Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You're sitting there ranting about irresponsible drivers when your said actions are among the most irresponsible of them all.
Hmmmm, interesting. Well, I must be doing something right because I've never been issued a citation for speeding, and the last car accident I was involved in (which wasn't my fault, by the way) was over 7 years ago.

I'm afraid I must concur with Blazah, and where he/she stands on this issue. Nobody is suggesting we "bully" seniors, as you put it. What I am suggesting, however, is that they, too, be held accountable for their actions. I don't see that in this day and age. There seems to be little accountability for this kind of behavior and it really pisses me off. You know, this kind of road behavior, not really an ideology here - just bein' a douche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Hmmmm, interesting. Well, I must be doing something right because I've never been issued a citation for speeding, and the last car accident I was involved in (which wasn't my fault, by the way) was over 7 years ago.

I'm afraid I must concur with Blazah, and where he/she stands on this issue. Nobody is suggesting we "bully" seniors, as you put it. What I am suggesting, however, is that they, too, be held accountable for their actions. I don't see that in this day and age. There seems to be little accountability for this kind of behavior and it really pisses me off. You know, this kind of road behavior, not really an ideology here - just bein' a douche.
I'm not talking about you being issued a traffic infraction. I'm referring to you exiting your car to confront someone who cut you off; more specifically, the vulnerable. That's nothing short of being a bully, and if you really do this, I hope you're eventually arrested for it. Your attitude is the last thing we need on our roads.

You are not to see to it that other people are "held accountable". That's for the police to do. If you don't feel they're doing their job, submit a formal complaint to the police department. If you feel the laws aren't strict enough, write to Hartford to do something about it.

But do NOT endanger everyone else on the road because you can't control your temper.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Kid- where did I say "GET OUT OF MY CAR"..

Nobody said anything about that.

Pulling up next to a car, extending your hand out of the window and giving the window a light "tap tap" - having that person roll down the window and then ASKING THE DRIVER "You just blew through a red light, did you even notice!?" is NOT beating up old people!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Kid- where did I say "GET OUT OF MY CAR"..

Nobody said anything about that.

Pulling up next to a car, extending your hand out of the window and giving the window a light "tap tap" - having that person roll down the window and then ASKING THE DRIVER "You just blew through a red light, did you even notice!?" is NOT beating up old people!
If you can reach your arm out the window of your car to tap on their window, then you're either right up against their car or have abnormally long arms.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
If you can reach your arm out the window of your car to tap on their window, then you're either right up against their car or have abnormally long arms.
A little of both ..

it's exactly what I did and I still feel that the driver needed to be called on his 45 mph jaunt through a red light that could have killed someone. Even if the only thing it accomplished was him thinking about it later on in the day, thinking "that guy was mad at me... i should be more careful"

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
A little of both ..
Sorry, I'm still calling BS.

And even if you're telling the truth, you still have no right to tap on his window. That's called "breach of peace", my friend, and if the officer really doesn't like you, you can get "creating a public disturbance". As a Class B Misdemeanor, it can land you in jail.

Keep that in mind next time you want to "set someone straight".

Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about you being issued a traffic infraction. I'm referring to you exiting your car to confront someone who cut you off; more specifically, the vulnerable. That's nothing short of being a bully, and if you really do this, I hope you're eventually arrested for it. Your attitude is the last thing we need on our roads.
I've yet to be in a position where I've actually done this. But it's not hard to empathize with those who do. I certainly hope YOU never find yourself in a position where your vehicled is totaled due to incompetence as my friend did recently. If you do, you might not be so quick to pass judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764
You are not to see to it that other people are "held accountable". That's for the police to do. If you don't feel they're doing their job, submit a formal complaint to the police department. If you feel the laws aren't strict enough, write to Hartford to do something about it.
You don't think this has already been addressed in the past? The state knows about this. Their response was to implement red-light cameras, and that was killed by the state troopers' union. Whether or not that really would have been a deterrent or just a revenue booster (which IMO was the reason the state was pushing it) is another issue. Bottom line, it's a moot point. If I did bring it up it would only fall on deaf ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764
But do NOT endanger everyone else on the road because you can't control your temper.
That's my advice for the OTHER people on the road, the ones antagonize you and I - the ones who tailgate when there's a sea of cars in front of us, the ones who veer across lanes without signaling and act like the highway like a drag strip, the ones who feel entitled to cut us off, etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I've yet to be in a position where I've actually done this. But it's not hard to empathize with those who do. I certainly hope YOU never find yourself in a position where your vehicled is totaled due to incompetence as my friend did recently. If you do, you might not be so quick to pass judgement.
Actually, I've had my vehicle hit twice in the past year. First was a douche from the Milford area who slammed into the back of us and took off. Second was a girl who was tailgating me and crashed into the back of us when we stopped for traffic (in our BRAND NEW car). That's due to incompetence, no?

Who is passing judgement? I'm factually telling you that retaliating verbally can get you arrested. Then who is the fool?

Quote:
You don't think this has already been addressed in the past? The state knows about this. Their response was to implement red-light cameras, and that was killed by the state troopers' union. Whether or not that really would have been a deterrent or just a revenue booster (which IMO was the reason the state was pushing it) is another issue. Bottom line, it's a moot point. If I did bring it up it would only fall on deaf ears.
Still gives you no right to take it into your own hands.

Quote:
That's my advice for the OTHER people on the road, the ones antagonize you and I - the ones who tailgate when there's a sea of cars in front of us, the ones who veer across lanes without signaling and act like the highway like a drag strip, the ones who feel entitled to cut us off, etc.
In Connecticut, you have a duty to retreat unless your life is being threatened. Sure, it maddens me like crazy when people are like that. But you know what I do? Take a deep breath, move over, and let them do what they want to do. In the end, I'll get myself and my passengers home without confrontation. That's the responsible thing to do IMO.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 11,761 times
Connecticut is home to the worst drivers I've ever had the displeasure of sharing the road with. Trophy wives in Stamford like to back out of parking lots without looking, as if nobody should deign to be in their way. West Hartford is a death trap of elderly incompetents and vapid soccer moms in giant SUVs. And the rougher cities like New Britain and Waterbury? Might as well just ignore traffic lights altogether.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm still calling BS.

And even if you're telling the truth, you still have no right to tap on his window. That's called "breach of peace", my friend, and if the officer really doesn't like you, you can get "creating a public disturbance". As a Class B Misdemeanor, it can land you in jail.

Keep that in mind next time you want to "set someone straight".
Call bs all you want, it happened and i did it. I am 6 5 so maybe my arms are just long.

And no, I will not be landing in jail for telling someone they missed a red light and almost killed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut