.
I second that.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The towns mentioned (Ridgefield, Newtown, Brookfield, New Fairfield and Bethal) all have very good schools. I suggest you visit each town and see which is more to your likeing. For information on schools in Connecticut check the website below. Look for schools that perform above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests and have reasonable class sizes. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
Newtown and Bethel are both good choices, and you will get more for your money than in Ridgefield. I like Newtown more than Bethel, but you may feel differently, so it's worth checking out both towns.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I like Newtown more than Bethel...
Me too.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If you like the character of Ridgefield, check out Newtown and Bethel as your top choices. While neither have as "upscale" an appearance, they do have very "New England" town centers. Bethel's is more like Ridgefield's main street with cute shops and restaurants, while Newtown is heavy on historic homes. They both have good schools and I've heard positive anecdotal feedback about both (funny enough, my Bethel friends seem to be the most excited about their schools).

Except that while you may be working in Danbury now, if you choose something farther out (from NYC) and end up losing that job or wanting to change jobs, it may be harder to find something commutable. What I love about Ridgefield is that it's still very commutable to Stamford and Norwalk (about 30-50 minutes depending on where in town you are and where you're going) and you can pretty easily commute to NYC. Moving out to Newtown will seriously limit your ability to commute easily and quickly to those locations.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Moving out to Newtown will seriously limit your ability to commute easily and quickly to those locations.
Ridgefield is not an easy commute to NYC, IMO. It's at least 100+ minutes each way.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,214 times
100+ is a bit of an overstatement. I have a number of associates who drive to katonah and take metro north from there. Door to door, roughly 80 minutes. It's actually a respectable driving commute, provide you live close to 84/684. 684 is smooth sailing unless there is a major accident. 60-70 minutes to midtown.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM

92 posts, read 203,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Ridgefield is not an easy commute to NYC, IMO. It's at least 100+ minutes each way.
I agree ... Rough commute to NYC without a doubt. Your options would be either the DanburY line (which I affectionately refer to as "petitcoat junction") or a drive/bus ride to Katonah for more frequent and faster train service. Either way though, you're talking a MINIMUM of 90 minutes from your front door to grand central-- and that would be the train platform at grand central-- it does not include getting off the train, walking up the stairs and then facing any follow-up subway commute you may have. It could easily add up to a 1 hour 45 minute commute each way. Unless it's an awesome job, it's (imo) so not worth it. Ridgefield to Stamford on the other hand would be about 40 - 45 min. Absolutely doable. newtown to Stamford though would not be fun. By the way, LOVE Ridgefield and it would definitely be me choice over newtown in a heartbeat!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
100+ is a bit of an overstatement. I have a number of associates who drive to katonah and take metro north from there. Door to door, roughly 80 minutes. It's actually a respectable driving commute, provide you live close to 84/684. 684 is smooth sailing unless there is a major accident. 60-70 minutes to midtown.
Not really.
  • Ridgefield to Katonah is a 15-20 minute drive, not counting waiting on the platform.
  • Train to Manhattan is 60-70 minutes, depending on train.
  • Walk to office, say 10 minutes at the least, and if you work anywhere outside of midtown, it can be up to 30 minutes - so say about 15 minutes.
17+65+15 = 97 minutes each way. That's not an easy commute.

And if you drive, 684 is not the worry. It's the Cross County, Henry Hudson, the WS highway or the FDR. Driving isn't as easy as you suggest - not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut